View Full Version : The one thing I miss

oldtvman
08-05-2014, 07:20 AM
Back in the day walking into a tv store gave you a similar feeling to walking into a new car dealership. The wooden cabinets had a distinctive new set smell.

kvflyer
08-05-2014, 07:23 AM
Yes! I am 66 and I remember that. There were shops all over downtown Baltimore and later, there were shops in the suburbs. There was even a Lafayette Radio store about 1.5 miles from our home.

Tubes on the shelf behind the counter and CRTs in stock...

DavGoodlin
08-05-2014, 08:05 AM
I was 8 in 1971 when my parents decided to take the plunge into color TV.
The store was a Zenith and Motorola dealer and smelled like a furniture store mixed with warm dusty electronics.

oldtvsandtoy
08-05-2014, 08:15 AM
what does any of this have to do with color tv?

dieseljeep
08-05-2014, 09:30 AM

Buying the first color TV was a special event, for most first buyers.
Most held off buying one until there were more programs in color, which seemed to be around 1965-6.
Also, many stations had the large capital investment of converting to color programming.
It took a while for a few of the networks to set up for color programming, as well.
Maybe this statement, doesn't have anything to do with color TV, either. :sigh:

old_coot88
08-05-2014, 09:34 AM
'Specially when there were used sets for sale, there was the scent of lemon oil and Old English from keeping the cabinets spiffed up

Kevin Kuehn
08-05-2014, 09:55 AM
Even Radio Shack smelled good back in the early days. :)

zeno
08-05-2014, 10:15 AM
'Specially when there were used sets for sale, there was the scent of lemon oil and Old English from keeping the cabinets spiffed up
In our shop it was the smell of smoke. The 4 insiders all smoked
& when you opened the door it would billow out. Smoke while you
sell, fix, talk on phone, eat, or drop a deuce. We smoked like fiends.
Folks were tolerant back then, not like now. Most now try to carve out
a 100 ft radius where anything you do offends them.

BTW the shop remained smoke friendly to the end abt 4 yrs ago.
We were the last Mom & Pop for miles around. One day abt yr 2000
the board of health came by & hung no smoking within 20' of doors
on the whole strip mall. He came in talked while we smoked & said
nothing, bought a new Sony a few weeks later.

73 Zeno:smoke::smoke::smoke:

Pete Deksnis
08-05-2014, 11:54 AM
In our shop it was the smell of smoke. The 4 insiders all smoked
& when you opened the door it would billow out. Smoke while you
sell, fix, talk on phone, eat, or drop a deuce. We smoked like fiends.
Folks were tolerant back then, not like now. Most now try to carve out
a 100 ft radius where anything you do offends them.

BTW the shop remained smoke friendly to the end abt 4 yrs ago.
We were the last Mom & Pop for miles around. One day abt yr 2000
the board of health came by & hung no smoking within 20' of doors
on the whole strip mall. He came in talked while we smoked & said
nothing, bought a new Sony a few weeks later.

73 Zeno:smoke::smoke::smoke:

I'd love to continue the thread with my anti-smoking tale. :yes: But can't figure how to connect it to a CT-100! :scratch2:

Pete

DavGoodlin
08-05-2014, 01:25 PM

It would be nice to get a picture of a bunch of 21" color sets in a showroom on this thread.

Color TV - like automatic transmission and free long distance, is taken for granted anymore.

What I miss is that experience of looking at all the CRT sets in one place, many places had them on but the three places I worked that sold them did not do that like the department stores.

Again, i miss THAT SMELL To quote one of my favorite bands from the 70s'

"oo-oh that smell, caint cha smell that smell,oo-oh that smell, the smell that surrounds tubes":smoke:

reeferman
08-05-2014, 01:35 PM
Back in the day walking into a tv store gave you a similar feeling to walking into a new car dealership. The wooden cabinets had a distinctive new set smell.

I miss 8 track tapes.
LOL

Jon A.
08-05-2014, 02:04 PM
I miss 8 track tapes.
LOL
Seriously? And did you get that quote from Married With Children?

I would miss them if I was old enough to remember seeing them in stores. :) If only they could still be had that easily.

