View Full Version : 1948 Andrea VK12 Should I try to fix it or part it out

walterbeers
06-20-2014, 08:55 PM
Picked this up in Lincoln NE. Thought it would be a great project to restore, but after getting it apart, I wonder. After pulling the chassis and CRT, the chassis is very rusty, along with the RF and IF cans. The 12 inch CRT checks real good, although some of the aquadag coating has flaked off. Apparently the set has gotten wet many times over the years. Speaker is trash, and the mounting material around the CRT is a sticky, crumbly mess. Set is very dirty, and has all the original caps, including the electrolytic cans. All the tubes are there though. Cabinet is scratched up, but some stain and a new coat of varnish it should make it look fairly decent. It is also missing the back and 2 wooden knobs. Dial cord is also broken. I know Andrea TVs are sort of rare, but I'm afraid it might just be too far gone. Should I try to start putting money into it (for caps, coils, parts, tubes, etc) with the hope that I can get it going, or part it out. Maybe someone could at least use the CRT. What do you guys think, keep it or part it out? See pictures attached.

Tom Albrecht
06-20-2014, 09:44 PM
That set looks restorable. If you're not sure you want to do it yourself, you could probably sell it to someone here for a small profit, since you got a pretty good deal on it and its CRT tests good. Shipping will be pricey and packing not so easy, but could work out well.

John Marinello
06-20-2014, 09:44 PM
Restore it.

bandersen
06-20-2014, 10:46 PM
Absolutely. Don't let a little rust stop you. I'm in the process of restoring this nasty Admiral set right now and will post details of how I cleaned it up soon. Yours looks to be in very good, original condition under the hood.

https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7370/10239779846_bbdf8a6860_z.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/gARxNo)

kramden66
06-21-2014, 01:13 AM
restore it , i was thinking i'd see worse in the photos after reading your description , the coils might still be ok , just clean up the rust as best as possible , doesn't need to be 100%

M3-SRT8
06-21-2014, 02:29 AM
I would have passed on it.

What's the CRT in the set?:smoke:

walterbeers
06-21-2014, 08:03 AM
The Sams says the tube is a 12QP4. Can't find any number on CRT The base of the tube had a piece cracked off, but the base in general is OK. At least the tube wasn't necked. I glued it back, and filled in the crack, but that's where I believe the CRT number was suppose to be at. Tube tests 9 on my Beltron CRT checker, and stays there at 5 volts.

mikeh
06-21-2014, 10:37 AM
I would restore that TV, I have wanted that model for years! Uncommon TV to find east of the Mississippi.
Mike

rld-tv01
06-21-2014, 10:41 AM
I think the most valuable unobtainable piece is the dial glass. A few years back there was a discussion thread on producing artwork and getting a repro glass made for this set. It seems the console version of this set always has the glass broken?

Tim
06-21-2014, 11:36 AM
I would say definitely restore it. The cabinet looks pretty decent and rust is not a huge obstacle. Knobs do show up. However, if you do decide to part it out, I could use the crt glass and mask as well as the dial glass.

TV-collector
06-21-2014, 12:25 PM
Restore it, or better sell it to me.:naughty:
I tried to buy one (console :yippy:) from New York, but the female
seller didn`t answer my emails.:butt2:
Because there was no cooperation I didn`t klick on
it.:rant:
It is always a question how rare a set is, sometimes
you have to restore a box of dirty junk.:cry:
Last time I got some sets which last in a wet cellar since 1972,
sometimes in the water.
Because there are now only about 2-3 others are known
I have to do an expensive job.
The cabin needs to be repaired and partly "reconstructed".:yes::no:

TV-collector :stupid:

Phil Nelson
06-21-2014, 12:59 PM
It would be a shame to part out this scarce and restorable TV. Don't be scared of surface rust. Naval Jelly is good for removing that.

If you don't want to restore it, sell it to someone who will.

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Reece
06-21-2014, 08:37 PM
Certainly restorable and without too much trouble. And the finish is lacquer, it was never varnish.

walterbeers
06-21-2014, 10:51 PM
If somebody will give me $100 for it, and either drive to Omaha, Ne to get it, or find somebody going though Omaha to pick it up for you, or pay for the shipping, (Which won't be cheap) I'll sell it as is. Everything is there except the back and 2 knobs, which could be found. CRT checks good! Let me know Get a hold of me on VK

TV-collector
06-22-2014, 04:04 AM
I like to buy it!
How far are you away from the next international airport?
I like it, too, because I want a set with a FM radio up to 108 MC,
most of our tube radios (50s) ended up at 100-102 MC.
Is it with FM?
As far you are able to crate and/or deliver to the shipping company
I should pay this extra.
Pre-Payment by Western Union.

Is this O.K. to you?

Happy Sunday,

TV-collector :stupid:

P.S. The reason for the partly rust is that it was a home of mice.
The pre-owner removed the family with their bedroom.

mikeh
10-12-2014, 12:28 PM
Hi,
Just want to say thank you to Walter for meeting me in North Plisatte in July. I don't get a lot of time devote to this hobby so progress is slow the TV is now functional. Had to replace the flocking behind the dial and stabilize the rust. Now on to the cabinet refinishing. Thanks again Walter for not parting this TV out this is one that I have wanted for years. 184573

Mike

mikeh
10-12-2014, 12:33 PM
Sorry I it should have been North Platte Nebraska also a picture of the chassis with some rust stabilization, Thanks again Walter!
Mike

mikeh
11-02-2014, 11:35 AM
Hi,
Finally finished the Cabinet my first use of grain filler. The only thing unfinished is the dial glass background paint, some one in the past removed the brown background paint, I was not sure on what type to use so I left unpainted for now. Thanks again Walter! I have wanted one of these tv's for a while.

Mike

IsthmusTV
11-02-2014, 02:44 PM
Nice job, Mike!
I'm in the process of restoring a blond version of the same set.
http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=261643
The brown background paint on the dial glass is flaking off on mine. I think I will also leave it alone for now. I wonder if that's a common problem with these :scratch2:

-Clark

Eric H
11-02-2014, 03:13 PM
Super job on that cabinet.

I have one too, not sure if it's the earlier or later version but the cabinet is different, I think I like yours better.

It was in rough shape too but it was worth the effort to fix it, it performs very well.

Video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iLJpsIsRgjc

mikeh
11-02-2014, 04:29 PM
Thanks for the nice comments,
the performance is classic Dumont real similar to RA103. Considering the damp rusty existence it had the performance is really goody even the AM and FM radio is pretty good.
Mike

Phil Nelson
11-02-2014, 06:12 PM
Nice job. The linearity looks good in that screen shot.

Re the dial, while you are thinking about paint, perhaps you could temporarily tape a piece of brown paper behind it?

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

IsthmusTV
11-03-2014, 11:51 AM
Re the dial, while you are thinking about paint, perhaps you could temporarily tape a piece of brown paper behind it?

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios

I think that's I'm going to try with mine. That way I won't have to try to remove the rest of the flaking paint.