View Full Version : Polaroid TLA-01511C 15 inch TV Picture Cuts Out

radiowilbur
02-27-2015, 07:25 PM
After a few moments, my TV screen goes dark. The sound cuts out for a moment, but then continues playing, with the dark screen. I was getting nothing from this TV, but I then dismantled it to check the caps and note the numbers on the boards. I then reassembled it and it came to life, but only as described above......any ideas what is wrong or what I should check?

Chip Chester
02-27-2015, 08:23 PM
With the Polaroids, you have to hold them by the corner and shake 'em real good, and maybe blow on them. Eventually the picture will appear.

But seriously... Not noted for their longevity on Amazon reviews, etc. When you looked at the caps, were any bulging, or leaking? Do you recall it getting fairly hot? Temps and borderline voltage specs are hard on filter caps. You could do a wholesale replacement of all caps, with equal capacitance but higher temps and working voltages.

Chip

mstaton
02-27-2015, 08:46 PM
Those are known for bad ccfl lamps. They usually turn pink before they go out

radiowilbur
02-28-2015, 12:36 PM
The caps all look good. I saw no bloated or bulging caps. I will doublecheck the screen before it goes dark. would the sound continue to work if the screen is bad?

radiowilbur
02-28-2015, 12:41 PM
the screen may look pink in one area before it cuts out, its hard to see.....it only stays on for about 15 seconds before going dark. it comes back on with the power button, but continually goes out after a few seconds, with the sound coming back on after a moment of silence.

Chip Chester
03-01-2015, 11:37 AM
Does this have an internal or external power supply? If external, can you substitute a different one for testing purposes?

Chip

mstaton
03-01-2015, 12:16 PM
100% sure it's one of the lamps(there are 2). You will need to disassemble the LCD screen to know for sure. If the lamps are pink or have burned ends(black), they're done. You can power up the the TV with only the lamp circuit connected for a quick check. There are lots of small screws. Be careful of the ribbon cables that can be easily torn. If you do it slow and careful you'll be fine. CCFL lamps are available from various sources. You will need to measure the length. Best to replace both at once

radiowilbur
03-01-2015, 07:38 PM
I have the screen disassembled for the most part. I have no idea what I am looking at. the clear screen to which all the ribbon cables are attached is apart. the screen appears to have two plastic laminates but they are difficult to remove. I can see no ends that look pink or black yet. what else can I disassemble?

mstaton
03-01-2015, 08:25 PM
This may give you an idea on how to do t. Its for a laptop but basically same procedure
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PbAkRHWb-y0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tsuyZj4sfuI

radiowilbur
03-01-2015, 11:02 PM
I viewed them. I will try to find the ccfl bulbs. I will let you know what I find.....