View Full Version : Sony kv-1710

maxhifi
11-14-2014, 11:10 PM
Picked one up tonight, has a nice sharp picture and good sound. I checked the crt on my B&K and the red gun is a little weak, color tracking isn't great, however it checks perfect at 8.8V. I tried to let it sit at 8.8V for five minutes and all three guns were even there, but back to 6.3 red is still low. Oh well! I have always liked this era of Sony... Looks mid 70s

rca2000
11-14-2014, 11:20 PM
Sony trinitron tubes never have been known to be long-lived, unlike a 21FB/FJ or a chromacolor tube, or even a 21AXP22/21CYP22 can often be.

andy
11-15-2014, 01:11 AM

maxhifi
11-15-2014, 03:25 AM
On mine the blue and green are both about the same - red on the other hand is quite a bit lower, at the top of the middle area between good and bad... Not altogether bad, but bad enough to screw up colour tracking. The TV is totally watchable though. On the up side, learning how to use my B&K got me all enthusiastic and I tested the 25XP22 on my RCA CTC38... Tested near the top of the range on all three guns and colour tracking almost ideal... Wasn't expecting a TV from 1969 to test so well!

Should I attempt to rejuvenate the red gun? I have $20 into the TV and I wouldn't say I need it, but I am hesitant to ruin it

andy
11-15-2014, 09:17 AM

maxhifi
11-15-2014, 11:44 AM
Hmm maybe I will leave well enough alone. How does one go about setting grey scale on a sony? This one hasn't been touched since factory, and a touch up wouldn't hurt with the weak red gun and all. I am not seeing a normal/service Switch anywhere.

zeno
11-15-2014, 04:21 PM
I would not go beyond the " clean & balance" setting if you
rejuve. Sony jugs just dont take it. Most the time in a few
days they look like dog doot again. You can also H-K short it.

As far as grey scale goes make note of where the pots are set
then tweak things, there is no service switch. Do it in
a low light room & dont expect to drive the set balls out.
She's old & tired, & wants respect....

73 Zeno:smoke:

maxhifi
11-15-2014, 08:30 PM
No service switch? I am starting to see why techs don't favour sony. It is interesting to compare this tv to my 1973 vintage zenith portable hybrid TV, if I am to imagine myself buying one in the store I would probably have held out for the Sony, but the zenith is sure easier to work on.

zeno
11-16-2014, 08:13 AM
No service switch? I am starting to see why techs don't favour sony. It is interesting to compare this tv to my 1973 vintage zenith portable hybrid TV, if I am to imagine myself buying one in the store I would probably have held out for the Sony, but the zenith is sure easier to work on.
Your set isnt one of the bad ones, they came just after that chassis.
Thing were done a bit different by Sony and we were not used to
solid state yet. Parts were also a problem, and Sony's arrogance.
Had you got the Sony back then would have cost you $100 more
than the Zenith, a lot of $$ back then.

73 Zeno:smoke: