View Full Version : Admiral roundy

josephdaniel
10-14-2014, 10:34 PM
So I won this Admiral roundy set on eBay for dirt cheap. I took a risk, and bought from a seller with zero ratings and not very good pictures... I try not to make a habit of that except when I really want something... Looking at the set again, it almost seems too cheap ($68.00 total) so I will keep a close watch on it and the seller to see whats up... If this one turns out to be a scam I already have a few lined up that I am interested in from this sight...

To me it looks like it might be a CTC-11 clone or something about like that. How well did these sets perform compared to their RCA counterparts? Did they suffer from unstable "settings" such as convergence, linearity, ect..?

http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njk2WDkyOA==/z/TBoAAOSwr81UNtJW/$_57.JPG
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njk2WDkyOA==/z/i5AAAOSwajVUNtJp/$_57.JPG

tvcollector
10-14-2014, 10:38 PM
Just curious how you are going to get it to your house if you live all the way in Texas? A mover from U ship?

josephdaniel
10-14-2014, 11:34 PM
It would be freight, but I could make other arrangements... I really am starting to think something shady is going on here...
At least every time it is resisted eBay penalizes the ad by moving it lower...
It would be nice if it was just someone who didn't have the hart to throw the thing in the trash, but was sick of seeing it so they just decided to basically pay someone to take it who would love it... Wishful thinking...

DaveWM
10-15-2014, 07:02 AM
re listed?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-television-/271636164762?

I was going to check on this one, but frankly did not want to make the 100 mile trip with out better pics. Still has the unrealistic shipping, which they were aware of in the 1st listing.

dieseljeep
10-15-2014, 09:48 AM
[QUOTE=josephdaniel;3117174]So I won this Admiral roundy set on eBay for dirt cheap. I took a risk, and bought from a seller with zero ratings and not very good pictures... I try not to make a habit of that except when I really want something... Looking at the set again, it almost seems too cheap ($68.00 total) so I will keep a close watch on it and the seller to see whats up... If this one turns out to be a scam I already have a few lined up that I am interested in from this sight...

To me it looks like it might be a CTC-11 clone or something about like that. How well did these sets perform compared to their RCA counterparts? Did they suffer from unstable "settings" such as convergence, linearity, ect..?

It was probably the last Admiral roundie.
IIRC, a G11 chassis. It uses the 6LE8 based color circuitry. They also had a poor excuse, for a hi-voltage regulator, some feed-back arrangement. They were also hard on flybacks. The Admiral flyback kit came with a bunch of components, that upgraded the regulator circuit.

DaveWM
10-15-2014, 10:03 AM
that pretty much is what is in my philco, perhaps the PF is just a admiral clone. uses feedback to regulate (no tube).

Zenith26kc20
10-15-2014, 12:43 PM
The shipping quote is a result of using EBAY's shipping calculator. The calculator is a terrible joke! When I sell anything on EBAY I have to run the size and weight through the roof to get a realistic shipping price to show.
I remember changing a lot of Admiral flybacks. The instructions required "ball shaped" solder joints. I guess this was for corona reduction or arc over from the terminals. The sets did have a good picture!

Bill R
10-15-2014, 05:14 PM
Looks like the set has been relisted with a $250 buy it now.

josephdaniel
10-15-2014, 05:36 PM
It had a 250 BIN before. I have been talking with the seller and he seems legitimate, but I am keeping an eye on him...

DaveWM
10-15-2014, 06:14 PM
so what happened you won it but now its relisted?

rca2000
10-15-2014, 06:39 PM
so what happened you won it but now its relisted?

I was also wondering about that--I though you OWNED it now...

josephdaniel
10-15-2014, 07:05 PM
Yeah, I went on some of the eBay discussion boards and found out thatfor some reason some eBay accounts have been relisting items already sold...
I believe it is officially my property once you accept payment...

also, from what I understand about the rules on eBay if an item is sold with the incorrect shipping information listedthe seller is still required to ship it for the specified amount, and asking for more money to cover the shipping is considered a violation of terms of the Terms of Service...

Bill R
10-15-2014, 07:11 PM
Once the auction is over it is legally binding for both parties involved.

Bill R
10-15-2014, 07:15 PM
Not sure how much I would push the issue. I would probably be thankful I hadn't made a payment and then report them to ebay. Since you aren't going to be able to pick it up in person, it may be best to just move on.

DaveWM
10-15-2014, 07:15 PM
that shipping is not reasonable, it may just get "broken" before they ship it, seen that before. Generally speaking I make sure seller knows how to ship, and make sure they get enough to do it right.

tvcollector
10-15-2014, 07:40 PM
Maybe he should be ending the relisted auction? I'd be asking for a telephone number to talk to them in person.. When I buy big stuff like this on eBay, I always exchange phone contact, and make sure they make the auction a local pickup or other, So I only pay them for the set, and I pay the mover the moving costs.. Like the GE set im getting.. I've already made arrangements for my mover I hire, and they are going to hold it for a few weeks to a month before he picks the set up and plans his routes.. He charges me $200 for a sized set like this or slightly bigger.. I've never had anything shipped freight, but from what I was told, it's around 150-200... I might as well hire my mover, at least I deal with one person shipping direct, and if anything happens I don't have to deal with 3rd parties..

DaveWM
10-19-2014, 03:51 PM
wow, its up to 15 cents, Maybe I will be a high roller and throw in on it.

tvcollector
10-19-2014, 04:10 PM
It doesn't even make since.. It's relisted, with the same bidder and the shipping is still at a real cheap price... Why don't you just offer the seller $50 or what ever you are willing to pay for the set and have a mover move it for you?

Eric H
10-19-2014, 04:19 PM
The seller is now a -1 feedback, I'd walk away from it.

Would you even want to meet this seller in person? :no:

tvcollector
10-19-2014, 05:04 PM
Ouch.. I didn't see that.. I would too.. Something is fishy with that seller...

DaveWM
10-19-2014, 06:11 PM
10.50, lets see if this sticks.

josephdaniel
10-21-2014, 07:53 PM
I canceled the money a while ago and he never even said anything... and from the messages that I exchanges with him the messages were rather lacking in quality...