Sandy G
08-05-2014, 03:12 PM
I dunno, guys, I made a livin' offa the Evil Weed most of my life-Either growing it as a crop, or printing labels to package it in. There is hardly anything grown on a farm that is HARDER than raising & harvesting Burley Tobacco-It is quite literally a 13 month, 8 day a week job. It is HIGHLY labor intensive, whether its gassing the beds, settling the seedlings, transplanting them to the actual beds, tending the young plants, "Suckering" then topping them, cutting them around Labor Day, hanging them in the barn to cure, grading them & selling them about Christmastime. During the growing season, they get covered w/a sticky "Wax" which makes them MUCH fun to handle. Its ALWAYS about 1500 degrees in the Backer Patch, the plants themselves are flimsy & easily broken, except, of course, when you're trying to cut off extra stalks-"Suckering", & then cutting the blooms off the top-"Topping". These are designed to make the remaining stalk's leaves to get as large as possible, for the best yield. Whrn you cut the plants about Labor Day, you have to hang them in the rafters of yr barn to let them "Cure". THAT'S Big Fun, too, you're 25' in the air, trying to hoist heavy, sappy tobacco plants & hang them on a too-skinny board, not to fall, & not to bump into the plate sized wasp nest right over there. Its also hotter than hell in there, & a barnful of curing tobacco plants puts out a smell that will make yr eyes water. Aroung Thanksgiving-Christmastime, you then have to unload yr crop from the upper reaches of the barn, & try not to destroy the leaves. If its a hopefully damp day, the tobacco will be "In Case", & you can tie it in knots. Otherwise, it is like any other leaf, dry & brittle. Then you put it in big baskets & haul it to market. Hopefully, the buyers won't find too much to fuss about your crop, & you get a nice fat check for Christmas. But if you honestly put all the time you've spent busting yr butt for that Big Fat Check, you'd prolly find you've earned about .75 an hour...

Jon A.
08-05-2014, 08:02 PM

Sandy G
08-05-2014, 08:26 PM
I'd LOVE to have all you smokers talk to my Mom... But you CAN'T-She died Aug 208 from COPD, & Emphysema. She smoked from the time she was 15, about 1940, till '77, when she was hypnotized. But the damage was already done. She "Lit one offa one" for most of the 1st 20 yrs of my life. COPD/Emphysema is a nice little disease-Just kills you a LITTLE each day, nothing to bother you with, really... Until you realize that shortness of breath makes you wheeze like you just ran a marathon trying to get from yr bed to the bathroom...

bgadow
08-05-2014, 08:31 PM
I sure don't miss the smell of all the places around town where smoking used to be common...but I do miss the smell of our hometown GE/Zenith dealer, Evey's TV. I have a few things that came from there when he retired and you can still take a whiff and be transported back!

Jon A.
08-05-2014, 08:54 PM
I'd LOVE to have all you smokers talk to my Mom... But you CAN'T-She died Aug 208 from COPD, & Emphysema. She smoked from the time she was 15, about 1940, till '77, when she was hypnotized. But the damage was already done. She "Lit one offa one" for most of the 1st 20 yrs of my life. COPD/Emphysema is a nice little disease-Just kills you a LITTLE each day, nothing to bother you with, really... Until you realize that shortness of breath makes you wheeze like you just ran a marathon trying to get from yr bed to the bathroom...
I've seen the effects of that, yikes. My mom fortunately uses inhalers now, and never chain-smoked. Kind of counter-intuitive that I didn't get into that or drinking, considering that I grew up around those who did both in excess.

"It's an unhealthy habit I don't encourage in others son. Get smart; give it up by not taking it up". Dan Aykroyd, a.k.a. Joe Friday, Dragnet, 1987.

Sandy G
08-05-2014, 09:06 PM
Let's just say I DON'T have a very good feeling towards tobacco.. Even though it fed, clothed, educated, & provided me a soft, cushy life... It took my Mom from me.. THAT I can NEVER forgive.. Never will forget seeing her in her coffin...It was about this time..The "Hard" look was gone from her face... She looked like the "Winnie" we all knew & loved, that had been absent for SO long.. Her little hands weren't swollen anymore...DON'T smoke.. If you do, STOP. Period. End of discussion..

Jon A.
08-05-2014, 09:27 PM
Anyway, while I don't remember any distinctive TV shop smell, I was in Tel-Star drooling over a console once, no idea what brand it was. The shop sold appliances too, didn't realize until I found an old Polaroid of mine with the shop sign in the background. I guess my semi-BPC 1989 19" color set was unsatisfactory to me even back then. I was stoked to get that 19" set though, I hated my B&W Admiral so much I took it apart even before I got my own color set as I recall.

