View Full Version : For your viewing pleasure: 1948 GE "Locomotive"

UberVacTuber
01-04-2015, 10:07 AM
I wanted to share this one with the group. A while back I redid a 1920's RCA radio for a friend. It was his great-grandfather's radio and it meant a lot to him to have it functional again. When I returned it to him, he mentioned that he also had his dad's original TV and while he hated to get rid of it, he knew he couldn't get it working and I could give it a good home. He gave it to me as a trade for the labor on the radio. Since I already have a 10" 1940's B/W TV, I figured I'd go through the set and once completed, give it back to him. Once cleaned up, the bakelite case was in amazingly good shape- only one small crack in the top that was barely visible after polishing. After recapping, new cord and the requisite resistance and voltage checks and picture tweaks it was ready to go. Attached are a couple pics of it, when first put on the bench, initial picture tests and the finished product. He was quite happy to see it function again and his dad was also thrilled with it.

decojoe67
01-04-2015, 01:03 PM
I wanted to share this one with the group. A while back I redid a 1920's RCA radio for a friend. It was his great-grandfather's radio and it meant a lot to him to have it functional again. When I returned it to him, he mentioned that he also had his dad's original TV and while he hated to get rid of it, he knew he couldn't get it working and I could give it a good home. He gave it to me as a trade for the labor on the radio. Since I already have a 10" 1940's B/W TV, I figured I'd go through the set and once completed, give it back to him. Once cleaned up, the bakelite case was in amazingly good shape- only one small crack in the top that was barely visible after polishing. After recapping, new cord and the requisite resistance and voltage checks and picture tweaks it was ready to go. Attached are a couple pics of it, when first put on the bench, initial picture tests and the finished product. He was quite happy to see it function again and his dad was also thrilled with it.
Nice story and a great set. I have the model with the rounded square screen and it is one of my finest performing vintage TV's. Mine has a small repaired crack in one spot on the top too. It's very common with these fragile cabinets. What a treat it must have been for the owner to see that set working again!

Josef
01-04-2015, 03:52 PM
Definitely a great story of a beautyful set. I repaird one of the first table transistor radios and gave it back to its first owner who is the grandfather of my sister in law :thmbsp:
Nice ECC83/12AX7 avatar too.

Greetings Josef