View Full Version : Early 1949 Projection on CL What kind is it?

walterbeers
12-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Found this on my local craigslist and wondering if it would be worth it to pick up and restore. I didn't get an answer trying to call, as he or she only left a phone number but I did text for more info. What kind is it, brand, year, and any info from any VK members. I might just be able to go get it. Never seen one like it locally here.

WISCOJIM
12-03-2014, 04:18 PM
Looks like the same RCA model (9-PC-41) Chuck is trying to sell one of in the VK classifieds.

http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=263112

walterbeers
12-03-2014, 04:54 PM
It would be a neat collectors item, but I'm afraid that it would take so much to get it going, and if the CRT was bad, I'd have more into it than it would ever be worth. Would be a great museum piece though. Plus the screen is probably aged and would not produce a good image unless it could be re-coated. I have no idea about doing that or who could do it. By the time I would replace all the caps, bad resistors, tubes, wiring, and then, is the fly, yoke, and power transformer good? Plus it's so darned heavy it would take 3 or 4 guys to move it, I'm afraid. No, I haven't seen it in person, just was searching the web for info about it. Guess the info is discouraging me.

Electronic M
12-03-2014, 07:42 PM
This is why I have a CRT tester, and a flyback/yoke ring tester...Takes all the guess work out of buying an unrestored set.

IIRC the HV reg issues can be fixed with a SS HV tripler module.

Eric H
12-03-2014, 08:01 PM
I have one of these, not sure if it's the same model but it's the same chassis, think mine's a 48 model.

It wasn't any more difficult to get the chassis running than any other old set, the only difference really is the HV tripler circuitry and that's not complicated. Most of the chassis is common RCA parts, not sure about the Fly or Yoke but they look ordinary.
The other thing is it has three different chassis plus the CRT barrel which makes it awkward to work on.

The screen is a Fresnel Lens, plastic with concentric rings to distribute the light, as long as it's not broken or badly discolored it should be fine. (this one has some stains but I bet it would clean off).

5TP4's are obtainable, they can be tested with any regular CRT tester, the screen does turn brown with use so the darker it is the more it's probably been used, dark phosphor will still make a perfectly acceptable picture though if the emissions are good.
I got lucky and my set has a nearly new CRT with no discoloration.

The only other thing that could get expensive is if the parabolic mirror needs resilvered. Despite the rest of my set being a water & rodent damaged mess the mirror was in good shape.

They are huge and heavy.