Electronic M
08-05-2014, 10:31 PM
Third time I'm trying to type the exact same set of thoughts that login expiration erased twice on trying to post while at work this afternoon.

I've always associated tube electronics most strongly with the smell of cherry pipe tobacco and found it to be a pleasant scent. The tech that gave me the knowledge to go from collector to restorer smoked it. His shop and the tube radios he had for sale had that smell to them as did some sets I had acquired before then. My grandpa Ed smoked the same stuff too.

It should come as no surprise that when I realized I was old enough to smoke I quickly moved to cherry pipe tobacco. I know it's not the best for my health so I try to keep it to once a week and I've refrained for over a month at times...But tend to crank it up to ~4 times a week when college gets rough. I figure it's very low risk compared to those folks who like to smoke chains. I don't get addicted this way and the nicotine high is easier to achieve when I'm not dulling it's effects by having it too often.

DavGoodlin
08-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Ah pipe smoke. My first job in a shop was w/a 60 yr old WW II vet who was in France, had a real sense of humor was winding down but knew GE faults thoroughly. Came in at 11 sharp went on the road from 1:30 on and that was it. His favorite trick was to make noises just when I plugged in a set.

Still some of his 57-69 GE fact'r'y manuals and if I catch a whiff of pipe tobacco in them anymore, Im in that shop again, with the tube boxes facing me from the back wall and a KE chassis likely on the bench. Burkum Riff something it was called, black pouch. It added atmosphere to the dusty relics of a once-upon-a-time 4-man shop.

Was not much fun riding from home and back close to the ashtray in the service wagon, Dodge Colt, a three diamonds product. The tube caddy reeked when we took it in the homes.

rca2000
08-06-2014, 12:07 AM
Getting back to the "tv smell"...

I have LONG noticed that vintage RCA sets-- back to at least the CTC5 era ..this includes console stereos too--have 'their own smell". I can't really describe this--it is NOT a bad smell, but a UNIQUE one. Not really a metallic odor, not a wood odor. Just that ol' "RCA SMELL" .

oldtvman
08-06-2014, 03:00 AM

Well if your old enough buying a color tv back in the day was a really big deal and the smell from the new sets enhanced the buying experience much like the new car smell does for buying cars and trucks. People had to lay out a lot of cash back in the day and the whole process was a lot more exciting than buying anything today in electronics.

oldtvsandtoy
08-06-2014, 06:14 AM
Ok got to know, would this not be the case for buying your first b&w too? High cost and not much on?

Colly0410
08-06-2014, 07:59 AM
The Sony colour set my Mam (or Mom, vowels move around in regional English English) had a characteristic warmish smell, quite pleasant. Talking of pipe smell: I could always tell when Uncle Reg had come for a visit as you could smell his pipe as soon as you walked in the door & for hours after he'd gone. Mam was a heavy smoker & she got lung cancer, it reduced a strong Woman to an invalid, I wouldn't wish it on anyone. When I see teens smoking it makes me feel so sad for them. BTW I've never smoked..

Username1
08-06-2014, 07:01 PM
Getting back to the "tv smell"...

I have LONG noticed that vintage RCA sets-- back to at least the CTC5 era ..this includes console stereos too--have 'their own smell". I can't really describe this--it is NOT a bad smell, but a UNIQUE one. Not really a metallic odor, not a wood odor. Just that ol' "RCA SMELL" .

........... that was "RCA tube tobacco" yer tube sets were smokin'.......

Username1
08-06-2014, 07:17 PM
Far too often I click on a thread thinking it's new, only to find it's been on going for a while,
or even more than a year, and I've been missing something good.........
I start reading from page 2, then go backwards.....

Sandy; Tell me where I can get yer first book, and by now I assume yer well into
yer second, so please post a link when it's out.....

rca2000
08-06-2014, 07:22 PM
........... that was "RCA tube tobacco" yer tube sets were smokin'.......

Not so..Their SS sets have the same smell usually. So--it is not tube heat--and this is noticeable even when the set is OFF, if you remove the back or such...

It may INDEED have something to do with the wood cabinets--not sure the plastic ones do it...

Sandy G
08-06-2014, 07:27 PM
My earliest remembrances of my Mom was curled up on her lap/chest-HARD to believe I was EVER that small-nursing a milk bottle, while she & my Dad watched Huntley-Brinkley Report on NBC, on the big Zenith B/W. The "Den" was quite small, & that Zenith was a 24 or maybe a 27", FULL of tubes, & IT could certainly "Fog" up the room. She didn't smoke when I was layin' on her like that, well as I recall. She was a TINY woman, I could pick her up by the time I was 11-12 or so, put her on my hip, & stomp thru the house w/her squallin', screechin', laughin' to PUT ME DOWN !! Oh, to be able to do that just one more time...

Jon A.
08-06-2014, 07:41 PM
Fog up the room huh? Oh man, imagine what a place with a TV like that would do to my glasses when stepping inside on a cold day.

oldtvman
08-06-2014, 08:18 PM
Ok got to know, would this not be the case for buying your first b&w too? High cost and not much on?

You have to understand that people's wages weren't that high back in the late 50's and 60's In fact I read where the Rca CT100's price was about the average salary of the American worker. The other problem was when you laid out all that money the number of color shows on was very limited. I remember going thru the tv guide to see what was on in color and those were the shows we watched regardless if we liked them or not. It was a very special time.

oldtvman
08-06-2014, 08:24 PM

To answer your question yes although I wasn't old enough to remember when B and W came out, I'm sure going from radio to tv shows beamed into your living room had a very dramatic effect. But the fact that the developement of color was right along with black and white, which led to the classic battle between Rca and Cbs. But somehow when I was small my dad took me to a tv store and there was some show on in color which was one of the most amazing things I had seen. I guess you had to be there.

reeferman
08-06-2014, 09:58 PM
[QUOTE=Jon A.;3111758]Seriously? And did you get that quote from Married With Children?

Busted!
Al Bundy is my idol.
LOL

Tom S
08-06-2014, 10:07 PM
I remember un boxing the new sets in the early 70's. Wow the smell takes me back too of the cabinets and the smell of a new set as it heats up. It was like christmas for me. Setting up those sets was a breeze for me. Sure miss that.

reeferman
08-06-2014, 10:11 PM
[QUOTE=zeno;3111746]In our shop it was the smell of smoke.

The same at Columbia Appliance in the early 70's. One of the guys would smoke a deck of Luckies during working hours. Non filtered, of course.
After hours when the hard stuff came out is when he did some serious smoking.

Tom S
08-06-2014, 10:27 PM
When I fire up my 1960 Color RCA I get that every morning when I watch the news. Love that. Watch all my old shows on it too.

rca2000
08-06-2014, 10:40 PM
When I fire up my 1960 Color RCA I get that every morning when I watch the news. Love that. Watch all my old shows on it too.

I guess the you KNOW what I mean. No ONE ELSE seems to. It is a rather "uinique" smell-- the "RCA SMELL". not sure what causes it either.

ChrisW6ATV
08-07-2014, 12:33 AM
The Sony colour set my Mam (or Mom, vowels move around in regional English English) had a characteristic warmish smell, quite pleasant.
Until you mentioned that, I had forgot it, but I do remember a specific smell from new Sony color TV sets around 1979 when I got my first new one (and first new color TV set of any kind). It was probably a mix of "that transistor radio smell" with the glue smell from the semi-real wood cabinets of their larger tabletop models of the time.

Tubejunke
08-07-2014, 02:56 AM
I miss 8 track tapes.
LOL

How many do you want? I have mostly Rock music. I have a nice component deck as well to go with the tapes. I will add some smoke smell if the price is right!:smoke:

jstout66
08-07-2014, 06:19 AM
Cool thread, I remember unboxing new Chromacolor 2's in the late 70's.
I LOVED the smell of them out of the box, and of course the showroom floor on a Saturday when they were all fired up, all tuned into a Nebraska-Oklahoma game.

Jon A.
08-07-2014, 07:30 AM
The only "RCA smell" I recall is the funny smell I got when I fired up a couple of high-mileage sets. ;) They didn't stay with me long. A beat-up mid 80s XL-100 console and a '77 12" B&W, neither a big loss.
How many do you want? I have mostly Rock music. I have a nice component deck as well to go with the tapes. I will add some smoke smell if the price is right!:smoke:
I'm glad I got those Ford decks when I did, they just keep climbing in price.

dieseljeep
08-07-2014, 08:49 AM
To answer your question yes although I wasn't old enough to remember when B and W came out, I'm sure going from radio to tv shows beamed into your living room had a very dramatic effect. But the fact that the developement of color was right along with black and white, which led to the classic battle between Rca and Cbs. But somehow when I was small my dad took me to a tv store and there was some show on in color which was one of the most amazing things I had seen. I guess you had to be there.

