View Full Version : Sony 5-307UW portable

AgentWinchester
10-31-2004, 04:38 PM
Not too vintage, but i'm pretty sure it's from the 60's. I got it from a neigbor, who got it from a neighbor, and i don't have a Power cable. Does anybody have the pinout for the connector or a source for a replacement cable? once i get it working, i'll remove all the gold enamel that my neighbors coated the front with :worried:

BTW, it has an interesting history. as i understand it, my other neigbor's father won this for selling quite a few cars back in the 60's or 70's

Kamakiri
11-01-2004, 06:05 AM
Can you post a pic of the back connector? I may have a spare cable for you.

AgentWinchester
11-01-2004, 03:00 PM
On the left is the best picture i can get of the connector. On the right is what the back label reads. I should have tried something with that, but the last time i messed with AC mains connectors, the results werren't pretty.

maxm
11-01-2004, 04:47 PM
I had the same problem on a similar set and was able to make up a replacement plug using little insulated solderless connectors that you can but at the hardware sotre. They are receiving connectors made to go along with pins that you can use to connect two wires together. (See the picture if you have no idea what I am talking about... :headscrat: ) Turns out that if you smoosh the plug a little, it will fit prefectally onto the pins in the power socket. Since they are insulated, it makes a very safe connection.

Sandy G
11-01-2004, 06:24 PM
Does that l'il guy have UHF on it? Then it's prolly '65 or so. I had one like it-Santa Claus brought it in Christmas '62. It lasted til '69, & the CRT died. It also had the tuner fixed a couple times, went swimming in the commode another, generally stood up well to the ministrations of a 5-12 yr old kid. I remember Sony had that funky plug on a lot of their stuff-they may still sell 'em. They DO have a pretty good selection of parts for their older stuff. -Sandy G.

AgentWinchester
11-01-2004, 06:45 PM
Unfortunately my arsemonkey neighbors put a sloppy coating of gold enamel all over the front. i have some of the same stuff, so if i can't remove it, i'll touch it up.

Unfortunately, the antenna is broke, and the UHF knob doesn't move the indicator. maybe i'll open it up and check the tuning string.....

Sandy G
11-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Those l'il guys show up on You-Know-Where all the time, & usually not a lot of money...I think they made that model from '62 til like '67 or so & made a blue jillion of 'em, so you might luck up & get another for parts & the cord. Lotsa times they also have the cute-as-a-bug's-ear case w/em, too. They were fairly expensive when new-I think my old man paid about $300 for the one I got for Xmas, but they were kinda the XboX/MP3-must-have-gizmo of their day. Seems like JFK and/or Jackie had one, & believe it or nutz, the Kennedys were almost like rock stars back then-and what they had, EVERYBODY else had to have one, too.-Sandy G.