View Full Version : Coronado

jstout66
07-27-2014, 01:16 PM
I want this! (not sure who made it for them)
It's been in an Antique store for YEARS that I've gone to.
With.. a "not for sale" sign. Damn!

Electronic M
07-27-2014, 04:10 PM
It's got the same style knobs as those Raytheon Porthole sets so if Raytheon made their own chassis then it's likely a rebadged Raytheon.

rld-tv01
07-27-2014, 04:16 PM
I have this 7 inch Coronado which has seen better days. I'm not sure who made them.

47'Plymouth
07-27-2014, 04:34 PM
I have Raythoen built Western Auto Truetone TV 1950
CRT IS A 16KP4,recapped the power supply but needs the rest done

Eric H
07-27-2014, 05:23 PM
I have a Coronado that uses an RCA 721 Chassis.
http://www.vintagetvsets.com/images/48coronado.jpg

The one you posted does appear to have a Raytheon chassis, the knobs are unmistakable.

Coronado was a store brand for Gamble-Skogmo according to Wiki.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamble-Skogmo

decojoe67
07-27-2014, 08:38 PM
The set in question is quite a nice early console! Blonde is great when it's in good condition, which isn't often.
Go ahead and make a reasonable offer for it. With dealers everything has price!

Electronic M
07-27-2014, 11:40 PM
The set in question is quite a nice early console! Blonde is great when it's in good condition, which isn't often.
Go ahead and make a reasonable offer for it. With dealers everything has price!
Yeah. It can be surprising the extent to which waving a mitt full of cash in front of someone can change/scramble their mind.

decojoe67
07-28-2014, 04:30 AM
Yeah. It can be surprising the extent to which waving a mitt full of cash in front of someone can change/scramble their mind.
That's for sure. It's a situation though were the offer has to be enticing. The "not for sale" sign usually means it won't go for a bargain.

jstout66
07-28-2014, 05:46 AM
Yes, and with this seller, it won't.
I've shopped at his store for years. I like 50's stuff, and his shop has the coolest items.
All eye-candy and things I want. He's had a few large pieces that are so overpriced ( I think he does that when he doesn't want to sell them) that have sat on the floor for several years. I think I first saw this TV 8 years ago.

Zenith26kc20
07-28-2014, 08:59 AM
I have a beat up Truetone that is the table model of that set. I got the high voltage up but the vertcal winding of the yoke was eaten by mice. If I can ever find a yoke I may start on it again. It has the same strange tuner that the Raytheons do. 4 IF's and DC restoration. From the looks of that sets condition, it may be quite a find!

MIPS
07-28-2014, 11:03 AM
>runs an antique store.
>has antiques in the store that are not for sale.

I hate these places. Really, what the hell are you keeping it on display if you aren't selling it? It's a complete c*%k tease.

Electronic M
07-28-2014, 01:11 PM
>runs an antique store.
>has antiques in the store that are not for sale.

I hate these places. Really, what the hell are you keeping it on display if you aren't selling it? It's a complete c*%k tease.

Simple. If it's cool and can be seen from the window then it gets customers in the door, and thus is more valuable to keep. A TV repair shop in my home town in the 90's had a 50's set on display in it's window that was NFS, and the reason was that it was advertisement. A number of TV dealers that sold RCA CT-100 sets new kept one on display for decades afterwards to get folks in the door.

One thing that could change his mind if he wants 'it's weight in gold' for it is to offer him something cooler as a trade. If you have a less rare cool looking 50's TV that is restored and working, then offering a trade might work. If a cool working one is more of a crowd draw than a cool busted one or having one he can use is more interesting to him then that can be a point of leverage.

decojoe67
07-28-2014, 09:09 PM
I've been through that same situation so many times. Once, when I was collecting 78RPM records, there was a big pile of them in albums behind the desk of a antiques shop owner for years. He had said they weren't for sale. Finally I got him to consider selling them, and he asked what kind of offer would I make. I said $30 (a LOT in about 1980!). He said he'd be willing to do that, but when I motioned to take a look at them he jumped "Oh no!, it's $30, but you can't look at them". Needless to say I walked away and those records stayed put until the place finally folded. The old man was probably buried with them!

walterbeers
07-29-2014, 04:11 PM
It's just too bad it's not for sale. I'd be glad to recap it for you, and get it going again, provided it's all there. It actually would be a fun project. Wonder if the CRT is good. If he were to sell it though, he probably would want a mint for it.

jstout66
07-29-2014, 05:42 PM
Ya.. he would.
I saw the set working years ago. Supposedly "restored" by the guy that did my Motorola. ( the Motorola came from the same place)
It looked pretty good when I saw it.