I was ten years old when color TV came out in 1955.
Every time I went to the stores, that sold them, there was never a color program on. Like I said before, limited programing. They would have the set on, but running a B&W program
They had all the B&W sets on and the picture was superior to the color sets.
They also didn't have that old looking small round screen. :thumbsdn:

Sandy G
08-07-2014, 08:59 AM
Yeah, & remember how the B/W programs shown on an early color set were often a weird, purplish sort of color, & had the funky green & blue outlines around 'em ? But down here in Bugtussle, most color sets were sold by appliance dealers/furniture stores, & the guy who set 'em up was likely NOT overly well-trained in PROPERLY aligning one, or setting it up.

etype2
08-07-2014, 09:03 AM
[/IMG]It would be nice to get a picture of a bunch of 21" color sets in a showroom on this thread.

Color TV - like automatic transmission and free long distance, is taken for granted anymore.

What I miss is that experience of looking at all the CRT sets in one place, many places had them on but the three places I worked that sold them did not do that like the department stores.

Again, i miss THAT SMELL To quote one of my favorite bands from the 70s'

"oo-oh that smell, caint cha smell that smell,oo-oh that smell, the smell that surrounds tubes":smoke:

Can't produce a photo, but saved this:http://www.visions4.net/journal/wp-content/uploads/RCA-1967_1.jpg

The ad is from a department store in downtown Milwaukee. There one could see all the brands together, such as RCA, Zenith, Magnavox, Sylanvia, Philco, etc; etc;. It was an exciting time. I researched color sets starting in 1965, driving all over town from store to store to trying to view every possible set, but the best way was in the department stores where one could see many brands side by side for comparison. Ended up buying an RCA 19 inch CTC 19 consolette in 1966 brand new. Very exciting because it was my first color set and the new programming season went 100% color in prime time.

I remember the new set smell. Very distinctive, fresh, new smell. I think it was from the rubber wire insulation. It was also in the new high end audio equipment I purchased.

Most recently, when I found my first Sony KVX 370 Indextron several years ago, it had that same "new smell". I thought "this is going to be special" and it was. :-)

Found this: http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x117/etype2/imagejpg1-2.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/etype2/media/imagejpg1-2.jpg.html) Courtesy: Stock Photo

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x117/etype2/imagejpg1-3.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/etype2/media/imagejpg1-3.jpg.html) Courtesy Glenn Edward Waters

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x117/etype2/imagejpg1-4.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/etype2/media/imagejpg1-4.jpg.html)

These last three photos do not represent the look and feel of my shopping experience.

NoPegs
08-07-2014, 10:42 AM
I've successfully taught my other half to recognize and seek out the "This is legitimately vintage electronic equipment in fair condition." smell, since she and her family go out to odd places where our kind of things can turn up. She's had a few hits so far, but none of them proved worthy of purchasing.

Now I just need to teach her the difference between:

"Old electronics operating mostly normally."
"Old electronics that are mildly unhappy but probably OK for evaluation purposes."
"Old electronics that are extremely upset and are likely to fail very soon."
"Somebody just plugged it in fresh out of Grandma's basement and wrecked it."
"New electronics that have packed it in beyond economical repair."
"Hot resistor."
"Overloaded transformer."
"Over-current condition in PVC jacketed wire."
"Prolapsed Electrolytic."
"Those bloody annoying tantalums!"
"You failed to concentrate on where the operating end of the soldering iron is at all times and it just met some of your long beautiful hair."

I know what a recently failed selenium rectifier smells like, but I would prefer not to actually teach her that one... :tears: I'll let her do that class module as homework. :smoke:

Back to the original subject:

I think the actual smell is some combination of the plasticizers used in phenolic parts, rosin flux, adhesives, and something involved in how they printed manuals back then. Could also be plasticizers in the hook-up wire. I don't think it makes a difference if the unit is wrapped in fake leatherette, painted, or hammer-tone finished, or at least I can't notice a difference.

