View Full Version : Greetings from Russia!

Gleb
03-28-2015, 04:56 AM
Hi colleagues !
I got here a few days ago to ask a question, and I immediately got the answer, thank you members ! Even though Russian TVs are different, I hope it would be interesting to the community and we'll find a lot to share !

Gleb.

Username1
03-28-2015, 07:44 AM
Cool ! ! Welcome aboard ! ! Good to have ya- !

Celt
03-28-2015, 07:54 AM
Welcome! :wave:

vts1134
03-28-2015, 08:34 AM
Welcome Gleb! I love your КВН-49 in your profile picture.

Gregb
03-28-2015, 09:47 AM
Welcome from Canada!

Gregb

Gleb
03-28-2015, 01:06 PM
Thanks for the kind words guys !

I love your КВН-49 in your profile picture

Yes, this cute TV is my favourite too. By the way, it has very curious design, even a sort of unique - the only TV in the world with a straight-amplifying tuner! I gonna write an article about it here.

Gleb

DavGoodlin
03-28-2015, 09:49 PM
Welcome Gleb, to the forum for us "rare" types who eschew the common content delivery methods.

I really enjoy seeing how non-US sets are built and the circuits used.

Sandy G
03-28-2015, 10:09 PM
Nice to have ya, Pal ! Welcome from NE Tennessee ! TV & radio nutz have no nationalities, we're ALL happily CRAZY w/this stuff ! (grin)

jr_tech
03-28-2015, 10:39 PM
it has very curious design, even a sort of unique - the only TV in the world with a straight-amplifying tuner! I gonna write an article about it here.

Like a TRF radio, with no down-conversion to an IF amplifier? :scratch2:
Looking forward to the article!

jr

electronjohn
03-29-2015, 08:36 AM
Welcome!

baursam
03-29-2015, 10:13 PM
Welcome Gleb!! Great to have you here!!

maxhifi
03-30-2015, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the forum! I have quite a few examples of Soviet electronics, but a TV is just to heavy to bring back to Canada. I find it fascinating that the USSR was producing black and white tube chassis TVs well into the 80s, and look forward to photos!

Gleb
03-31-2015, 05:05 AM
I find it fascinating that the USSR was producing black and white tube chassis TVs well into the 80s

Here really were some weird things. On the one hand, fully-semiconductor color TVs with aperture grille CRT in late 60s! On the other hand, B/W tube TVs were really being produced inertially up to mid 80s...
Of course, those late "tube" TVs were not chassis-designed tube monsters. They contained a vertical tin frame around a CRT holding a few PCB boards with some tubes poking out of them. The tubes were used in output stages only to simplify the circuits, and mainly for price-reducing reasons. For example, in 70s a good high-voltage flyback transistor in DO-3 package was valued notably higher than EL500 cheap as dust, so designers made no bones of using some tubes in inexpensive TVs. Sometimes it looked really crazy, for ex you could see a modern DIP-14 IC as a video detector/preamp and 6BM8-like tube in the output stage. Of course, in 80s tubes were completely ousted by cheap plastic transistors and special ICs.
I remember my grandparents bought one of those discounted vestigial TVs in 1987 to use it in their summer house. It really was very inexpensive, so they weren't afraid that somebody could steal it from the empty house in winter:

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=186392&stc=1&d=1427802914

maxhifi
04-01-2015, 10:29 AM
I like the euro style TVs which expose the front edge of the CRT, instead of hiding it behind a shadow mask. I wonder if it would even be possible to get one of those to display an NTSC picture.

Electronic M
04-01-2015, 07:36 PM
I like the euro style TVs which expose the front edge of the CRT, instead of hiding it behind a shadow mask. I wonder if it would even be possible to get one of those to display an NTSC picture.

A 'shadow mask' is an internal component found only in color CRTs....It is not an external mask or bezel like what you are thinking about.

maxhifi
04-01-2015, 09:46 PM
A 'shadow mask' is an internal component found only in color CRTs....It is not an external mask or bezel like what you are thinking about.

Of course you're right, and I even knew that - should have has a better breakfast today, sometimes I don't think too clearly on an empty stomach!

Electronic M
04-01-2015, 10:59 PM
Yeah, we all are a little less our selves when hungry.

As per the other part of that post of yours that I quoted. Monochrome sets are much easier to feed NTSC. I'd imagine that if you imported a composite video to RF modulator made for it's country of origin, fed that mod off an NTSC source, and tweaked the H and V oscillators (might need some RC component swaps if there is not enough range), and as long as the set's native standard did not use white level synch (some standards did use inverted synch) it will probably work.

For color and inverted synch sets it becomes more challenging....Some cheap DVD players can probably be hacked to put out the right standard, it may be possible to output other standards with a computer that has video card that supports composite video (may need to mess with the OS, drivers, and region), and there is always the option of getting a multi-standard VCR.

I've never owned a non-NTSC set, but I've always though it would be interesting.

kdegru
04-08-2015, 11:37 AM
Hi colleagues !
I got here a few days ago to ask a question, and I immediately got the answer, thank you members ! Even though Russian TVs are different, I hope it would be interesting to the community and we'll find a lot to share !

Gleb.

What is the year make and model of the pictured TV?

Gleb
04-08-2015, 12:19 PM
KVN-49, 1951
(KBH-49 in cyrillic, the first letters of the engineer's last names and the first year of production). I'm writing an article here about that TV.