View Full Version : Another Zenith Rescue [1983 19" SY1927W3 Space Command]

VintageLove
06-10-2014, 08:44 PM
"I gotta admit these Zenith's are starting to grow on me lol.:yes:"
[Sunday June 8th, 2014]
Yep, pretty funny story. I was out this past weekend again, went to my first location nothing there expect the plastic crap, I was a little disappointed but I decided to go to my other location which is way over on the other side of the City for me, and I actually had thought about just going home since it was starting to storm outside, but man am i glad I went! I really didn't think I would find anything at the second location, there was a Samsung DLP, but I already have a 46" Toshiba DLP which the blasted lamp went out again! but that's another story. Anyway looking some more there was a box of about 20 or 30 1984 IBM keyboards more junk! Then hidden in the corner was a damn near mint 1983 Zenith Model: SY1927W3 Space Command even had the door and rabbit ears! I couldn't believe it, I mean what are the chances, I'd score another Zenith from the same year! at least this one has Remote capabilities but no remote oh well. Atleast now if the other 83' dies I can use it for parts :) Also it has the FOCUS hole on the back and at the top UHF/VHF with headphone jack. Also Manufactured in Springfield,Missouri April 1983.[CATV READY with Green LCD Channel Display]

Jon A.
06-10-2014, 09:09 PM
Now you're cookin' with gas. Much nicer than your other one, in regards to condition that is. A pull-on/volume knob on a LED channel readout set wouldn't put me off. Remotes for these are easy to get; the TVs, not so much.

BTW, don't keep it on that padded stool, it's blocking ventilation.

zenith2134
06-10-2014, 09:10 PM
Even though they aren't as collectible, that's a damn fine TV. Have had two so far, one was my grandma's and the other was a curb find.

One died from a lightning strike and the folks threw it away on me years ago, and the one I picked up is on permanent loan to a friend who uses it in his shop.

Both have strong CRTs with perfect color and amazing contrast/sharpness. CRT number 19VMLP22...also used in arcade games of the time; and many of these sets have been harvested for a replacement crt.

The remote says"Computer Space Command" and it's silver and infrared. The 'chromatic' switch is best left OFF, in my experience. These were some of the last 80s Zeniths which were made in USA I believe. My '87 13" color Zenith was made in Mexico.

Jon A.
06-10-2014, 09:25 PM
These were some of the last 80s Zeniths which were made in USA I believe. My '87 13" color Zenith was made in Mexico.
Table sets maybe. My '88 console with the 9-516 was made at the Springfield plant.

zenith2134
06-10-2014, 10:49 PM
Makes sense

radiotvnut
06-10-2014, 11:48 PM
Nice find. I wonder if this set still uses a 9-160 power supply module or does it use the later 9-181/-186 modules? From early '83, it could go either way. A few months ago, I saw a nice Zenith just like this at the thrift store; however, it wasn't connected. So, I have no idea what the picture looked like. They wanted $35 for it; which, seemed high for a set that no one else around here would likely buy. Had it been $10-$15, I would have probably gotten it.

zenith2134
06-10-2014, 11:54 PM
9-181 mainboard, is what my SZ1927W 's used. Have got a 9-160 set from 1981 someplace but it's rough

dieseljeep
06-11-2014, 09:42 AM
Nice find. I wonder if this set still uses a 9-160 power supply module or does it use the later 9-181/-186 modules? From early '83, it could go either way. A few months ago, I saw a nice Zenith just like this at the thrift store; however, it wasn't connected. So, I have no idea what the picture looked like. They wanted $35 for it; which, seemed high for a set that no one else around here would likely buy. Had it been $10-$15, I would have probably gotten it.

That was high for a few months ago!
Two years ago I paid $20.00 for a Zenith hotel set, with a built in AM/FM radio. Both TV and Radio work very well. I bought it because, you can change the radio stations, with the remote. :thmbsp:

radiotvnut
06-11-2014, 11:37 AM
Around here, all of the second hand outlets are proud of their color TV's. I was in one store that was asking $40-$60 for 19" TV's. I don't know if people are actually buying these TV's; but, I sure as heck can't get those kinds of prices for mine. As far as me selling TV's, I could offer a 19" set for $15 and it would just sit here for six months before someone maybe offered $10 for it. If I could still get big prices for TV's, I'd be more interested in fixing them.

dieseljeep
06-11-2014, 01:59 PM
Around here, all of the second hand outlets are proud of their color TV's. I was in one store that was asking $40-$60 for 19" TV's. I don't know if people are actually buying these TV's; but, I sure as heck can't get those kinds of prices for mine. As far as me selling TV's, I could offer a 19" set for $15 and it would just sit here for six months before someone maybe offered $10 for it. If I could still get big prices for TV's, I'd be more interested in fixing them.

Nearby G/W store. Half price on TV's. 13" color with universal remote, $0.49, $0.38 including tax, with my seniors discount. :D

Electronic M
06-11-2014, 05:11 PM
Yeah BPC sets cheap enough here that I've seriously consider buying them to part out.