View Full Version : new from Toronto, Ontario

spacediver
07-16-2014, 03:02 PM
Glad I found this forum! I'm a CRT lover - have never owned anything but CRTs, though I've worked with LCDs outside of home.

I collect high end sony trinitron tubes, in particular the GDM-FW900, and am always trying to learn more about how these marvelous pieces of technology work.

With the help of another enthusiast, I'm working on a guide for service adjustments for the trinitron tubes - I'm working on the white point balance part of the guide. Should be done soon and will share it on these forums in case anyone here happens to benefit.

While I've learned a great deal about colorimetry and the like, I have barely any technical know how when it comes to things like soldering, electronics, or advanced tube adjustments involving convergence, purity, etc., and am hoping to learn as much as I can here :)

Electronic M
07-16-2014, 05:22 PM
Welcome.

Trinitrons are newer than what I'm into (though I would not pass up a first gen set), but if you want to learn how to preform the convergence, purity, etc procedures for a deltagun tube I can explain them to you.

spacediver
07-16-2014, 05:52 PM
very cool, would the procedures apply to an aperture grille display like the trinitrons?

Electronic M
07-16-2014, 06:37 PM
Not really. They were the technology that the Trinitrons and other inline gun tubes (copycats) supplanted.

spacediver
07-16-2014, 08:20 PM
gotcha, btw, looked through your wanted list - you might find something here (http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1748813) (though not positive).

Sandy G
07-16-2014, 10:04 PM
Welcome ! Only been to Toronto once, about 20 yrs ago, end of the summer. We were at a convention called by the company I worked for, me & this other boy were at a motel near the airport, one night we set out walking to find a nice restaurant... Must have walked 2-3 miles thru factories, business parks, etc, NEVER did find a nice place to eat. Had a very pleasant walk, though-it was Aug/early Sept, & you guys had already "Cooled Off"... Down here, it was still SWELTERING..

spacediver
07-16-2014, 10:30 PM
ah right, bad idea trying to find livelihood near the airport :)

downtown, especially around harbord village is where you want to be!

ronl
07-18-2014, 07:50 AM
Welcome fellow Canadian!-i'm new here too.
RonL