View Full Version : In process of clearing out 1990's CRTs-- is anything worth rescuing?

Diode
01-08-2015, 04:31 PM
Hello all,
My family and I have been doing some major house cleaning this week while I am still home from college. Old computers, printers, TVs, and other things are getting ready to be tossed. Even so, I got to wondering: is there currently anything CRT-related from the 1990's that has any value, even slightly?

In my particular case, some examples of the things being tossed are as follows:
1997 9" Sony Trinitron KV-9PT50
1990 20" Magnavox RS4390(?) (my childhood TV growing up, incidentally)
1990 5" Panasonic WV-5200B CCTV monitor (a repair project I did for fun a while ago)
2000 21" Dell-branded Trinitron Computer monitor (no pictures included)

This is meant as more of a general question rather than one regarding my particular stuff. I am mainly trying to educate myself in this area. Among newer CRTs (i.e. late '80's and onward) what tends to have value, if anything? (e.g. particular brands, larger or smaller screen size, certain features?).

p.s. Oddly, the one CRT we are keeping is actually the oldest: a 1980's Hitachi CT1912.

Marco-nix
01-09-2015, 07:52 AM
Since the flat screens exist, all CRT are old now and will become rare in the future.

Sony is a good brand in the measur where you keep it in a working condition..Samething for Panasonic...Magnavox where very good back in the days but now I don't know...Dell for a computer, no problems I had and I have a Dell ...but for a Dell monitor, i can't say ;) someone else will be better than me for you.

colectorad
01-12-2015, 07:32 PM
'90s sets with the most monetary value have the following attributes:

1.) A 25" or larger screen size.
2.) A weight below 100 pounds.
3.) One or more auxiliary inputs (composite/S-Video/component).
4.) Stereophonic sound.

centralradio
01-16-2015, 10:00 PM
Hello all,
My family and I have been doing some major house cleaning this week while I am still home from college. Old computers, printers, TVs, and other things are getting ready to be tossed. Even so, I got to wondering: is there currently anything CRT-related from the 1990's that has any value, even slightly?

In my particular case, some examples of the things being tossed are as follows:
1997 9" Sony Trinitron KV-9PT50
1990 20" Magnavox RS4390(?) (my childhood TV growing up, incidentally)
1990 5" Panasonic WV-5200B CCTV monitor (a repair project I did for fun a while ago)
2000 21" Dell-branded Trinitron Computer monitor (no pictures included)

This is meant as more of a general question rather than one regarding my particular stuff. I am mainly trying to educate myself in this area. Among newer CRTs (i.e. late '80's and onward) what tends to have value, if anything? (e.g. particular brands, larger or smaller screen size, certain features?).

p.s. Oddly, the one CRT we are keeping is actually the oldest: a 1980's Hitachi CT1912.

The sets I've been finding lately are monitors from that era.Which I'm lucky and I can use them with my video equipment.

I love those small sets.

I'd you have the room .I would keep the Sony and the Panasonic since they are small and they are monitors .

The Maggy probably has sentimental value since it was your childhood TV. I still have my old 1960's 19 inch B/W tube Motorola here somewhere.

The Dell computer monitor I more likely to strip for parts .

NoPegs
01-17-2015, 07:11 AM
What's the fate of the N64? It up for a new home too? :yes: