View Full Version : 5" portable

07-07-2014, 07:01 PM
Okay, I have one of those little TVs from about a dozen years ago. To connect an outside antenna it had a small adapter that had antenna screws on one side and a small, headphone like plug on the other.

Anyone have one that you can spare?


Sandy G
07-07-2014, 08:26 PM
I remember those little guys.. You could get 'em as check-out aisle hangers for $10, $5 even towards the end.. If it worked when you got it home, you were LUCKY... The ones down here also had an AM/FM radio built in, that MIGHT pick the local stations... Pretty SAD, the electronics were on a tiny board that likely was NOT repairable... I'm old enuf to remember the magnificent 5" Sony 5-303 series, & how the guts of THEM took up the ENTIRE cabinet.. You might check at yr local Radio Shack, they MAY have a couple that escaped being Shit-Canned..

Jon A.
07-07-2014, 09:00 PM
I can still get 'em new at what used to be Radio Shack here. Well, I got them several months ago but I don't see why they would have pulled them from their stock since then.

Wait, I just thought, I saw a TV with one of those signal jacks mentioned here before. Thought you were talking about an ordinary matching transformer before I clued in on the headphone plug part.

07-09-2014, 06:07 PM
My search continues. Went to local RS and the when I described what I needed, the clerks head tilted almost like Nipper listening to his masters voice.

I could see the question mark above the clerk's head.

Jon A.
07-09-2014, 06:57 PM
You might check at yr local Radio Shack, they MAY have a couple that escaped being Shit-Canned..
That's what I'm doing to just about everything in my place that's hecho en chine. The microwave will likely be my next victim; I still need to clean and set up my circa '80 Kenmore. It's missing two of its rubber feet but I'll just put it on blocks for now.

Anyway, Tim, perhaps you could post the model of the TV and a picture of the jack panel with the connector in question. I'm sure I saw a portable TV with that type of connection mentioned here before, I just can't remember what brand it was.

07-09-2014, 07:12 PM

Here is a link to the same TV on the bay.

07-09-2014, 07:26 PM
I'm wondering if a mono plug would work? Solder an RF connector to the plug. Hmm. Any ideas??

Jon A.
07-09-2014, 07:42 PM
You could do that. However, you can get an adapter for a fiver plus shipping.

07-09-2014, 07:50 PM
Thank you Jon! I just bought it.

Jon A.
07-09-2014, 08:08 PM
No problem, have fun.

07-10-2014, 09:53 AM
Yeah.....I have a whole collection of those tiny little "last gasp" sets.....You want to find THIS thing:

Sandy G
07-10-2014, 08:34 PM
The LAST bunch of these things I got, I just remembered that I got 'em at the local Super Wally-World..

Jon A.
07-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Never noticed a 300-75 ohm balun with a 1/8" mono plug for sale locally before. I had to make sure it was actually a matching transformer and not merely a straight-thru adapter.

07-12-2014, 06:45 PM
Okay, got my adapter today (thanks Jon for finding it on ebay) and hooked up the TV. Works great. Later, I remembered that I had another 5" set around. Looked for it, found it and guess what was plugged in the back of it?

At least each set has one now.

Jon A.
07-12-2014, 08:26 PM
Bummer. Well, at least these things are uncommon enough to warrant picking up an extra. Also, it was cheap enough. I do that with the less-common replacement parts if they're cheap enough and the listing shows that the seller has more than one. There's a bulk pack of those adapters in another listing, at least there was when I looked.