I should see if there's a mass-spec at a local Educational Edifice that could possibly analyze it. I'd seriously be interested in reproducing it. On the one hand it could be misused by adding it to a not genuine electronic device. On the other I'd be curious what kind of people it would attract when used cologne/perfume style. I may be onto something here. I'll bottle it and name it "Thermionic Musk." Who's with me? :yes:

On a side note, I think I just had a "the honeymoon is over" moment with Chrome. Seriously, neither plasticizer nor phenolic were recognized as legit words? Plasticize and Plasticine are both fine you say? :grumpy:

dieseljeep
08-07-2014, 01:33 PM
[/IMG]

Can't produce a photo, but saved this:http://www.visions4.net/journal/wp-content/uploads/RCA-1967_1.jpg

The ad is from a department store in downtown Milwaukee. There one could see all the brands together, such as RCA, Zenith, Magnavox, Sylanvia, Philco, etc; etc;. It was an exciting time. I researched color sets starting in 1965, driving all over town from store to store to trying to view every possible set, but the best way was in the department stores where one could see many brands side by side for comparison. Ended up buying an RCA 19 inch CTC 19 consolette in 1966 brand new. Very exciting because it was my first color set and the new programming season went 100% color in prime time.

I remember the new set smell. Very distinctive, fresh, new smell. I think it was from the rubber wire insulation. It was also in the new high end audio equipment I purchased.

Most recently, when I found my first Sony KVX 370 Indextron several years ago, it had that same "new smell". I thought "this is going to be special" and it was. :-)

Found this: http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x117/etype2/imagejpg1-2.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/etype2/media/imagejpg1-2.jpg.html) Courtesy: Stock Photo

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x117/etype2/imagejpg1-3.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/etype2/media/imagejpg1-3.jpg.html) Courtesy Glenn Edward Waters

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x117/etype2/imagejpg1-4.jpg (http://s184.photobucket.com/user/etype2/media/imagejpg1-4.jpg.html)

These last three photos do not represent the look and feel of my shopping experience.
That was one of the stores, I was referring to. The downtown Boston Store.
They had the second largest TV and radio department, Schusters, being the largest!
Boston Store's private label was AMC for TV's, radios and appliances. A lot of their electronic products were sourced by Wells Gardner and a few others.
They became a so-called Magnavox "Salon" in the late 60's or so. After that, the only make they sold was Magnavox. :sigh:

Electronic M
08-07-2014, 01:35 PM
I should see if there's a mass-spec at a local Educational Edifice that could possibly analyze it. I'd seriously be interested in reproducing it. On the one hand it could be misused by adding it to a not genuine electronic device. On the other I'd be curious what kind of people it would attract when used cologne/perfume style. I may be onto something here. I'll bottle it and name it "Thermionic Musk." Who's with me? :yes:

Go for it!

reeferman
08-07-2014, 07:58 PM

Thanks for the offer. But without my leisure suit, disco ball, and my original hair color (and a little more of my hair) it just wouldn't be the same. LOL

Sandy G
08-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Look, guys... I'm VERY sorry to have "Thread-Crapped" this one earlier. But, I'm kinda "Partial" to you fellows, I'd HATE to see you go thru what my Mom did... THAT'S why the anti-smoking lecture...

Tubejunke
08-08-2014, 01:09 AM
I'm surprised that nobody noticed in that super cool display of round c.r.t. is something that to me looks way out of place. In the upper right is a set with a rectangular c.r.t. that is reminiscent of a Trinitron, and the set looks like something from the 80s like a Panasonic. Strange! I was going to say that it must be a rectangular 19" black and white, but its a color display.

Did someone Photoshop that image perhaps or am I just way off base?

radiotron
08-08-2014, 06:44 AM
I wasn't around to enjoy that sadly, but im sure a lot of people around my house did, because a few streets over there is kings electronics. They have been there since the late 40s, and they still sell tubes and parts

etype2
08-08-2014, 09:49 AM
I'm surprised that nobody noticed in that super cool display of round c.r.t. is something that to me looks way out of place. In the upper right is a set with a rectangular c.r.t. that is reminiscent of a Trinitron, and the set looks like something from the 80s like a Panasonic. Strange! I was going to say that it must be a rectangular 19" black and white, but its a color display.

Perhaps that display is a recreation. The set does look out of place.

etype2
08-08-2014, 10:07 AM
"That was one of the stores, I was referring to. The downtown Boston Store.
They had the second largest TV and radio department, Schusters, being the largest!
Boston Store's private label was AMC for TV's, radios and appliances. A lot of their electronic products were sourced by Wells Gardner and a few others.
They became a so-called Magnavox "Salon" in the late 60's or so. After that, the only make they sold was Magnavox. "

I remember Schusters. Gimbals department store was big also. Their Southgate store had a particularly large display of color sets. I spent hours and many visits trying to decide. For some reason, the Magnavoxs looked very good. Think there was Popular Science write up saying Magnavox had the most realistic color for 1966.

