View Full Version : [Salvaged] 19" 1980 Panasonic Colorpilot PC-2000

VintageLove
01-15-2015, 09:06 AM
Salvaged this really nice Panasonic Colorpilot Color TV on the weekend. It was manufactured September 1980. The Model is PC-2000 and the Chassis is NMX-L21. I don't see these old tv's too often around here, so i decided to grab it. Some jackass cut the power cord :nono: they had cut it right at the tip of the plastic moulding the old cord ran through, so I ended up having to make a new cord and run it through the square opening at the rear. After that, it powered up without a problem:) I really like the lighted dials as well. There's a couple of things I'm trying to work out. For instance I can't seem to adjust the black level, the brightness even when turned down seems to produce a over gray color and makes the image/video seem washed out. The other thing is the pull knob is very stiff to pull out and push in?

zeno
01-15-2015, 10:38 AM
The most common thing for video problems on
this and almost all other brands is a cap in the 200V supply.
I dont have a manual so hears how to find it.

On CRT socket there are 3 identical transistors.
From the collectors are typically 18K 1W resistors.
Where the join is the 200V.
Follow the wire down to the area of the flyback.
the cap usually 4.7mfd use a 450V.
Sometimes the cap is on the CRT socket board.
There may be a small coil in series with the line.
Some sets use a different scheme.

Symptoms include
dark on left, too brite on right.
Retrace lines.
smearing.
Too brite.
Some sets will over current shut down.
May be intermitant.

good luck
73 Zeno:smoke:

Findm-Keepm
01-15-2015, 07:57 PM
to add to the comprehensive service hints that Zeno gave, make sure you check the solder connections on the horizontal driver transformer. The connections will fail, giving you intermittent shutdowns. DAMHIK.....:yes:

Jon A.
01-15-2015, 09:53 PM
Salvaged this really nice Panasonic Colorpilot Color TV on the weekend. It was manufactured September 1980. The Model is PC-2000 and the Chassis is NMX-L21. I don't see these old tv's too often around here, so i decided to grab it. Some jackass cut the power cord :nono:
At least that jackass didn't have the presence of mind to smash the TV for the yoke. Not totally surprising for someone lacking the intelligence to do anything but scrapping.

Nice catch! I haven't seen many 19" Panasonics from that era.

Electronic M
01-15-2015, 10:24 PM
There are some people that are paranoid over trash pickers getting a busted set, hurting themselves (god knows how) with it, and suing, cut off the cords before throwing sets out....Those people are perhaps more ignorant than the scrappers IMHO.

tvcollector
01-16-2015, 03:05 AM
Love these early 80s sets.. A TV on the side of the road around here won't even last minutes.. It's torn apart pic tube neck broke toke gone and power cord cut.. I can't believe before I caught on to this, I found a working early 80s quasar set that was very unique.. It was slightly wet or damp when I tried it.. I got a pic but no sound.. Decided to leave it by my car near the road for the sun to bake it, and when I came back out hours later, it was completely gone.. That was the time I didn't have a big storage unit, and had no where to put it, so I left it by the road while figuring out what to do with it..

Jeffhs
01-16-2015, 07:25 PM
There are some people that are paranoid over trash pickers getting a busted set, hurting themselves (god knows how) with it, and suing...

They are not being paranoid. There are many ways a person can be injured or even killed while working on a TV if they don't know what they are doing, or if a young child toys with the open back of a set. The CRT is charged with tens of thousands of volts while the set is operating, that charge will remain on the tube indefinitely until or unless it is safely discharged (the dag coating acts as a large capacitor), and the CRT is heavy and easily broken, leading to an implosion. Sometimes kids will throw rocks at the CRT screen, which is just as dangerous as the screen will shatter. I saw this quite often with old CRT televisions put out for the trash during the last years of the NTSC era, and was amazed more kids weren't injured badly from the broken glass left on the treelawn afterward.

The recycling programs now in place in many cities have reduced the number of old TVs put out for the trash, and some municipal waste disposal services will not even touch an old set, due to the safety hazard posed by the CRT. I live in a very small town in northeastern Ohio (been here 15 years), and have seen very, very few CRT TVs out on the curbs; the safety issue may very well be the reason. I don't know for certain, but there may be an ordinance here against putting used appliances and/or electronics out with normal household trash on our scheduled pickup day. If there isn't, IMHO there darn well should be.

Robb
01-16-2015, 07:31 PM
Nice save !
I have a few Pannys from the 1970's. :thmbsp:

Electronic M
01-16-2015, 10:30 PM
They are not being paranoid. There are many ways a person can be injured or even killed while working on a TV if they don't know what they are doing, or if a young child toys with the open back of a set. The CRT is charged with tens of thousands of volts while the set is operating, that charge will remain on the tube indefinitely until or unless it is safely discharged (the dag coating acts as a large capacitor), and the CRT is heavy and easily broken, leading to an implosion. Sometimes kids will throw rocks at the CRT screen, which is just as dangerous as the screen will shatter. I saw this quite often with old CRT televisions put out for the trash during the last years of the NTSC era, and was amazed more kids weren't injured badly from the broken glass left on the treelawn afterward.

The recycling programs now in place in many cities have reduced the number of old TVs put out for the trash, and some municipal waste disposal services will not even touch an old set, due to the safety hazard posed by the CRT. I live in a very small town in northeastern Ohio (been here 15 years), and have seen very, very few CRT TVs out on the curbs; the safety issue may very well be the reason. I don't know for certain, but there may be an ordinance here against putting used appliances and/or electronics out with normal household trash on our scheduled pickup day. If there isn't, IMHO there darn well should be.

You're paranoid too. As a teen I got bit with full voltage stored in a CRT that had JUST been turned off, aside from reflex, and a bit of pain I was completely unharmed. When I was a toddler I used to go around sticking my fingers in outlets on purpose (my folks could not find a 'child proofing device' that was Tom proof), and it had no effect on me.
Any child that can get into the back of a TV is big enough to survive the HV charge on the CRT unharmed....Unless the kid has the weak heart of a 98 year old.

As for broken glass I used to collect it when I was a kid. My neighborhood used to be the town dump before WWII, and if you dug you'd find glass, and other artifacts...So I collected them. And I never got cut from it! I used to throw rocks at SS era CRTs till they would break and they never imploded. By the mid 60's implosion protection was good enough that it was nearly impossible for one to occur.

Besides the rule is until the garbage men take it, it belongs to the disposer, and if you steal it and hurt yourself then it is your own damn fault.

dishdude
01-16-2015, 11:52 PM
I was adjusting the focus on a 90's RCA with the remote HV test points and stuck the screwdriver in the test point instead of the focus control. Since I wasn't paying attention I also wasn't holding the screwdriver by the handle. That woke me up!