View Full Version : Hello! I'm 18 and all my friends think I'm weird because I shoot on VHS and Hi8.

T-120
03-21-2015, 02:11 PM
The truth is, I just love the warm, imperfect qualities of analog videotape. It yields results that look totally different than something shot on a DSLR. Not "worse" as many people claim, just a totally different take on things. And no ugly digital compression artifacts! :)

Electronic M
03-21-2015, 02:21 PM
Yeah, I time shifted/archived TV on S-VHS until about 3 years ago when most of the cable channels started digitally compressing their video rather noticeably, then switched to DVD-R since it did not add worse artifacts than what was already coming down the pipe live. There are some things like subtle motion and light changes that digital may never get right (or at least invest the bandwidth/memory to get right). If you like a decent amount of pre-Y2K movies you might want to look for a used LaserDisc video player...It is perhaps the best consumer analog video format in existence.

Welcome to the empty state TV repair man's net forum.

user181
03-21-2015, 02:24 PM
Welcome to the empty state TV repair man's net forum.

I like that. I've also heard it called "hollow state."

electronjohn
03-21-2015, 03:01 PM
Welcome!

walterbeers
03-21-2015, 06:37 PM
Glad to see someone your age taking an interested in the old analog stuff. I still watch a lot of movies on VHS, and somehow playing music off the web just isn't the same as putting the needle on a vinyl record, or playing an 8 track as it clicks tracks right in the middle of a song. There never was nothing really wrong with VHS, analog, Beta, records etc, except the manufacturers just want people to keep buying and spending more money. I love repairing the old stuff. I hope you develop an interest in keeping the old technology alive. I am 64 years old, and I was " weird" too, when I was young, recording on an old wire recorder, cutting records on my old Recordio, and watching a B&W TV. I remember taking videos on a VHS camcorder when my 2 sons were in school of their events and track meets, etc. Made me feel important having that big old camcorder up on my shoulder shooting video. I still have it and it still works, but the 2 batteries I have for it are dead, so unless I'm taking video within range of a outlet or extension cord, it's kind of useless now, but those were the days when taking and watching your own videos were actually fun. Now everyone has cell phones that can take video, and do nearly everything, but that just isn't as much fun as it was when you put in a VHS tape and actually watched your own movies.

zeno
03-22-2015, 05:39 PM
Welcome !
Nice to see a young'un appreciate the way thing were. Nothing
like audio from a tube Hi-Fi or the picture on a roundie or
a first generation solid state console. The warmth is like
being in your mothers arms..........
Dont forget the other old stuff like cars, fans, can openers
and appliances that work for 50 yrs often. The list is LONG.

73 Zeno:smoke:

dishdude
03-22-2015, 06:00 PM
I've heard there was a cult following of amateur filmmakers using the Fisher-Price PXL-2000, but this is the first I am hearing about VHS!

Jon A.
03-22-2015, 08:29 PM
Nice one. I have a full-size RCA VHS camcorder that I got about a year ago. I haven't used it but that's because I don't yet have regular filming opportunities.

old_coot88
03-22-2015, 09:36 PM
The truth is, I just love the warm, imperfect qualities of analog videotape. It yields results that look totally different than something shot on a DSLR. Not "worse" as many people claim, just a totally different take on things. And no ugly digital compression artifacts! :)
Yes!! Couldn't agree more. To me, the Hi8 was the last 'Real' camcorder. In addition to the warmth, 'Real' means it has a full frame or 'global' shutter as opposed to the 'scrolling-line' shutter. The scrolling-line is what produces the banana-ing or 'venetian blind' effect on rotating objects, and the 'wavy-jello' effect from any vibration of the camera.
https://www.youtube.com/results?q=rolling+shutter+effect
Whereas the full-frame correctly renders things like fans and propeller discs, and doesn't do the wavy-gravy thing from vibration.

centralradio
03-24-2015, 10:29 PM
Welcome aboard T120.I agree 100 percent.That makes two of us.I still record TV on VHS. I will continue until the VHS supply runs dry.

I always say digital is great with a computer but when digital without a computer in stand alone stuff .Its crap.

I still have all of my old pro video tape equipment along with my turntables and vinyl.

centralradio
03-24-2015, 10:31 PM
I've heard there was a cult following of amateur filmmakers using the Fisher-Price PXL-2000, but this is the first I am hearing about VHS!

Yes Thats true.I have two of those here.I have a friend into making movies with the PXL2000.

Username1
03-25-2015, 08:29 AM
Good to have some youngn's here ! !

centralradio
03-25-2015, 10:12 AM
I was just thinking when I was 18.VHS and Beta were fighting with each other say who was better plus the movie industries Betamax case was starting up. .The machines were $1000 or more.The VCRs weight like a ton.The blank tapes were like $8 bucks a piece.Prerecorded movies were like $40 to $75 bucks.Rentals were not happening yet.

At that time there were no camcorders so we had the two piece setup.

pac.attack76
03-27-2015, 11:09 AM
Welcome !
Nice to see a young'un appreciate the way thing were. Nothing
like audio from a tube Hi-Fi or the picture on a roundie or
a first generation solid state console. The warmth is like
being in your mothers arms..........
Dont forget the other old stuff like cars, fans, can openers
and appliances that work for 50 yrs often. The list is LONG.

73 Zeno:smoke:

I agree with that! Everything was built to last where now, everything is built to fail so you'll run out and buy again. I just picked up a refrigerator as a spare that was built in 1984 and still runs, got cold real quick.

dewdude
03-27-2015, 03:46 PM
I'm in your boat. I love the look of analog video when I'm watching movies. It just...feels more like "i'm watching it at home" on a telecined analog format.

I get my analog fix from Laserdisc.

NowhereMan 1966
04-09-2015, 09:24 PM
Good to see it. I still use a 1982 Zenith and VHS tape.

Jeffhs
04-10-2015, 11:44 AM
I have a flat screen TV and a Blu-ray player, but I still have a Panasonic VCR and about 50 VHS tapes, so my setup is a combination of old and new technology. I also have two CRT TVs in storage.