View Full Version : 89 Sears LXI 20 inch set.

rca2000
08-23-2014, 09:19 PM
I picked up this 20 inch Sears LXI set Wednesday, in Centerville. It is newer than I normally like-BUT I kinda have a sort of "soft spot" for it--beacuse I WORKED on this type of set when they were new, at the Sears service center.

It is a stereo set, full digital controls with a full A/V package--including speaker terminal outs. The remote was taped on top, has a LOT of buttons, and can control an LXI vcr it looks like. It is made by Sanyo, is a cold chassis with SMPS and it, and the audio out, a LA4270 IC, 5W/CH, are mounted on a board on the left side of the main board. The tube looks to be an RCA, not sure if it is bonded yoke or not. Tube IS quite good, I checked the set before I got it, and was greeted with BW snow, audio noise and menu. This set looks nice, other than missing the door at the bottom which covers the digital control buttons. The chassis is a LOT like a console one would be. Has an LA7830 V-out. I have replaced a LOT of these in my time of tv repair. IIRC, the flys did not go out too often in the cold sets of this type--but DID go out more often in the hot sets Sanyo made for Sears.

If i had not come along when I did, this set likely would next be meeting a packer truck NOT now. Besides, it was only $9.99, and when I got to the register I found it was HALF price, so I got it for around 5!!

Jon A.
08-23-2014, 09:27 PM
Pretty nice looking set for an '89, the woodgrain look helps a lot. Extra points for not being an overly-common brand.

rca2000
08-23-2014, 09:31 PM
Probably cost someone about 400-500 New in 89 too.

NOW--if I can just find one of the 31 or even 35 inch CONSOLE Sanyo sears models. ONE of the nice 31 inch 89 consoles GOT AWAY from me at a local thrift store a couple of years back...when I went to get if about $35 or so....it was gone. It had the doors and all.

radiotvnut
08-23-2014, 10:03 PM
I had one of those 20" sets a few years ago and it used a Zenith/Rauland CRT that was on it's way out. The RCA tubes rarely gave trouble.

zeno
08-24-2014, 09:56 AM
Nice find. A highly underrated set. Always liked them,
clean & simple with a damn good pix. Wish I could do
them all day.

73 Zeno:smoke: