View Full Version : RCA HI-LITE CRT brochure Aug 1967

old_tv_nut
03-28-2015, 07:42 PM
http://www.bretl.com/tvarticles/documents/TodaysRCAHiLite0867.pdf
(3 MB pdf, 12 pages))

Brochure touting the features and quality of RCA color CRT's, published in August 1967.

Note the chart of CRT brightness improvements on p.4. Brochure says the latest is yttrium oxysulfide:europium, and is better than previous rare-earth screen, which I'm guessing was a vanadate rare earth red.

P. 6 illustrates the beam current ratios. This is still for the cyan-tinted 9300 degrees K +27 MPCD white color. The brochure claims this is less cyan than some TV makers had been using. If you plot this white point, it is obvious that the tube is still lacking red, only not anywhere as severely as earlier tubes.

This cyan white was one of the contributing reasons for poor color stability, as people would turn up the color to get pinker flesh tones, making the set more susceptible to signal variations. By the mid 70's, Zenith had moved to an 8000 K white, still not the studio standard, but much less blue. Some sets, like Mitsubishi CRT rear projectors, stayed very cyan to the end.

KentTeffeteller
03-29-2015, 10:15 PM
Very interesting information and quite the education. Back then, RCA did excellent instructional literature for technicians, among the best in the industry.

BigDavesTV
03-30-2015, 09:46 AM
Excellent color brochure, thanks for sharing.

Findm-Keepm
03-30-2015, 09:55 AM
That brochure was an insert in a December issue of PF Reporter Magazine, IIRC. I've got one somewhere in my pile of old magazines.

tubetwister
06-08-2015, 09:57 AM
way cool......interesting I Was in H.S.then worked at a Magnavox dealer later maybe 69 P.T +_ say sometimes sun. still in school gofer,installer,antennas,tube changer some adj and set up *some minor bench work with oversight from the pros usually something cheap or off brand or B/W they didn't want to mess with but in their que handed off 2me (3 seasoned techs ) They had RCA tubes in the shop color jigs