Username1
08-08-2014, 02:58 PM
So was Wells Gardner the largest tv manufacturer in the US.....?

Thinking about all those different department stores with private
label sets.....

Wow Wells Gardner website has a nice collection of schematics for their
monitors, CRT and Flat panels..... Worth a look and maybe a quick
grab of a few.... If the IC is used in yer tv, it will be somewhat similar
here on that WG set.

stromberg6
08-08-2014, 04:10 PM
Look, guys... I'm VERY sorry to have "Thread-Crapped" this one earlier. But, I'm kinda "Partial" to you fellows, I'd HATE to see you go thru what my Mom did... THAT'S why the anti-smoking lecture...

I understand, Sandy. I quit 25 years ago this coming Thanksgiving and will never smoke ANYTHING again. Sorry that your Mom suffered so. Hope the message is well taken as a suggestion for others to quit cigarettes.
Kevin

NoPegs
08-08-2014, 04:35 PM
I understand, Sandy. I quit 25 years ago this coming Thanksgiving and will never smoke ANYTHING again. Sorry that your Mom suffered so. Hope the message is well taken as a suggestion for others to quit cigarettes.
Kevin

I switched to e-cigs briefly around 2010/2011, then back to nails sometime in late 2011. Then in July 2012 I got a real e-cig, instead of the early generation toys I had the first time around...

I enjoy my nicotine very much thank you, but I'll pass on the cancer and the morning lung-butter. :yes:

Advice for anyone trying to quit: Don't even consider the $20 toys you can buy at gas stations. Get a real one and buy enough cigarettes for ~4 weeks. By the time you quit you'll probably still have a few packs left anyway.(I still have two full packs of my last carton.) I don't advise going cold-turkey from nails to vape though, mix both, and run a slightly higher nicotine liquid for the first month so that your brain associates the e-cig with a bigger chemical reward than the nails and in a few days you'll stop reaching for your fire and the e-cig will never leave your reach. :smoke:

Also, don't buy "cigarette" flavored liquid. It doesn't even come close to what you're used to. To break the habit pick some flavor you like, and run that. Banana is acceptable to most. If your nails are of the menthol variety, you're in luck. Menthol is easy to do and the switch-over isn't nearly as hard. Spearmint is good too. Strawberry is hard to pull off in an e-liquid. Watermelon sounds good but holy cow does it make me :drool: from the flavor. Vanilla is nice, but it tends to gum up the equipment, I don't recommend it until you're familiar with your new e-cig.

stromberg6
08-08-2014, 06:03 PM
Hi NoPegs, It's a real hard battle to get away from "smoke". Happy you found something that works for you.
I still miss a Marlboro Red from a soft pack when sipping good Scotch lol.
Also, nothing came close to a FATIMA plain end back in the day (Turkish weed). Really liked GOOD plain end cigs.
Kevin

rcaman
08-08-2014, 09:23 PM
i had a heart attack 2 days before my 48th birthday 3 bypasses and i will be 54 next Saturday havens smoked a cigarette since 11:30 pm the night i had the heart attack. it didn't really bother me to quit. now it is one of the nastiest smells on earth. and i was not a heavy smoker.

jsowers
08-08-2014, 10:46 PM
When I took a year of TV-Radio servicing at the local Community College about 1981-82, both of my instructors were old TV guys and they both smoked in their office every chance they got. The younger of the two was diagnosed with lung cancer during that year and he was absent a lot. He came back for a little while and was absent again. I could tell he wasn't doing very well. He had lost weight and was coughing a lot.

Sadly, he died from lung cancer before the end of the school year. It was all the other instructor could do to hold back his emotions when he announced the death to the class. It made quite an impression on all of us.

Stromberg6's comment on Marlboro Red reminded me of the pungent smell of my dad's Marlboros in his 1951 Plymouth on the way home, picking me from kindergarten in 1963-64. He eventually quit a year or so later, but that smell will always be something I remember. I normally don't like the smell of cigarettes, but in that car they smelled different.

rca2000
08-08-2014, 11:02 PM
The ONLY smoking i have EVER done--was when I was about 6 years old...and was curious about my dad's pipe and cigar. so, no DOUBT to prevent me from EVER picking up smoking...he lit a pipe...and had ME put it in my mouth. All seemed ok, till he told me to "suck on it". I did that..and about GAGGED !! The SAME thing...with the cigar. That took care of smoking for ME.

