View Full Version : 10th Annual Television Shootout

etype2
08-25-2014, 08:44 AM
The 10th annual television shootout just concluded 1 week ago. Plasma, LCD, 4K and OLED were evaluated. Here is a link of two 5 hour live stream events over two days. Joe Kane and other industry leaders gave presentations. Extremely valuable information if you have the time. Then the televisions were tested. In the first seven minutes of the first stream, the audio is poor, just fast forward past this segment.

First download the Livestream App for free to avoid commercials.
Here is the link. http://new.livestream.com/accounts/632436/events/3297676 It will open the videos in Livestream.
Guess who won.

I would have liked to see blind testing and more rigid testing standards, but it was interesting.

vts1134
08-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Did you attend? I would love to have been there. I can't wait until OLED goes 4K and gets refined even further. Their 55" model was the first display that floored me in a long time. We all stared at it with our mouths open for quite a long time when we first got one in our shop.

Eric H
08-25-2014, 01:57 PM
I can't access that site without signing up but found a link here: http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-wins-value-electronics-shootout-2014/

The OLED beat Plasma in contrast and black level but not in color accuracy, they both beat LCD by a mile. The Plasma is also MUCH cheaper than the OLED at this point though that'll probably change.

I also note they are calling the LCD sets "LED" which I'm pretty sure only refers to the back lighting.

Have they solved the longevity issues with OLED yet?

etype2
08-25-2014, 02:02 PM
Did you attend? I would love to have been there. I can't wait until OLED goes 4K and gets refined even further. Their 55" model was the first display that floored me in a long time. We all stared at it with our mouths open for quite a long time when we first got one in our shop.

No to far away for me. The winner of this shootout was the LG 55EC9300 55 inch 1080P WOLED. It just went on sale for $3,499.99 at Best Buy. (Sorry about money mention) big price drop from previous OLED TV's. One reason, LG's approach uses just white OLED with RGBW filters. Easier to manufacture, gives them improved yields resulting in lower prices.

I read that this October, LG is bringing out a 65 inch and 77 inch 4K WOLED televisions. The 77 inch is very pricey.

etype2
08-25-2014, 02:12 PM
I can't access that site without signing up but found a link here: http://www.cnet.com/news/lg-wins-value-electronics-shootout-2014/

Have they solved the longevity issues with OLED yet?

Heard the blue OLED was the weakest. As I understand it, LG only uses white OLED as the emissive source, but uses RGBW filters. They lose brightness by passing the light through the filters, but make up a bit with the white stripe added to the RGB.

Samsung is using individual RGB OLED, but much harder to manufacture and priced much higher. Some reports say Samsung dropped out of large panel production leaving it all to LG.

In the shootout the voters preferred the LG WOLED over the Samsung OLED. Sharp and Vizio were invited, could not make it.

http://www.twice.com/sites/default/files//2014%20VE%20TV%20Shootout%20results.jpg

andy
08-28-2014, 09:39 AM

etype2
08-28-2014, 11:13 AM
The Sony XEL-1 was the first consumer OLED in 2007. But it went nowhere, more of a curiosity. I would have thought Sony with the lead at that time, would be the leader in OLED, but unfortunately this was time their financial problems started. Now they are struggling to survive, selling off assets all at the expense of innovation. Now there is talk that Sony and Panasonic are planning to use LG OLED panels.

In last years Displaymate shootout, the Samsung OLED won. LG is supposed to be adding a good number of new WOLED sets this fall. Hope it happens.

andy
08-28-2014, 12:43 PM

rlovison
08-28-2014, 01:25 PM
ok, I'm lost... what is the difference between an OLED and a WOLED?

Electronic M
08-28-2014, 01:40 PM

The difference is you look at one and say "Oh, LED?", then look at the other and say "WOo LED!"...:D

Edit: I'm surprised Sandy G has not commented on this thread yet, he loves shootin' out TVs.

rlovison
08-28-2014, 02:53 PM
LOL, I guess I walked right into that one.

OK, after re-reading I guess the WOLED has to do with the white LEDs and RGBW filters.

etype2
08-28-2014, 04:07 PM

Yup. :D. White OLED.

ChrisW6ATV
08-31-2014, 01:30 AM
I am going to wait for non-organic LED panels, however long that takes, before I move away from LCD-panel sets and projectors. OLED to me just seems like a big compromise on longevity and worrying about burn-in or image retention the same as with plasma displays. Bad experiences with things like Samsung "AMOLED" cell-phone displays have not helped.

andy
08-31-2014, 11:26 AM

etype2
08-31-2014, 04:26 PM
I remember CLED. It was difficult to manufacture and viable for large panels. I think the trend to 4K killed it.

Two new LG WOLED televisions went on sale in Korea this week. They are promised for the U.S. within weeks, a 65 and 77 inch 4K WOLED televisions. I have not seen a large OLED panel yet, but plan to check the 55 inch being sold at Best Buy, keeping in mind that they most likely will over drive it. People that have seen them say they are amazing. I did see the Sony XEL-1 and it was absolutely beautiful.

This technology has the potential to be the cheapest to manufacture, it is just now getting off the ground and now the prices have dropped dramatically. I remember when Sharp debuted their 65 inch LCD in 2005. It cost $10k. I hope OLED, WOLED take off.

vts1134
09-01-2014, 08:58 AM
Prices on the LG panel have already plummeted faster than the usual race to zero that we normally see. Just a few months ago we were selling them for almost $15,000 and now they can be had for less than $4,000.

etype2
09-01-2014, 12:52 PM
Love your avatar John.