View Full Version : rca focus rectifier

timmy
08-15-2014, 10:18 AM
does anyone know the rca focus rectifier part number for the ctc15 chassis. thanks

StellarTV
08-15-2014, 05:57 PM
Focus rectifier on a CTC15 is a 1V2 tube.

dieseljeep
08-15-2014, 10:20 PM
Focus rectifier on a CTC15 is a 1V2 tube.

The CTC15 is the only RCA that used a selenium stick type focus rectifier.
Can't remember the part number, but they were available from, just about every semiconductor maker, such as GE, NTE, IR and Philips ECG. :scratch2:

rick65
08-15-2014, 11:13 PM
From the RCA Service Data Book Dated 1963 T6
location CR102 Focus Rectifier
RCA #113397 Rectifier selenium

StellarTV
08-16-2014, 01:13 AM
Wow! Mustn't have worked out well since the CTC16 went back to the tube.

marty59
08-16-2014, 08:40 AM
Wow! Mustn't have worked out well since the CTC16 went back to the tube.

I always wondered that myself, but...

I do believe that the stick rectifier did it's job well, but maybe the fact of being able to quickly replace a tube (as opposed to) in the field had something to do with the decision.

dieseljeep
08-16-2014, 08:54 AM
From the RCA Service Data Book Dated 1963 T6
location CR102 Focus Rectifier
RCA #113397 Rectifier selenium

Yah, that's the number!
I would buy at least three at a time. All the clones used them, as well.
Zenith used them, starting with the "X" chassis, for a few years.

timmy
08-16-2014, 10:07 AM
ok guys great since thats the number i have and im sure this chassis needs the rectifier as well as the 6kv 130 cap and related resistors because upon turning it on the picture is a bit out of focus and after a few minutes its better but needs much more focus but cannot obtain it. so im sure something along the lines of those components are going bad.the fly is new so i might as well go ahead and change these items and hope it cures the problem.

Tim
08-16-2014, 11:56 AM
Here are 2 sources:

http://www.surplussalespa.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=177&products_id=14578&osCsid=a640a2e78768bef5cf4e5f31a9c65f07

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-State-JJ650-F-Selenium-Color-Focus-Rectifier-DIODE-NOS-/111051659375

dieseljeep
08-16-2014, 02:58 PM
ok guys great since thats the number i have and im sure this chassis needs the rectifier as well as the 6kv 130 cap and related resistors because upon turning it on the picture is a bit out of focus and after a few minutes its better but needs much more focus but cannot obtain it. so im sure something along the lines of those components are going bad.the fly is new so i might as well go ahead and change these items and hope it cures the problem.

I wouldn't replace the rest of the parts!
99% of the time, the rectifier cured the focus problem. :thmbsp:

walterbeers
08-16-2014, 04:15 PM
I used to replace a lot of those selenium rectifier focus sticks. They were a very common problem of poor focus. Mainly I bought those made by Workman. Also there is a boost selenium rectifier that goes bad as well under the chassis that provides the boost voltage for the screen controls. When that goes bad, boost voltage drops, along with the brightness which is tied to one side of the color screen controls. Workman also made those as well. Both of those were very common to go bad.

walterbeers
08-16-2014, 04:20 PM
ECG also has them, it's ECG118. Just do a google search for selenium focus rectifier. There are several on there for sale.

timmy
08-16-2014, 05:55 PM
well i have the rectifier now i know i have the right number and yes workman and ecg has them i did see that. and really all i have for this set is the rectifier and the 130 6kv cap is all i can change while im in there, i dont know how reliable thoses 130 6kv caps are but i do know these rec sticks were a problem.

DaveWM
08-16-2014, 06:45 PM
if the focus stick does not fix it, make sure you have the focus coil installed right. I use a simpson 260 on the 5kv setting and make sure the focus coil does does a good change. Also its possible the focus voltage could be too high not likely but possible. there is a relation ship between the anode HV and how much focus you need as well. If the HV is way out of spec, you may not have enough range to focus. I had a problem when I installed a new focus coil I had to switch around some wires to get it to function as it should. Hopefully you have the orig coil and its good, if you installed one it can be confusing.

Electronic M
08-16-2014, 08:51 PM
n. Also there is a boost selenium rectifier that goes bad as well under the chassis that provides the boost voltage for the screen controls. When that goes bad, boost voltage drops, along with the brightness which is tied to one side of the color screen controls. Workman also made those as well. Both of those were very common to go bad.

A good recommendation. I had one fail on me, and the set would not display a raster except for a a split second after turning it off. The boost was designed to be under 2KV on my set so I used two 1KV diodes that radio shack sells in series to replace it...~Four years later it is still holding up just fine.

dieseljeep
08-17-2014, 10:48 AM
A good recommendation. I had one fail on me, and the set would not display a raster except for a a split second after turning it off. The boost was designed to be under 2KV on my set so I used two 1KV diodes that radio shack sells in series to replace it...~Four years later it is still holding up just fine.
I was thinking of doing that very same thing, only with the focus stick, maybe several more in series.
There used to be solid state plug-in replacements for 1V2, 2AV2, 3AT2, 3A3 and 6DW4. I only used the 3A3 replacements, when the filament winding arced through. I cut the leads from the HV rectifier socket and used the replacement.

timmy
08-17-2014, 03:18 PM
well i didnt get into it yet but as i was told from the original owner was that the set was never worked on so im sure the focus coil is original. so i hope just the stick does the job. but what about the 130 6kv ceramic disc cap would it be a good idea to change that as well because the stick is under the chassis so i really dont want to have to yank this thing out 2 times but just the stick and it cures it ok but if it dont well then i guess ill be pulling again if i dont change the cap.

Findm-Keepm
08-23-2014, 10:38 PM
Here are 2 sources:

http://www.surplussalespa.com/catalog/product_info.php?manufacturers_id=177&products_id=14578&osCsid=a640a2e78768bef5cf4e5f31a9c65f07

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Solid-State-JJ650-F-Selenium-Color-Focus-Rectifier-DIODE-NOS-/111051659375

Also, talonix:

http://www.talonix.com/shop/item.aspx?itemid=15584

Surplus Sales of PA has a minimum order of 10 dollars, else a 5 dollar service fee.

Cheers,