View Full Version : Admiral color TV sign

miniman82
01-21-2015, 04:08 PM
There's a post about a Zenith sign right now, might as well post this one up! I got it at that huge hoard over in Richmond for like $10, and since I'm not an Admiral guy I'll donate it to the ETF. Figure it'll look nice hanging above the Ambassador model they have. :thmbsp:

Clock and lighting all work, should clean up real nice for the museum.

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=185497&d=1421878026

Kevin Kuehn
01-21-2015, 04:12 PM
That thing is sweet! Love the colors.

NoPegs
01-21-2015, 04:55 PM
I'll bite, what are you in the process of megasquirt-ing? I can't tell if its a really old Toyota or a domestic rock-burner.

Edit: VVVVVVVVV: Ahh, I hadn't made the BMW connection, now it makes perfect sense.

Electronic M
01-21-2015, 05:06 PM
Cool sign! Is that the same red mini that you had in your garage in Illinois?

miniman82
01-21-2015, 05:17 PM
Tom wins the prize! :thmbsp:

I fabricated my own TBI unit from a solid chunk of aluminum, that's what the Megasquirt will be running. Also have coil pack ignition and cruise control!

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/aaf36da41eb64c271ed0f334acd9acbf87fe443c.JPG

NoPegs
01-21-2015, 05:38 PM
Tom wins the prize! :thmbsp:

I fabricated my own TBI unit from a solid chunk of aluminum, that's what the Megasquirt will be running. Also have coil pack ignition and cruise control!

http://images.yuku.com/image/jpeg/aaf36da41eb64c271ed0f334acd9acbf87fe443c.JPG

That's a very nice build you have there. One bit of advice I can contribute: You should use black zip-ties in an under-bonnet scenario. They're moderately more heat/solvent resistant than the plain old white/translucent cheapies. Upon further inspection same goes for the white vacuum elbows. All things considered I think you're going to inspect the engine frequently so it probably doesn't make a real difference.

What's the big gold ballcock looking thing down in on the left? I can see a regulator of some sort attached to it, but the only thing I can put in the equation is brake booster. I'm going to presume it is RHD so that's the current winning theory.

Do I spot some original Lucas Electrics wiring in the cowl area? You probably already know that's a risky thing. :yes:

miniman82
01-21-2015, 07:34 PM
That's a very nice build you have there. One bit of advice I can contribute: You should use black zip-ties in an under-bonnet scenario. They're moderately more heat/solvent resistant than the plain old white/translucent cheapies. Upon further inspection same goes for the white vacuum elbows. All things considered I think you're going to inspect the engine frequently so it probably doesn't make a real difference.

Most of what's going on in there right now is me trying to get things into the position I want, but I didn't know the black ones were more heat tolerant. I'll have to remember to switch at some point, if I haven't figured out a better more permanent solution that is. Zip ties are the race car way, because things are always changing. I guess I either don't know any better or I'm too lazy. Probably lazy. lol

What's the big gold ballcock looking thing down in on the left? I can see a regulator of some sort attached to it, but the only thing I can put in the equation is brake booster. I'm going to presume it is RHD so that's the current winning theory.

Brake servo (booster), but this is a left hand Italian Cooper. If you look behind the fuel pressure regulator, you can see the original 'bean can' masters. One for brake, the other hydraulic clutch. Braided teflon lines throughout, of course.

Do I spot some original Lucas Electrics wiring in the cowl area? You probably already know that's a risky thing. :yes:

Fark no, Marelli all the way! :music:

NoPegs
01-21-2015, 07:43 PM
Fark no, Marelli all the way! :music:

Ohhh, you got one of the Fascist minis. Rolling out of the factory correctly assembled is a good thing.

tvdude1
01-21-2015, 09:38 PM
Did a tranny swap on one of those once. Funny how the tranny is the oil pan. Engine oil is also the gearbox oil. Love the brits.