View Full Version : Predicta... Gonna go check if out

maxhifi
05-25-2014, 02:56 PM
Found a predicta advertised locally, metal cabinet version, probAbly a low end model.
Aside from missing the antenna it appears to be complete. Going
To go check it out as soon as I can coordinate with seller...
Any advice on what may be a show stopper? I don't have a picture tube tester unfortunately but the seller says the screen lights up.

Sorry about spelling error in title, my iPhone isn't made for my big
Fingers

Kamakiri
05-25-2014, 03:01 PM
If there's a raster, you've already bypassed all the potential "show stoppers" :)

rca2000
05-25-2014, 07:33 PM
Not sure..but I THINK the metal ones are the cold chassis ones....and that makes them MUCH more desirable in MY book !! The chassis in them looks a lot like a typical philco chassis of the day...MUCH different than the hot chassis predictas...

maxhifi
05-25-2014, 10:16 PM
I am in disbelief I actually got this TV tonight!! I went to check it out, and sure enough, after some messing around with the power switch a raster came up. I then brought it home and it even makes a picture! Lots of buzz in the sound but this hasn't been used in MANY years, the owner got it 20 years ago and hasn't even tried it in all that time, he had it in a 50s theme basement. Photos attached.

Yes it does have a power transformer.

maxhifi
05-25-2014, 10:18 PM
Here's it operating!

rca2000
05-25-2014, 10:41 PM
Definitely a cold set. And with a 6BQ5--should have good sound too !!

maxhifi
05-25-2014, 11:05 PM
It's got a nice looking 4x6 oval speaker to go with the 6BQ5 (made in England no less)
Many tubes have been replaced and the set appears to have been well used. I need to find a replacement antenna, and some service info. It has a big power transformer so can't be a hot chassis but it has silicon rectifiers, I was hoping to see a 5u4

rca2000
05-25-2014, 11:08 PM
Likely those are used as a doubler. NO 5U4 in pedictas...but it is nice and clod, nonetheless...

rca2000
05-25-2014, 11:09 PM
The tube does not look to bad--either !!

maxhifi
05-25-2014, 11:19 PM
Yes, I have no means to test the tube but the picture is bright and has good contrast... I think this tv will be for special occasions only once it's completed

bandersen
05-25-2014, 11:22 PM
Very nice! You have the Princess model which does indeed use a power transformer and voltage doubler with two diodes. The earlier 21" models use components designed for console sets crammed into a small cabinet and tend to overheat. The metal 17" models use a much better design IMO.

maxhifi
05-25-2014, 11:27 PM
Very nice! You have the Princess model which does indeed use a power transformer and voltage doubler with two diodes. The earlier 21" models use components designed for console sets crammed into a small cabinet and tend to overheat. The metal 17" models use a much better design IMO.

I have a lot to learn about philco predictas... I wonder if my made in Canada version has any differences with the USA sets besides the Robertson screws used everywhere.

DaveWM
05-26-2014, 09:41 AM
just remember if you do ever check the CRT that is operates at a lower filament voltage, 2.68 IIRC

maxhifi
05-26-2014, 10:50 AM
Are there any repro knobs out there? Mine is missing the concentric volume and contrast knobs as well as the antenna. I think philco's attention to detail is really cool,
Like the red back cover. I found SAMS for the princess online, it's cool how this design has some quality features and wasn't pared down to the
Bone like my admiral TV.

rca2000
05-26-2014, 11:35 AM
just remember if you do ever check the CRT that is operates at a lower filament voltage, 2.68 IIRC

Even on the COLD sets? I though that fil v. was only in the HOT sets. ?

DaveWM
05-26-2014, 11:39 AM
17DRP4 has the low volt filament. If rebuilt could be higher and pin out could be different.

maxhifi
05-26-2014, 11:53 AM
On the schematic there is a tap on the power transformer for the CRT, so yes it does have the lower filament voltage. The CRT is also the same part number.

See here:
http://www.earlytelevision.org/pdf/Philco_H3410-Predicta-Princess-Sams-466-1.pdf

bandersen
05-26-2014, 01:50 PM
Are there any repro knobs out there? Mine is missing the concentric volume and contrast knobs as well as the antenna. I think philco's attention to detail is really cool,
Like the red back cover. I found SAMS for the princess online, it's cool how this design has some quality features and wasn't pared down to the
Bone like my admiral TV.

Nope, sorry, no reproduction knobs are made :( Several NOS replacement contrast and volume knobs were on ebay recently so they are out there.

maxhifi
05-26-2014, 02:07 PM
Nope, sorry, no reproduction knobs are made :( Several NOS replacement contrast and volume knobs were on ebay recently so they are out there.

Looks like there's a few places online where I can get a generic concentric knob sets with set screws, which will have to do until the real thing appears. The thought crossed my mind to steal the antenna from my Admiral... maybe I better not do that :)

holmesuser01
05-26-2014, 04:14 PM
I looked at my master list of repaired sets from my service days. It's on a floppy disc that runs on an Apple IIe.

I repaired 12 Predicta's, and only one had a power transformer.

I used to have a box of knobs, but they are long gone, now.

maxhifi
05-26-2014, 04:25 PM
I looked at my master list of repaired sets from my service days. It's on a floppy disc that runs on an Apple IIe.

I repaired 12 Predicta's, and only one had a power transformer.

I used to have a box of knobs, but they are long gone, now.

Mine has seen a few repairs... the few tubes I pulled were all different brands.. Westinghouse, Sylvania, etc. I can't wait to get it apart and look at it in detail.