View Full Version : Sony KV-9200

Dreamsbeard
12-31-2014, 11:57 AM
Hello all,

This is a set I picked up this summer, but did not got around to mess with until this morning. It is a Sony KV-9200, there is no date on the back cover but I think it was made around 1972/73.

After a grayscale ajustement (picture was too green of course) it came out great. But I find that it is not as sharp as it should be , so I went to ajust the focus pot and... I looked around and couldn't find it haha.

This set seems to have a lot of little problems : picture is tilted (probably need to reposition the yoke), colors seems to pop from too green to ok randomly(maybe dirty pots?), its got a little pull in on both side, there seems to be a problem of cross talk in the upper portion of the picture that fades away after the sets has been on for awhile (just like my 1979 Hitachi) and the picture is of center.

So all in all , not a bad set at all, but needs a little love.

What do you guys think of it?

Happy new year!! :)

DaveWM
12-31-2014, 01:18 PM
if it has a pincusion adj pot, and if it does not work, then prob a dried up cap (at least that is what it was on a couple KV-1212's I recently worked on).

Dreamsbeard
12-31-2014, 01:37 PM
Pincusion would be for the pull in right?

Jon A.
12-31-2014, 04:00 PM
That's right. And for what it's worth, the focus pot on the only Sony I've been into was on the neck board. There was an access hole, but I didn't have a tool small enough to adjust it so I had to do so from behind.

DaveWM
12-31-2014, 04:07 PM
pincushion is typically on both sides (side pin cushion) as seen on the photos you attached. The Sonys I worked on only had side pin cushion adjustment.

Focus was done with a selection of voltages, you had to move a jumper around. I am no sony expert, just telling you what I came across on those KV-1212's

jr_tech
12-31-2014, 05:20 PM
The service manual for my (earlier) KV 9000 shows a pincushion adjustment (VR910) only on some sets (chassis SCC-B01-EA S/N 29001 and later). I do not have it on my set. My pincushion distortion is moderate, so perhaps the adjustment is lacking on your set as well. :scratch2:

My KV9000 in this post:
http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.php?p=2974226&postcount=15

jr

edit add: On my KV9000, the Focus is adjusted by connecting the yellow wire to one of the four positions (0,250,550,660 volts) on the "P" board, which is visible with the back off, above the power plug. Since your 9200 layout looks different it may or may not have a similar focus "adjustment".

OBTW, I really like the smoother appearance of your 9200, might try to add one to my small collection of "mini-trons".

Marco-nix
01-01-2015, 07:36 AM
Mine is a KV-1204 and I need a schematic..any help will be appreciated..I have the same problem....

Dreamsbeard
01-01-2015, 08:26 AM
pincushion is typically on both sides (side pin cushion) as seen on the photos you attached. The Sonys I worked on only had side pin cushion adjustment.

Focus was done with a selection of voltages, you had to move a jumper around. I am no sony expert, just telling you what I came across on those KV-1212's

I am looking for conventional well labeled pot, or something more subtile with only a component number like VR910?

As for the focus , I definitly didn't seen any pot around the set (even on the neck board) for that ajustement, It might very well be the jumper style selector. But given the fact that this set is very cramped, its hard to make anything out.

Edit for jr_tech : and I like your more angular kv-9000 look too :P

Dreamsbeard
01-01-2015, 08:31 AM
Mine is a KV-1204 and I need a schematic..any help will be appreciated..I have the same problem....

What problems exacly? People may be able to help if you describe specific problems. :)

zeno
01-01-2015, 10:50 AM
My KV1204 manual is missing. I have the KV1204A manual,
things may be the same OR very different.
The pin control is VR541 The cap that goes is C541 10mfd. Its
off one end of the control. Its all tward the rear of the right
hand board ( looking from behind) . The board is on
hinges so you can fold it back.

73 Zeno:smoke:

zeno
01-01-2015, 11:06 AM
Pincusion would be for the pull in right?
Pin problems give an hour glass shape. Adjust it to far & it
takes a barrel shape.
Pin control is VR504. The cap that goes is C521 its off one end
of the control. The manual says its either a 1mfd or 3.3mfd.
There may also be a 1mfd tacked in in parralell with it
prob under it. Use whatever it used.
Focus is a tap marked F1, F2, F3. probable wont see any difference.
Color problem check for bad solder on CRT board & dirty
controls. Common conections are at socket itself & the 3 output
transistors. That will keep you busy for now.

Dreamsbeard
01-01-2015, 11:54 AM
Pin problems give an hour glass shape. Adjust it to far & it
takes a barrel shape.
Pin control is VR504. The cap that goes is C521 its off one end
of the control. The manual says its either a 1mfd or 3.3mfd.
There may also be a 1mfd tacked in in parralell with it
prob under it. Use whatever it used.
Focus is a tap marked F1, F2, F3. probable wont see any difference.
Color problem check for bad solder on CRT board & dirty
controls. Common conections are at socket itself & the 3 output
transistors. That will keep you busy for now.

I'll get right down to it! Thanks!

Marco-nix
01-02-2015, 07:37 AM

If you want to send me a pdf of your schematic, i take it Zeno. your is probable the same that my own Sony....just communicate in private ;)

Marco-nix
01-02-2015, 07:41 AM
What problems exacly? People may be able to help if you describe specific problems. :)

I have the same problems as your television. Finally, almost all ... according to what I see on the pictures you put in your message, mine has the same problems.

Dreamsbeard
01-02-2015, 09:09 AM
I have the same problems as your television. Finally, almost all ... according to what I see on the pictures you put in your message, mine has the same problems.

Right! In that case stay tuned.

So I found the pin adjustment pot (you can get to it on the right side of the set as showed in the picture), and got rid of the hourglass shaped picture.

Also found the F1, F2 and F3 focus holes (see picture 2) , If I understand correcly the wire starts from F0 and goes to either F1, 2 or 3 right? So in order to try and adjust the focus I have to unsolder the wire from F1 and try F2 or F3?

As for the colour kicking in and out , I think its the CRT board because while adjusting the Pin cushion, I was gently tapping the board with my plastic tool and found that it accentuated the problem...so I will reflow the suspects connection.

Marco-nix
01-03-2015, 05:54 AM
Thank you Dreamsbeard...probably some cracked solders....anyway mine need to be recaped...I found a picture on internet...here is my model 1204

http://i38.servimg.com/u/f38/16/43/78/89/sony11.jpg

Dreamsbeard
01-03-2015, 06:59 AM
No problems, always glad to be of help.

BTW Marco, I skimmed over the Montreal Kijiji, and wow it's the Klondike of old television! I only checked the pages from december and there is at least 4 sets that I would grab.

Marco-nix
02-10-2015, 02:59 PM

The 2 manuals are similar. so I can take your KV-1204A.. if you have it in PDF ( scan. ) Thanks Zeno...

Marco-nix
04-14-2015, 12:32 PM
Recently I obtained this little tv that Dreamsbeard had for my Zenith solid state.. so ,You told him to transfer the yellow wire to resolder on F1 or F2 or F3 .. But .. there is a white wire welding with the yellow wire. So to have a better focus, should I leave the white wire F1 terminal and move the yellow wire on the last two terminals? either F2 or F3 or the last point .. or should I move the yellow wire with the white wire on one of these terminals?. Thanks for the help :)

here is the picture.

http://i19.servimg.com/u/f19/16/43/78/89/attach10.jpg

zeno
04-15-2015, 06:00 AM
My manual shows a different socket PCB. On mine the
wire goes to one of....
F0 ground
F1 275 V
F2 500V
F3 870V

The other end of the wire to move goes to a 560 K ohm resistor.
I think the white wire is just a jumper & not to be moved.
Usually moving focus jumpers make little or no difference in
the picture.
BTW the set in my manual looks very different ( newer ) than
yours.

Marco-nix
04-15-2015, 06:23 AM
Okay, is that there is still the danger of blowing up the CRT by changing the yellow wire terminal and it is safe given the different voltages?

Which terminal do you advise me?

Marco-nix
04-16-2015, 08:20 PM
My manual shows a different socket PCB. On mine the
wire goes to one of....
F0 ground
F1 275 V
F2 500V
F3 870V

The other end of the wire to move goes to a 560 K ohm resistor.
I think the white wire is just a jumper & not to be moved.
Usually moving focus jumpers make little or no difference in
the picture.
BTW the set in my manual looks very different ( newer ) than
yours.

Hello zeno..Can you please showing me a picture of your socket PSB ? i'm interested to know how is yours ( in the picture you have from the booklet ( sheet ). Thank you in advance..

Marco-nix
04-19-2015, 10:06 AM
okay, no answer, in that case i will try by myself....

zeno
04-19-2015, 10:19 AM
Sorry I have no way of sending pictures.
I see different style parts & some different
designations. Probably very close BUT......

Marco-nix
04-19-2015, 10:29 AM
Sorry I have no way of sending pictures.
I see different style parts & some different
designations. Probably very close BUT......

You can use a web-cam for taking a photo.. but you gave me some different voltages starting:

F0 ground
F1 275 V
F2 500V
F3 870V

The 2 wires ( white and yellow ) are in the same tip.. so you tell me that the white one needs to be stay there because its a ground,, the yellow one is also on the same tip but..... if I follow what you said to me. i can move the yellow to one of those ( these ) voltage tips.. and are not the same volatge. That's why i asked if there is no danger if i try to move the yellow wire on : 275 v or 500v or 870 v !..

zeno
04-19-2015, 03:08 PM
OK is the white wire the one going from F0 to the
green spark gap in your pix ??
If so it stays where it is. Its just a jumper.

If not that wire where does the white wire go ?

Unless you move the wrong wire there is no risk.

73 Zeno:beer:

Marco-nix
04-19-2015, 08:57 PM
The white wire is in place to terminal F0 ... What I want to know if I weld the yellow wire to the terminal F1 or F2 or F3, What kind of image I will have and what is the danger being given the different voltages.

zeno
04-20-2015, 08:30 AM
The white wire is in place to terminal F0 ... What I want to know if I weld the yellow wire to the terminal F1 or F2 or F3, What kind of image I will have and what is the danger being given the different voltages.
Be sure you are moving the right wire.
On my manual the wire to move goes to R711 560 K ohm.
The other end of R711 goes to CRT pin 6 & SG705
No danger if you move the right wire.
The pix may change focus better or worse. Often there is
little or no change moving the jumper.