I USED to be a LOT more able to tolerate people smoking around me..but the older I get..the MORE it bothers me.

ChrisW6ATV
08-08-2014, 11:39 PM
How many (8-track tapes) do you want? I have mostly Rock music. I have a nice component deck as well to go with the tapes. I will add some smoke smell if the price is right!:smoke:
To go along with the "1970s stereotype" properly, those tapes should be Fleetwood Mac, the Eagles, ELO, and maybe Glen Campbell. :)

Jon A.
08-09-2014, 12:46 AM
i had a heart attack 2 days before my 48th birthday 3 bypasses and i will be 54 next Saturday havens smoked a cigarette since 11:30 pm the night i had the heart attack. it didn't really bother me to quit. now it is one of the nastiest smells on earth. and i was not a heavy smoker.
Mom also hates being around those who are smoking. Didn't take very long for that to happen. Going off the evil weed was rather rocky for her, but now she seems satisfied with the inhalers. She quit because of budget restrictions, which I guess had to happen because she wouldn't have tried to quit otherwise.

WISCOJIM
08-09-2014, 10:30 AM

Here's another view of that same showroom revealing a little more of that mystery set: http://www.masterfile.com/stock-photography/image/846-03165946/1960s-COUPLE-MAN-WOMAN-TALKING-TO-SALESMAN-IN-COLOR-TELEVISION-SET-SALES-DEPARTMENT

Electronic M
08-09-2014, 11:27 AM
Here's another view of that same showroom revealing a little more of that mystery set: http://www.masterfile.com/stock-photography/image/846-03165946/1960s-COUPLE-MAN-WOMAN-TALKING-TO-SALESMAN-IN-COLOR-TELEVISION-SET-SALES-DEPARTMENT

I think it's the table version of the Sears-Toshiba at the bottom of this page.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/21_inch_color.html
One of the earliest mass produced rectangular sets on the market.

Sandy G
08-09-2014, 11:52 AM
We had one of those Sears-Toshiba color consolettes... What a Dawg... It would sometimes "Tear up" before the service guy got out of town good. My dad had the good sense to buy a service contract on it. The Porta-Colors came out, he got one of those, sold the Sears to a guy who had it 10 yrs, never gave a minute of trouble for him.... Weird. We had the Porta-Potty til 1972 or '73, when we got a BIG Trinitron. The Porta-Color was a trouper, it was on 18 hrs a day, 7 days a week, was only in the shop once or 2X. TOUGH little sets !

jr_tech
08-09-2014, 12:29 PM
I think it's the table version of the Sears-Toshiba at the bottom of this page.
http://www.earlytelevision.org/21_inch_color.html
One of the earliest mass produced rectangular sets on the market.

I don't think so... the chassis on that set made use of the entire cabinet, including the speaker area at the bottom... I doubt if it could have been shortened to the size of a "normal looking" table model. I'm guessing that the set was something like the 19" RCA (CTC-19) or similar US-made model. I am not surprised to see a mix of roundies and rectangular "25 inch" and "19 inch" models on the showroom floor, likely the pix is from the mid 60s when the transition from roundies to rectangular sets was occuring.

jr

Bill R
08-09-2014, 07:32 PM
That picture is from a mid 60's sears showroom. Those are sears roundies, but I don't remember who made them. The one on the shelf is the 19" toshiba built set. Nice picture when it worked. Key word is when it worked.

oldtvman
08-10-2014, 01:46 PM

I never thought about smoking, which I've never done, but this was about things long past that were part of the customer experience in the stores much like the same effect you get in a new car showroom.

Sandy G
08-10-2014, 04:20 PM
I never thought about smoking, which I've never done, but this was about things long past that were part of the customer experience in the stores much like the same effect you get in a new car showroom.

THAT smell is sposed to be BAD for you, too... The "Chicken Littles" HAVE to take the fun outta EVERYTHING, don't they ?!? I DO despise the way the curing adhesives, plastics & fabrics put out a "Film" on the windows for the 1st year or 2, though... If you're as Anal as me am, its BIG FUN trying to keep 'em clean, & spotless, w/NO streaks...

dieseljeep
08-10-2014, 08:29 PM
That picture is from a mid 60's sears showroom. Those are sears roundies, but I don't remember who made them. The one on the shelf is the 19" toshiba built set. Nice picture when it worked. Key word is when it worked.
Warwick electronics made most of their color sets. A year later, Sanyo, as well as Toshiba, was making their 18" and smaller color sets. :scratch2: