View Full Version : Vintage TV Hoard

StellarTV
06-14-2014, 02:07 AM
What a day! Got a line on the estate of a deceased collector coming up for sale locally. Some of you might remember my post on here in remembrance of a Mr. Vann of Sacramento; this was his estate. Visiting his house years ago I remember how he was what one might consider to be a TV hoarder. Narrow walkways through all the TVs in the living room and bedrooms overflowing with them. I had made an attempt to get in touch with the family by leaving a note on the door of the house to no avail.

An ad pops up on Craigslist Thursday "VINTAGE ELECTRONICS SALE!" Wow! I check it out and immediately recognize the contents as that of Mr. Vann's.

If anyone here has ever been to a proper estate sale (and I never have, this was my first time and I had a 'coach' with me) then you know what a stampede it can be when the gates open. I had about 30 tags with my initials ripped off and taped to my left arm ready to go, 4th in line. Doors open, fortunately everybody ran over to the audio equipment! I tagged about 20 electrostatic TV sets, an RCA projection and a Spartan mirror-lid, as well as a couple CRTs. :) My friend and I loaded up the trailer full of TVs and still have to go back tomorrow to look through a storage unit, which has even more TVs, CRTs, and camera tubes. Should be interesting.

Here's the fun:

https://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_14741.jpg?w=650

https://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_14761.jpg?w=650

https://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_14791.jpg?w=650

https://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_1482.png?w=650

Very exciting, and my head's still spinning. Nobody else there was interested in the TVs, though there was another buyer who ended up making out with a nice moderne Zenith Porthole and a petite 10" Admiral bakelite floor model.

Now, what to do with them? I don't know yet, but they didn't need to end up in the recycling truck.

Kamakiri
06-14-2014, 06:12 AM
OH......MY.......GOD!!!!!

:eek:

WOWOWOWOOWOWOWOWOOWOWOWOOWOWOWWOWOWW!!!!!!

Tom Albrecht
06-14-2014, 08:00 AM
Outstanding! You were well prepared, and had he right vehicle, to save a lot of beautiful sets! Once you've figured out which ones you don't want to keep, maybe some of us local CHRS members can purchase some from you.

baursam
06-14-2014, 08:08 AM
Holy Crap!!!! You hit the motherlode :-) ��with that one.

Sandy G
06-14-2014, 08:18 AM
The Hell-O Fuzzy... Talk about "The Motherlode"...

hi_volt
06-14-2014, 08:19 AM
WOW! Nice score. If that happened around here, I'd be forced into renting a storage space. Any roundie color sets in the mix?

DaveWM
06-14-2014, 08:39 AM
Nice save, good job. :thmbsp:

mstaton
06-14-2014, 10:01 AM
I see a couple of Philco Safari's. If any are for parts, I'd be very interested

snelson903
06-14-2014, 11:37 AM
that would be nice to be in my area. i would probley have to build another outbuilding, im packed as it is now.

compucat
06-14-2014, 11:54 AM
I would love to have one of those Admiral wooden electrostatic sets.

Electronic M
06-14-2014, 01:29 PM

I could use knobs for my brown one...

decojoe67
06-14-2014, 05:49 PM
Sales like that can happen once in a lifetime! Lucky you!!
They really look like prime vintage TV's. I had a situation like that happen before I was serious collector. A garage full of many vintage TV's and radios including an AK breadboard, a mint AK 82 cathedral, and an NOS teal Emerson Vanguard transistor mint it's original opened box - all priced to sell. I was not yet willing to spend much on the hobby and let it all slip through my hands!! :(

Sandy G
06-14-2014, 06:55 PM

I've never seen one "In Poison". The Bakelite models must have been cheaper, maybe that's why you rarely see the wooden ones today.

jr_tech
06-14-2014, 07:21 PM
In the last picture in the OP; could somebody be so kind as to identify the sloping top set sitting on a VT-71, above and right of two 3" Pilots, at the right side of the picture?
jr

decojoe67
06-14-2014, 07:28 PM
In the last picture in the OP; could somebody be so kind as to identify the sloping top set sitting on a VT-71, above and right of two 3" Pilots, at the right side of the picture?
jr
That one had me guessing too. At first I thought of a 7" Raytheon Belmont, but that's not it. I'm assuming it's some kind of 10" set. I don't know of any other 7" that has that cabinet.
Joe

Eric H
06-14-2014, 08:37 PM
That's an Emerson 571 10" http://www.vintagetvsets.com/emerson571.htm

StellarTV
06-14-2014, 08:53 PM
Day 2 of the actual estate sale, and we still haven't gotten to the last of the storage unit! Lots of CRTs in this lot, and I understand there are more. Snapped some more photos before the barn doors were actually opened and the mad rush began. I ran right over to the boxed CRTs, my friends tagged all of the TVs. We ended up missing out on the Teletone wooden cabinet and the Locomotive next to it, which had a huge hole in the side and a damaged top, but which did end up in good hands with another fellow VK member. :)

http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_1483.jpg?w=650
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_1485.jpg?w=650
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_1486.jpg?w=650
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_14901.jpg?w=650
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_14891.jpg?w=650
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_14921.jpg?w=650
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_14961.jpg?w=650

Tom Albrecht
06-14-2014, 09:00 PM
Pretty incredible! Can't wait to see what Day 3 produces.

StellarTV
06-14-2014, 09:06 PM
Outstanding! You were well prepared, and had he right vehicle, to save a lot of beautiful sets! Once you've figured out which ones you don't want to keep, maybe some of us local CHRS members can purchase some from you.

Hey Tom, definitely. Right now there are so many sets in my possession which I have not cataloged yet I'm having trouble even remembering what all is there. I'm going to definitely make some complete sets available, and part out some of the rougher ones. I know there are going to be a handful of 7JP4s after all's said and done. Duplicates will either be combined to make good complete sets or parted out of too far gone, and there are definitely a few of the latter.

WOW! Nice score. If that happened around here, I'd be forced into renting a storage space. Any roundie color sets in the mix?

No color sets at all. I remember asking him about that before he died and he'd said that he got rid of his color TVs years ago.

Ok, I'll see what we end up with. One of them is missing it's cover and might end up as a parts set.

PM me. Couple of nice ones.

I could use knobs for my brown one...

If you have a pic I'll see what I end up getting. Like I mentioned, some of these sets with rotten cabinets or bad tolex will end up as parts units.

Sandy G
06-14-2014, 09:21 PM
Ah HATE Yew !.. -Yosemite Sam, Esq. (grin)

ChrisW6ATV
06-15-2014, 12:18 AM
Very nice find, Justin!

Phil Nelson
06-15-2014, 12:41 AM
Wow, what fun. I think I have had dreams like that!

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

cwmoser
06-15-2014, 05:54 AM
Wow I'm jealous. Great score. Glad to see they will go to a good home instead of the dump.

Don't tell me that they were priced with fire sale prices or I would be green with envy :-)

Carl

tvdude1
06-15-2014, 09:04 AM
The 7 inch Ratheon pretty rare.

decojoe67
06-15-2014, 10:24 AM
The 7 inch Ratheon pretty rare.

Did you spot a 7" Raytheon? I didn't.
If the cloth front one with the continuous tuner was there I would've just took that and walked off with a smile!

legenbass77
06-15-2014, 10:42 AM
Awesome score! I'd certainly be interested in a strong 7JP4 for my Admiral 19A11.

jr_tech
06-15-2014, 11:10 AM
Did you spot a 7" Raytheon? I didn't.
If the cloth front one with the continuous tuner was there I would've just took that and walked off with a smile!

Suitcase style... last pix on the OP between the Airline and Silvertone? suitcase sets, with a Pilot 3" (upside down) on top of it.

jr

decojoe67
06-15-2014, 08:31 PM
Suitcase style... last pix on the OP between the Airline and Silvertone? suitcase sets, with a Pilot 3" (upside down) on top of it.

jr
Oh yes. That is probably one of the least often seen 7" cloth covered portables. I just noticed in one pic, under the 7" Philco, is what appears to be a 7" Automatic Radio TV. It looks like it may be rough, but that just may be the rarest set there. That one restored can bring a sizable sum. It's about as rare as some pre-wars.
Joe

47'Plymouth
06-16-2014, 03:01 PM
Need a new 17BP4 does the lot have one
I need for a Hallicafters table set
Need a new 21E OR FP4A CRT for a Bendix console model
HM21CU

Username1
06-16-2014, 05:35 PM

I would like a sale like that near me please........

Sandy G
06-16-2014, 06:05 PM

No Kiddin'...

StellarTV
06-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Wow I'm jealous. Great score. Glad to see they will go to a good home instead of the dump.

Don't tell me that they were priced with fire sale prices or I would be green with envy :-)

Carl

Well, there was definitely some leniency in pricing due to the fact that we were taking pretty much everything.

Awesome score! I'd certainly be interested in a strong 7JP4 for my Admiral 19A11.

I'll have a bunch of 7JP4s available, I already have some tested and set aside so there ought to be plenty to go around. PM me.

Oh yes. That is probably one of the least often seen 7" cloth covered portables. I just noticed in one pic, under the 7" Philco, is what appears to be a 7" Automatic Radio TV. It looks like it may be rough, but that just may be the rarest set there. That one restored can bring a sizable sum. It's about as rare as some pre-wars.
Joe

That one set is one I don't know a lot about, but definitely caught my eye even from the sidewalk. I love it. It's complete except for one of the sides which had gotten wet and was pretty much missing. I've already dismantled it and prepped it for my cabinet guy to restore. :)

Need a new 17BP4 does the lot have one
I need for a Hallicafters table set
Need a new 21E OR FP4A CRT for a Bendix console model
HM21CU

I'll keep my eyes open, largest CRT in the lot so far is a 16WP4... but I'll be checking out more CRTs on Wednesday.

Anything's possible! :)

cwmoser
06-17-2014, 06:15 AM
Justin, if you find a 16EP4 or 16AP4 or 19AP4 CRT that you want to part with, let me know.

Thanks

Carl

Kevin Kuehn
06-17-2014, 02:32 PM
Oh my goodness!
I think I'd have an anxiety attack and it would all be over. :D

Electronic M
06-17-2014, 07:45 PM
If you have a pic I'll see what I end up getting. Like I mentioned, some of these sets with rotten cabinets or bad tolex will end up as parts units.

Aside from the tuning knob, and the time knob on the bottom of the right side (both of which I could use), all the knobs on a Philco Safari are identical. What I'm looking for is the tuning knob, the time knob, three of the side adjustment knobs and the screen hood for a brown Philco Safari.

Boobtubeman
06-17-2014, 11:45 PM
HOLY S@@T!!!!

The week my gal has the van!! and im not too far away....

Looks like ebay blew up over there... :D

Any Motos like the one in my avatar?? Is the Dumont RA 103 gone???

SR

StellarTV
06-18-2014, 07:30 PM
Final day! The entire rear of the storage unit was solid CRTs and I was able to take 80% of them. Mostly 7JP4, 10BP4, and 12LP4s, but I'll be going back Monday to pick up the larger boxes which wouldn't fit in the Jeep.

http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_15081.jpg?w=800
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_15091.jpg?w=800
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_15111.jpg?w=800
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/06/img_1512.jpg?w=800

Most unusual are these Image Orthicons. I have no idea of their usefulness, but there sure are a lot of them!

Also not pictured, is a 7" "Meck" TV. I've never heard of it.

StellarTV
06-18-2014, 07:34 PM
Justin, if you find a 16EP4 or 16AP4 or 19AP4 CRT that you want to part with, let me know.

Thanks

Carl

Hey Carl, I haven't come across any of those yet, but as I mentioned in the above post I still have to go back for some larger CRT boxes whose contents are unknown.

Aside from the tuning knob, and the time knob on the bottom of the right side (both of which I could use), all the knobs on a Philco Safari are identical. What I'm looking for is the tuning knob, the time knob, three of the side adjustment knobs and the screen hood for a brown Philco Safari.

Ok, it'll be a few days before I can get to the Safaris, but one I know is going to be relegated to parts so I'll check on it.

HOLY S@@T!!!!

The week my gal has the van!! and im not too far away....

Looks like ebay blew up over there... :D

Any Motos like the one in my avatar?? Is the Dumont RA 103 gone???

SR

Hey, you should come visit the shop if you have some time, always cool to hang out and talk vintage electronics. :) The RA-103 is available. There's a scratch on the front but beyond that it's in great shape.

cwmoser
06-18-2014, 07:35 PM
Wow. This is the opportunity of a lifetime.
Clean it out - don't feel you have too much and let some
good stuff go to the dump.

Carl

kramden66
06-18-2014, 08:54 PM
if you don't need the 16WP4 i might need one , also if there are any you think are too far gone put pics up before parting them or tossing , you never know someone might want to restore it.

mstaton
06-18-2014, 08:57 PM
Love the wagoneer! Most I see are usually rust buckets

azbigsam
06-18-2014, 09:42 PM
I see a 7" Firestone set there. I'm very interested in it if you consider selling it.

egrand
06-18-2014, 10:12 PM
Wow! Just, Wow!

That must be a once in a lifetime opportunity and I'm glad you grabbed so much. Hope you got room!

Meck TV's must really be rare on the West Coast. They were made in Indiana and aren't very common even around here.

Jon F
06-18-2014, 11:58 PM
If you decide to sell any of the 10BP4's I'd be interested in one for my 721TS:thmbsp:

StellarTV
06-19-2014, 12:02 AM
Wow. This is the opportunity of a lifetime.
Clean it out - don't feel you have too much and let some
good stuff go to the dump.

Carl

I'm definitely not going to leave anything behind. It's worth the extra effort and mileage. :)

if you don't need the 16WP4 i might need one , also if there are any you think are too far gone put pics up before parting them or tossing , you never know someone might want to restore it.

No other plans for that CRT, I'll get in touch with you after I'm able to verify it's a good one.

Love the wagoneer! Most I see are usually rust buckets

Thanks. It took me a while to find one that was solid and original... and you're right, many of them are rustbuckets, even up into the 80s!

I see a 7" Firestone set there. I'm very interested in it if you consider selling it.

It's for sale, open to an offer via PM. Some of these sets I'm keeping for my own collection but other sets and CRTs will have to go to recover the investment.

If you decide to sell any of the 10BP4's I'd be interested in one for my 721TS

Just posted an ad in the classifieds, have several 10BP4s for sale. :)

kramden66
06-19-2014, 10:14 AM
i forgot to mention that if you happen to come up with any spare channel and fine tuning knobs for a 7 inch admiral let me know

mike

StellarTV
06-19-2014, 12:18 PM
i forgot to mention that if you happen to come up with any spare channel and fine tuning knobs for a 7 inch admiral let me know

mike

I have a 7" Bakelite admiral with the chinese grille that is broken out around the chassis bolts near the back on the bottom. Not sure which way to go with this one since I don't have the missing pieces. :(

bars&tone
06-21-2014, 07:13 PM
INCREDIBLE!!!! Congratulations!!!! Thanks for sharing the photos! I'm sure stories of this find will be retold for generations. :thmbsp:

Carmine
06-21-2014, 09:49 PM
It's a shame that a guy leaves all that stuff behind with no "plan". Just think what good he could have done by donating that stuff to the TV history museum. The money could easily have finished their CRT rebuild room.

kramden66
06-22-2014, 12:41 AM
i have a checkerboard admiral but could use the fine tuning and channel knob , do you have a picture of this Chinese damaged set ? curious to what the damage looks like.
mike

TV-collector
06-22-2014, 03:13 AM
I should feel like Alice in wonderland!°:banana:
I check if I could use some ortikons as far you like to sell them.
I checked one of mine and it is called "8093E"
Have to say, that I am not familar with them.:no:
Will check more out.

Do you saw this:
-Motorola VT73 / 7" portable: floor panel and back
-Admiral bakelit 7": back
-7" crt hose (shield against x-rays)
-knobs (channel selector and one of the front knobs) for Westinghouse H 196
-top antenna adjuster knob for Zenith porthole

It will be great if you could help me out!:thmbsp:

I am sure that this will be one of the best days of your life to trump around
on this yard with all the TVs!:yes:

TV-collector:stupid:

StellarTV
06-23-2014, 06:55 PM
I picked up the last few CRTs and a couple of 'hidden' TV sets from the storage unit this morning. Found another Alligator skin Raytheon portable which is missing all the knobs and fabric is ripped on one side, a Silvertone 12" pushbutton set, a Crosley 10" with the continuous tuner on the left hand side. Best CRTs were in the last load, too! NOS Dumont 12QP4 Teletron, a 10FP4, and a couple more 7JP4s and 10BP4s.

Now comes the long sorting and cataloging process. :yes:

i have a checkerboard admiral but could use the fine tuning and channel knob , do you have a picture of this Chinese damaged set ? curious to what the damage looks like.
mike

Just looked at it again and it's better than I remembered it. It's cracked from the rear chassis bolt holes forward, not extending to the side and no missing pieces. I can definitely fix that. :)

I should feel like Alice in wonderland!°:banana:
I check if I could use some ortikons as far you like to sell them.
I checked one of mine and it is called "8093E"
Have to say, that I am not familar with them.:no:
Will check more out.

Do you saw this:
-Motorola VT73 / 7" portable: floor panel and back
-Admiral bakelit 7": back
-7" crt hose (shield against x-rays)
-knobs (channel selector and one of the front knobs) for Westinghouse H 196
-top antenna adjuster knob for Zenith porthole

It will be great if you could help me out!:thmbsp:

I am sure that this will be one of the best days of your life to trump around
on this yard with all the TVs!:yes:

TV-collector:stupid:

Don't have any of those parts except for the 7JP4 x ray shield. You can have it for the postage. :)

Boobtubeman
06-23-2014, 07:47 PM
> Some of these sets I'm keeping for my own collection but other sets and CRTs will have to go to recover the investment.

And i know where the RA-103 is at this moment :D

SR

StellarTV
06-23-2014, 07:53 PM
> Some of these sets I'm keeping for my own collection but other sets and CRTs will have to go to recover the investment.

And i know where the RA-103 is at this moment :D

SR

:thmbsp:

Tom Albrecht
07-03-2014, 12:34 AM
While picking up a different set I bought from Justin's "hoard," this Andrea T-VK12 caught my eye. It's a set I've been interested in acquiring some day, so I picked up this one from him as well.

It came without a picture tube, and two knobs are missing (focus and radio tuning). It appeared to have no service work done on it previously, except for some updated tubes. Most tubes were dated April 1949, but there were a number from 1952. There was evidence of one or two blown electrolytics, and a dead 5U4 rectifier. With a full recap, a new 5U4 and a few other weak tubes replaced, a good squirt of DeOxit into the Inductuner, and some mechanical lubrication of both the radio and TV tuners, it came to life very nicely. Here I'm subbing a 12JP4 in place of the missing 12QP4 CRT.

No alignment touch up was necessary -- not even for the sound.

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=183427&stc=1&d=1404365529

There's a bit of herringbone interference in the above picture from my nearby DTV converter box. I'll take a nicer picture sometime in the future and post it -- perhaps when the set is all done.

The cabinet is pretty decent, and will look very good after refinishing sometime in the near future.

I like the dial -- you push the tune control knob inward to momentarily light the dial when it is operating in TV mode. I guess they didn't want the dial competing with the picture in terms of lighted stuff on the front of the set. In radio mode, the dial lights up continuously.

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=183428&stc=1&d=1404365529

Anyone have two spare knobs for this model? The function is printed on each knob individually, but I'd be happy with any matching knobs, even if they don't have the correct functions printed on them.

StellarTV
07-05-2014, 03:56 PM
Nice work Tom! It'll be incredible with that NOS 12QP4 in it. ;)

Tubejunke
07-05-2014, 04:48 PM
. Doors open, fortunately everybody ran over to the audio equipment!

Now, what to do with them? I don't know yet, but they didn't need to end up in the recycling truck.

I will never understand the very limited interest in vintage television. It's the one thing that really changed the way we live in a big way, but many "antique" or "collectible" people give them little to no attention. Maybe it's because so many no longer work and people don't want something that doesn't do what it was meant to do. I guess I could understand that, but still so many end up in the scrap heap and never have the chance to make it to someone like some of us who have the skills to make them work.

Really, if it hadn't been for StellarTV buying the bulk, the bulk would have ended up in the landfill I think. It's really a shame, but thank goodness this came out the way it did. Great find and thanks for helping out others who need parts or whatnot.

Eric H
07-06-2014, 12:10 PM
I've deleted everything related to race and politics from this thread in the hope that it will get back on topic.

TV-collector
07-06-2014, 04:23 PM
@ Andrea Television
I like the scale, is it the first combo showing a radio scale
and a TV channels scale on one plate?
In the 50s combos were common in some northern european countries.
(Denmark, Austria, Belgium, Germany)
They had TVs and the radios mounted on one chassis.
So its logical that the scales showing radio bands and TV channels.
Example:
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs% 2FNzY4WDEwMjQ%253D%2Fz%2F~aMAAMXQydtTNUev%2F%2524_ 20.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fkleinanzeigen.ebay.de%2Fanz eigen%2Fs-anzeige%2Fgraetz-kurfuerst-antiker-tv-schrank-mit-fernseher-u-radiogeraet%2F180952916-88-611&h=600&w=800&tbnid=QlkTRsDXLxm_0M%3A&zoom=1&docid=DVqZpAN6jwAZhM&ei=1by5U9KoM6TT0QXhmoCIBQ&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=2639&page=2&start=17&ndsp=21&ved=0CIgBEK0DMCA

TV-collector :stupid:

Fairlane500skyliner
07-07-2014, 06:37 AM
Boy, isn't that something! Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime experience. :yes: Has the estate been cleared of vintage sets and equipment yet?

Chris

Fairlane500skyliner
07-07-2014, 06:50 AM
Boy, isn't that something! Talk about a once-in-a-lifetime experience. :yes: Has the estate been cleared of vintage sets and equipment yet?

Chris

John Marinello
07-07-2014, 08:57 AM
I've deleted everything related to race and politics from this thread in the hope that it will get back on topic.

Thanks, Eric!

Tom Albrecht
07-07-2014, 09:46 AM
@ Andrea Television
I like the scale, is it the first combo showing a radio scale
and a TV channels scale on one plate?
In the 50s combos were common in some northern european countries.
(Denmark, Austria, Belgium, Germany)
They had TVs and the radios mounted on one chassis.
So its logical that the scales showing radio bands and TV channels.
Example:
http://www.google.de/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fi.ebayimg.com%2F00%2Fs% 2FNzY4WDEwMjQ%253D%2Fz%2F~aMAAMXQydtTNUev%2F%2524_ 20.JPG&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fkleinanzeigen.ebay.de%2Fanz eigen%2Fs-anzeige%2Fgraetz-kurfuerst-antiker-tv-schrank-mit-fernseher-u-radiogeraet%2F180952916-88-611&h=600&w=800&tbnid=QlkTRsDXLxm_0M%3A&zoom=1&docid=DVqZpAN6jwAZhM&ei=1by5U9KoM6TT0QXhmoCIBQ&tbm=isch&client=firefox-a&iact=rc&uact=3&dur=2639&page=2&start=17&ndsp=21&ved=0CIgBEK0DMCA

TV-collector :stupid:

No, there were lots of radio-TV combos right from the start. The Andrea is quite similar to many DuMont models that use a roller inductor tuner to cover the TV and FM bands in a single continuous tuning band. AM is covered with a separate tuner.

dtvmcdonald
07-07-2014, 07:51 PM
No, there were lots of radio-TV combos right from the start. The Andrea is quite similar to many DuMont models that use a roller inductor tuner to cover the TV and FM bands in a single continuous tuning band. AM is covered with a separate tuner.

I'd love to see a photo of such a tuner (the tuning mechanism, that is.)

Phil Nelson
07-07-2014, 08:39 PM
These articles about my Dumont RA-103 and RA-113 sets include various photos of their continuous tuners:

http://antiqueradio.org/DuMontRA-103Television.htm

http://antiqueradio.org/DuMontRA-113Television.htm

Regards,

Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

StellarTV
09-18-2014, 10:27 PM
Who would have thought: a couple months have passed since the big TV hoarder’s estate sale off in Rocklin. Three entire days of digging, loading, and clearing out nearly every TV set, picture tube, and related part there… that there was yet more nestled in the back of the estate company’s storage locker.

I just received a call from the owner of the estate company, who had my contact information from the first event. She says that they were planning on having another event this upcoming weekend, and in their digging had discovered that there were lingering vestiges of the TV collector estate. All I knew was that there was a Predicta in the lot- the rest was pretty vague. I had no idea that I was walking into two more truckloads of TV sets.

Honestly, it came at a bad time for me, both in the regard of manpower and finances. I tried calling a friend to pass on the Predicta which I thought they might be interested in, but it turns out that they were going to be too wound up to be able to make it out for a look. It was up to me. I had to pull some strings, but in the end we were able to make a deal on all the remaining sets, as well as a very unique Sony Videocorder open reel analog tape recording machine.

Pics are huge, so here are the image links:

http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/img_1870.jpg
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/img_1869.jpg
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/img_1867.jpg
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/img_1871.jpg
http://stellartv.files.wordpress.com/2014/09/img_1868.jpg

Just like the earlier loads, some parts sets, and some restorable sets. I really like the Dumont RA-103 tabletop the most out of all the sets in this lot. Gorgeous. They're all gorgeous. :yes:

Phil Nelson
09-19-2014, 01:13 AM
Zounds!

You've got enough projects to keep busy for a long time :)

Phil Nelson

Captain Video
09-19-2014, 06:26 AM
Congratulations on such great finds!!!:thmbsp:

kramden66
09-19-2014, 11:02 AM
You now have one heck of a collection , yeah that RA-103D is a nice set.

mpatoray
09-19-2014, 03:38 PM
On that Sony VideoCorder, AV-3650 1/2" EIAJ format this model is B&W. Common educational/industrial videotape recorder. This one was capable of a sort of editing. Not bad decks at all and that one looks to be in great shape.

Let me know if you want any tape for it.

ChrisW6ATV
09-19-2014, 06:56 PM
The "gift" that keeps on giving? Nice to see some more good finds from that collection.

baursam
09-19-2014, 10:54 PM
Christmas came early, again!!!

I see a few I would be interested in, depending if they can be shipped

Dude111
09-20-2014, 09:12 AM
Now, what to do with them? I don't know yet, but they didn't need to end up in the recycling truck.No they sure dont!!

GOOD FOR YOU........ They are beautiful..... I changed the HTTPS to HTTP in your links as they didnt show for me as HTTPS.....

I went to an estate sale of ppl who moved out west but i didnt find anything like that!!

GOOD FOR YOU BUD!!!!!!! -- Doing what you can to help keep whats good going!!

Down Under
09-20-2014, 10:47 AM
What a fantastic score! There seems to be a lot more interest in vintage TVs in the US than there is in Australia. Maybe I should try to get work over there when I graduate. Any good marketing jobs going?

StellarTV
09-22-2014, 06:09 PM
You now have one heck of a collection , yeah that RA-103D is a nice set.

Yep, I really like that one. While I was there I grabbed what look like a set of TV legs, but wasn't quite sure... looked like a small end table with an open top like the RCA 630 series legs I'd seen. Turns out it goes with the Dumont. Looks great.

What a fantastic score! There seems to be a lot more interest in vintage TVs in the US than there is in Australia. Maybe I should try to get work over there when I graduate. Any good marketing jobs going?

Well there should be! I have two friends from Melbourne who were recently hired on by Amazon in Seattle. Paid moving and lodging expenses as well... I was shocked. I guess there was just nobody in all the land who could do what they could, and considered them an investment. I believe they're coders.

Zounds!

You've got enough projects to keep busy for a long time

Phil Nelson

Yes, I'm planning on selecting the sets I want to restore or otherwise keep in my collection, as there are multiples of several models. Tom Albrecht recommended hooking up with a local Radio Swap to make some of these available. Shipping can be a bear.

cwmoser
09-23-2014, 06:30 AM
Can you tell us something about the person who collected/hoarded all these
TVs? Was he active in restoration?

Carl

StellarTV
09-25-2014, 01:20 AM
Yes. The obituary says a little bit about his life. Published in Fort Bragg Advocate-News on Jan. 16, 2014:

Ernest Henry Vann, 78, died Nov. 27, 2013, at his home in Sacramento. Ernie attended local schools and graduated in 1953. He worked with Al Moise as an apprentice printer until moving to San Francisco in 1961 as a printer for the Lombardo Liquor importing company. He moved to Sacramento in 1964 and, at his retirement, was a supervisor for the state's General Services Printing Plant.
Ernie was an electronics prodigy and, with friends, built one of the first TV sets in Fort Bragg as a youth. He was a regular on Cotton Auditorium lighting and sound crews for the Community Concert Series in the 1950s.
He developed an early appreciation for classical music and heirs plan to donate his large collection to an educational institution, as well as his extensive film collection. He was also a railroad aficionado.
The Vanns were early settlers of Westport, Shelter Cove, and Little River. Ernie's parents, Glenna and Milton Vann, predeceased him. He leaves an aunt, Loretta
Ceccon; and cousins, Luann Pritchard, Jeanne Duncan, Patrick Robbins, Ann Meadlin, Elaine Murray, Ernest Ceccon, and Lora Ceccon.

I only knew him as a customer and visited his home on two occasions to pick up and deliver, which was completely overtaken by these television sets and video in any and every format (1/2" tape, CED, laserdisc, VHS, DVD, Film etc.) Three bedrooms were stacked floor to ceiling with TVs and equipment; two were inaccessible and spilling into the hallway. He also had a penchant for collecting motorcycle leathers; several dozen of which were also sold off at the estate sale.

I gathered out of context that, toward the end of his life he could barely get around, and as he told me, "could only be active 1 hour per day." He was a restorer at heart, but really could not do the work himself due to poor eyesight and failing health. A Gentleman, nonetheless.

Tom Albrecht
01-19-2015, 02:07 AM
Well, I've got another set from this hoard restored -- the Raytheon P-301 7-inch porthole. This is a set I've always wanted, with its unmasked porthole screen, cool brass front panel, and faux alligator skin cabinet.

You can read more about it here: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=268399 . But I'll post a few nice pictures of it here as well.

Kevin Kuehn
01-19-2015, 10:21 AM
Wow! That looks perfect from here. That set must have spent most it's life in storage. Very sharp!

Bill Cahill
01-20-2015, 02:22 PM
Lucky You!!!! Our fearless leader told me about them yesterday, but, I didn't know there was knowledge of it here. I'm glad you rescured them. Wish I had a couple of them.
Bill Cahill

Electronic M
01-20-2015, 02:29 PM
Well, I've got another set from this hoard restored -- the Raytheon P-301 7-inch porthole. This is a set I've always wanted, with its unmasked porthole screen, cool brass front panel, and faux alligator skin cabinet.

You can read more about it here: http://www.antiqueradios.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=268399 . But I'll post a few nice pictures of it here as well.

I think another TV model will have to be added to my want list. After seeing that.

Reece
01-20-2015, 05:21 PM
That Raytheon is almost beyond words. What a beauty. One day an O'scope woke up and it had grown up to be a television.

Bill Cahill
01-20-2015, 05:21 PM
I could use some parts for my Admiral 20X122, and, My RCA 8 TR 29. Can you help???

droptop
01-25-2015, 02:45 PM
I'd be interested in any half inch reel to reel video recorders and associated "stuff".
Thanks.