View Full Version : Sony Trinitron KV5100 problems.

Arcanine
01-31-2015, 09:08 PM
This is my far my favorite set. Despite it's issues I still use it the most.

Ever since I got it, I've noticed two things:

The 12V power supply board gets very hot.

Sometimes I will hear a snap inside the set, and it will flinch then go back to normal. It was extremely dirty inside when I got it. I have done a lot to clean it up, and I made sure to clean the flyback off.

I've used the set for many hours apart, and done some probing around inside. I get no arcing from the flyback anywhere, and it has no signs of voltage leaking. The only thing I can think that would make a snapping sound like that is an arc from the flyback it self. It's not done it in awhile since I cleaned it up, and cleaned the wires going to the tube from it.

I still suspect I need a flyback for it. Is this something that will be impossible to find? Or have other members saved parts from these sets before?

Electronic M
01-31-2015, 09:18 PM
I might have one, but it will take quite some digging to find it.

Usually if the set still has HV it is not a flyback problem. Have you thoroughly cleaned the side of the CRT by the HV connection? If not do it with rubbing alcohol or windex.

Arcanine
01-31-2015, 09:27 PM
I might have one, but it will take quite some digging to find it.

Usually if the set still has HV it is not a flyback problem. Have you thoroughly cleaned the side of the CRT by the HV connection? If not do it with rubbing alcohol or windex.

Yes. I have cleaned it with contact cleaner on Q-Tips, all the wires, the transformer it self and the top of the CRT and the anode cap as well. It was really caked on heavily.

I also cleaned the wire going from the flyback to the board on the back of the tube it self. They were all caked with dirt.

zeno
02-01-2015, 07:43 AM
It may be an internal arc in the CRT also.
If its the HV it will do it more on humid days.
Best to open it up, run it in a dark room & watch for it.

BTW most Sonys use a coax HV lead. When removing
the lead there is a little spring that connects the center.
If you dont remove it carefully it can get bent up or lost.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Arcanine
02-01-2015, 12:27 PM
It may be an internal arc in the CRT also.
If its the HV it will do it more on humid days.
Best to open it up, run it in a dark room & watch for it.

BTW most Sonys use a coax HV lead. When removing
the lead there is a little spring that connects the center.
If you dont remove it carefully it can get bent up or lost.

73 Zeno:smoke:

I noticed that. I was able to get it out, and then reinsert it correctly when I removed the wire.

It's not done the arcing in a couple days. I am not holding my breath, so I don't use the set for long hours.

I've tried letting it run for hours with it open in a dark room; Nothing.

I even tried probing around all the HV parts while it was on to see if I could cause the arcing to happen, and again, nothing.

All I can say is the the set was internally very dirty, and whatever the grime was it built up inside was very thick.