View Full Version : It's true! You can't give them away!

Celt
10-22-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm retiring this Emerson 13" stereo dvd-tv and have contacted four different people, all who have kids, about giving it to them. No one wants it! Granted, analog service on cable here will go away in 2015, but a converter box is all one would need....and it plays dvd's great! Sheesh!

http://videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=172721&d=1325437383

Eric H
10-22-2014, 01:52 PM
There are so many available for little or nothing so it's going to be hard to find a taker. The local Thrift sells their CRT sets for $3.98-$9.98, half off if you came early on Mondays.

Username1
10-22-2014, 02:11 PM
I picked up one of those a few months ago.... Great set....

They sell on ebay.... and sometimes near $100. or more.....

I can't figure it out, but I have put them on the watch list and see that for some
reason they do sell....

Robb
10-22-2014, 02:32 PM
Id take it for free... I mean, cant beat the price !

Celt
10-22-2014, 03:42 PM
It's free for the taking to a good home. BUT you gotta come get it!

Eric H
10-22-2014, 04:37 PM
It's only 939 miles one way from Ontario to Paragould, Arkansas!

Celt
10-22-2014, 05:11 PM
Better start hitchhiking! :lmao:

Sandy G
10-22-2014, 05:19 PM
Yeah, they spat those out by the gazillions, & most of 'em are still around... During sales campaigns, they often gave 'em away if you bought a BIG system, or sold 'em for peanuts.. Consequently, they aren't worth very much, if anything now. Shame, too. I bought one at Wally World about 15 yrs ago for my sister, I think w/tax & everything, out the door, it was around $75-80...

Celt
10-22-2014, 05:50 PM
Yup....I paid $75 for this juan. It's made better than you'd think too.

Sandy G
10-22-2014, 08:15 PM

Ayup... Me & my bud, John, MARVELLED how they could make a COLOR TV in China, ship it to America, & finally to Greater Bugtussle, Tennessee, sell it for $65, or whatever, & EVERYBODY still made money offa the damthing... The Mind Boggles..

Carmine
10-22-2014, 08:52 PM
Ayup... Me & my bud, John, MARVELLED how they could make a COLOR TV in China, ship it to America, & finally to Greater Bugtussle, Tennessee, sell it for $65, or whatever, & EVERYBODY still made money offa the damthing... The Mind Boggles..

That's easy. The same device in China costs $250. Those profits make up the losses in the US. Since China is a closed market, you aren't going to be undercut by some other nation's products at $225. It's called "dumping".

Lather, rinse, repeat. :banana:

dieseljeep
10-23-2014, 09:04 AM
That's easy. The same device in China costs $250. Those profits make up the losses in the US. Since China is a closed market, you aren't going to be undercut by some other nation's products at $225. It's called "dumping".

Lather, rinse, repeat. :banana:

Some of those sets are made in Thailand and Indonesia.

Username1
10-23-2014, 09:11 AM

Mine sounds very good, the speakers are bigger in that little set than in some
sets with bigger screens..... It is a good tv....

Celt
10-24-2014, 07:43 AM
Yup....it has two front mounted 3" speakers with fairly hefty magnets.

radiotvnut
10-24-2014, 11:00 AM
I know the feeling of trying to give away a nice working TV and can't. When I was a kid, I was happy with the 9" GE B&W, with no cable, that my parents let me use. Kids today think they are entitled to the latest HD TV and it's their parents who made them that way. Even when the cable company goes digital, they will provide a converter and you'll need that same converter, regardless of how new your TV is.

Beachboy
10-26-2014, 05:56 PM
I know the feeling of trying to give away a nice working TV and can't. When I was a kid, I was happy with the 9" GE B&W, with no cable, that my parents let me use. Kids today think they are entitled to the latest HD TV and it's their parents who made them that way. Even when the cable company goes digital, they will provide a converter and you'll need that same converter, regardless of how new your TV is.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who is frustrated at selling or giving away perfectly good CRT TV's. I'd like to join flat panel HD community, but I have perfectly good 10 year old CRT TV's that may outlive me!

When I was a kid, my first working TV was my grandparent's old Zenith B&W 21" table model from the mid 50's. They bought a newer TV and rather than trade in the old TV (yeah back eons ago, TV dealers actually accepted trade-ins!), they gave it to me as a Christmas gift when I was in junior high school. The picture tube was almost gone, but I watched it for a couple of years, before saving up enough to buy a brand new 12" B&W set.

And I completely agree with you about the sense of entitlement that kids nowadays all seem to have! :sigh:

radiotvnut
10-26-2014, 07:32 PM
I have 3 broken decent sized flat screens that I thought about trying to fix and sell; but, the cost of new flat screens seems to be coming down daily. So, people are not going to pay much for a used one; which, limits what I can spend on the set and still make a profit. Another factor is that if the TV stops working (or, they hit it with something and break the screen) within the first six months, they'll expect me to take care of it for nothing. Frankly, it's not worth the trouble.

As far as CRT TV's, I recently had a '93 Toshiba 19" that I tried to sell for $15. The only two people who were interested backed out when they found out it didn't have A/V input jacks ($15 and they expect the moon). There was a time that I could have easily gotten $75-$100 for the same TV, in short order. I had two other CRT TV's that I didn't even bother to advertise. Someone from a flea market showed up and bought the TV's as part of a package deal with some other stuff (it averaged out to about $10/TV). His flea market is in a rural area, where he has a lot of older customers. He said that they'd still buy an old TV because most of them are not trying to "keep up with the Joneses." Instead, they only want a cheap working TV.

Electronic M
10-26-2014, 07:34 PM
You probably could have got a new CRT for the 21" for comparable $ and had a bigger
screen...

The thrifts around here sometimes let BPCs go for 0.50$ when they got a bunch.
You can't give a SS set to me unless it has a deltagun CRT or signal tubes in it...That is unless I happen to need HV wire and 470uF 200V caps...

rcaman
11-01-2014, 08:00 PM
had a guy give us 2 sets yesterday at the tv shop. a 25" rca and a 20" emerson. i put the rca up front for $40.00 and the darn thing sold within 2 hours.
i didnt bring the emerson up front it is a funia made set and they do have a good picture on them.

DaveWM
11-01-2014, 08:11 PM
had a guy give us 2 sets yesterday at the tv shop. a 25" rca and a 20" emerson. i put the rca up front for $40.00 and the darn thing sold within 2 hours.
i didnt bring the emerson up front it is a funia made set and they do have a good picture on them.

maybe to a disgruntled flat screen owner. I am watching the ole miss/auburn game on my sony trinitron from 1972, super sharp and great color.