View Full Version : My New Truck!

TUD1
02-22-2015, 07:23 PM
I got this 1983 Ford F100 from a family member today. It just needs a few things including an A/C tune up and carburetor. I will be driving this to St. Louis in June.

Paul Knaack
02-22-2015, 07:29 PM
Congratulations, That is a clean looking truck! Does it have the 4.9 liter? (300 ci) Nice old truck. It'll probably last another 30 years.

TUD1
02-22-2015, 07:37 PM
It has the 302.

Jon A.
02-22-2015, 09:03 PM
Whoa, can't beat that for free.

How about an interior shot?

TUD1
02-22-2015, 09:16 PM
It definitely was not free. It cost $3200.

Jon A.
02-22-2015, 10:56 PM
In all fairness, you could have said "bought" instead of "got" in your original post. Normally I wouldn't expect family members to sell things to one another.

maxhifi
02-22-2015, 11:49 PM
What a beauty!! These are usually all rusted out around here - may it serve you well!

Electronic M
02-23-2015, 12:34 AM
Now that is a good vehicle to go to swap meets in! Now the only things left that could keep you from any console or jukebox is ability to lift it, place to put it at home, and asking price.

TUD1
02-23-2015, 07:36 AM
About the ability to lift. I'm 6'4" and 300 pounds. I carried my new 1941 Zenith console all over the place.

dieseljeep
02-23-2015, 12:15 PM
In all fairness, you could have said "bought" instead of "got" in your original post. Normally I wouldn't expect family members to sell things to one another.
You don't know most families. Giving a valuable item to another family member, shows favoritism. It generally starts a p*ssing contest. :D

Jon A.
02-23-2015, 04:11 PM
You don't know most families. Giving a valuable item to another family member, shows favoritism. It generally starts a p*ssing contest. :D
On the other hand, sell a less-than-perfect vehicle to a friend or family member and you become the local leper.

I don't think a truck like that would be valuable to most. Offer up a new Toyota for free though and it would start a war.

Username1
02-24-2015, 09:15 AM
Cool truck... I had a '86 F350 as a work truck in Ga, it had the 4 speed, and 351
something 4V carb and a anti-backfire valve on the exhaust, I know that because
it didn't work all the time....... Still, it could pull the planet out from under a house...

dieseljeep
02-24-2015, 01:26 PM
On the other hand, sell a less-than-perfect vehicle to a friend or family member and you become the local leper.

I don't think a truck like that would be valuable to most. Offer up a new Toyota for free though and it would start a war.
A truck, that age and that condition would be of great interest, to many.
Some buyers want an older, pristine truck instead of the newer offerings. A lot less complicated. :scratch2:

Username1
02-24-2015, 03:06 PM
A truck, that age and that condition would be of great interest, to many.
Some buyers want an older, pristine truck instead of the newer offerings. A lot less complicated. :scratch2:

I agree 100%

Take $40K and spend it on a hauler, or haul $35k's worth of crap in a really nice $5k hauler....

Easy choice for me....

TUD1
02-24-2015, 04:23 PM
It's in good shape, but it's not exactly pristine. It has its fair share of bumbs and bruises. The dashboard is completely cracked and split apart on account of the Ally-Bammy sun.

Jon A.
02-24-2015, 04:41 PM
It doesn't take Alabama sun to crack up a Ford dash I'm sorry to say. The dash in our 1984 Mercury Lynx was badly cracked when it was 8 years old. No idea what the 1981-83 dashes are made of but they don't have that problem. Also, they are a different design.

TUD1
02-24-2015, 05:16 PM
It doesn't take Alabama sun to crack up a Ford dash I'm sorry to say. The dash in our 1984 Mercury Lynx was badly cracked when it was 8 years old. No idea what the 1981-83 dashes are made of but they don't have that problem. Also, they are a different design.

I don't understand what that means. If you're trying to say that the dash is not cracked, I have photos to prove it. If your trying to say that the Ally-Bammy sun is not that hot, well, obviously you've never been to Ally-Bammy between June and September.

Electronic M
02-24-2015, 05:27 PM
I think what he meant is the dashes in that era of ford liked to crack early in life due to bad materials/workmanship regardless of the conditions they were subjected to.

You have clearly not tried to lift any jukeboxes, or large TV consoles before...I'm about 4" shorter, and 100 lbs lighter, and while I could throw a 40's Zenith radio console down the block, and possibly arrive in time to catch it, there are some jukes and TV consoles that, while I can move them on a level surface, I'd never be able to load on a truck singlehandedly in one piece....Unless a ramp was handy.

Jon A.
02-24-2015, 05:27 PM
I don't understand what that means. If you're trying to say that the dash is not cracked, I have photos to prove it. If your trying to say that the Ally-Bammy sun is not that hot, well, obviously you've never been to Ally-Bammy between June and September.
That's the second time you've been rude to me for nothing.

I was saying that they crack really easily in the sun.
I think what he meant is the dashes in that era of ford liked to crack early in life due to bad materials/workmanship regardless of the conditions they were subjected to.
That's about the best way to put it.

TUD1
02-24-2015, 06:30 PM
That's the second time you've been rude to me for nothing.

I'm sorry if I offended you. I simply did not know what you meant. Ironically, yesterday, I was flat out harassed by someone on another forum I am on. Over the same picture, no less!

dieseljeep
02-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Even in Wisconsin, the sun can be detrimental to the appearance of any car or truck. We don't get the amount of sun, that southern states get, but the paint jobs, fade, clear coat blisters and of coarse, the plastics crack or get cloudy. Look at the headlight lenses, that get cloudy.
Many people have to take their cars to work and it sits in the parking lot all day, in all kinds of weather conditions. Just a fact of life, I guess. :sigh:

Jon A.
02-24-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm sorry if I offended you. I simply did not know what you meant. Ironically, yesterday, I was flat out harassed by someone on another forum I am on. Over the same picture, no less!
I'm not really surprised. Some groups are just full of idiots.

bgadow
02-25-2015, 09:19 PM
My Dad bought an '82, XLT Lariat with a 302, it was a demonstrator. I remember it being the nicest, and best looking, truck I'd ever seen at the time. The digital clock was a really big deal back then! Sadly, his was a terrible lemon, just nothing but trouble. I knew lots of folks that had good luck with them, though. I still have a soft spot for 'em.

sampson159
02-28-2015, 07:43 AM
i was working at ford during the 80s.81-84 were the worst years for trucks.many recalls and quality was an issue.i have horror stories about what came out of detroit.the old,"let the dealer take care of it"attitude from the workers.bolts installed but not tightened,plastic fasteners not installed,faulty clamps and the list goes on and on.the drivetrains were generally bulletproof especially the 300 six.serviced those engines with 4-500k miles and still running.302 was also a workhorse.electrical issues by the score.almost as many headaches as the gm and chrysler trucks from that era.