View Full Version : Sony KDL-32XBR9 dropping HDMI inputs

ha1156w
02-10-2015, 03:27 AM
I have a KDL-32XBR9 with low hours that has a habit of dropping the inputs from HDMI randomly and claiming "no signal". Sometimes it's only for a second or two, other times it's seemingly perpetual. A U-verse tuner box will claim there's an HDCP error at times with this set too. Using the component analog RGB inputs from the same U-Verse box (or any other source) I never see a single blip.

Would this be an input panel board that needs replacing or the T-Con board in the upper center of the set? I'm not quite familiar with the signal flow between the boards on this set and searches for information don't turn up anything useful so far.

Also on this same set, the picture doesn't seem as bright as it used to. A white picture is consistent from edge to edge, top to bottom, so I don't believe I have any backlight tubes out. But is this problem child set known for inverter problems? Would a failing inverter lower voltage to the lamps over time, or am I looking at new lamps even with the low hours the set has? Man I'll take a CTC-16 over this critter anytime!

Thanks!

Eric H
02-10-2015, 09:28 AM
Has the set had it's Firmware updated

http://esupport.sony.com/US/p/swu-download.pl?upd_id=6525&mdl=KDL32XBR9

ha1156w
02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Yes, I'm running the latest version posted by Sony :/

Eric H
02-10-2015, 07:10 PM
Another possibllity could be a bad HDMI cable.
I had a cheapie from Big Lots that was giving me trouble.

ha1156w
02-15-2015, 03:53 AM
It was my first thought too. Multiple cables, multiple inputs, etc. (there are 4 on this set). Known good cables, tested on other sets too. It's definitely internal to the set. Is there a way to get it to display error codes? I know the KDL-40XBR4 can do that (Display -> 5 -> Vol(-) -> Pwr), but my -XBR9 doesn't acknowledge it with that sequence.

Now here's where it gets weird. Normally an inactive input won't show up in the input select menu, but instead shows grey and is non-selectable. When it does the "no signal" behavior described above, it shows that input as active and allows you to select it. It'll still give a "no signal" screen when you select that input though. Even more interesting is that certain devices that use the HDMI control protocol, such as my Chromecast or Samsung Blu-ray player, will show up as an additional input (not a standard numbered input, and this is normal behavior), along with the proper device name and show as active. But again, when selecting them, it'll show up as "no signal" once switched to that input. It's getting the data stream, and it sees the device ID info properly, but it just doesn't identify the presence of an MPEG-2 stream as one would expect.

Tonight I retested to confirm the status of the problem. Chromecast came up on HDMI2 with no problem. Power off the set, power on, and the input shows as "No signal" even though the input is shown in white font (selectable/active) and the Chromecast device shows as an additional selectable input per HDMI Control protocol. This almost sounds like an intermittent failure of the MPEG-2 decode chip, but I don't know which board it lives on.