View Full Version : Sony KV-13EXR90?

YamahaFreak
04-25-2014, 05:40 AM
A few years ago, I was in Virginia with a buddy and picked up this little Trinitron in a local thrift store for $2. I couldn't take it back home, so he's been holding onto it for me. For whatever reason, he's recently been having trouble guaranteeing its safety. I have never seen any reference to this model before; is it uncommon? It's particularly fancy for its age and size, with stereo speakers and A/V input. I REALLY want it home, more than anything because I'm itching to clean it out and make it look new again. I still have yet to do anything beyond power testing and viewing snow. :P

dieseljeep
04-26-2014, 10:11 AM
A few years ago, I was in Virginia with a buddy and picked up this little Trinitron in a local thrift store for $2. I couldn't take it back home, so he's been holding onto it for me. For whatever reason, he's recently been having trouble guaranteeing its safety. I have never seen any reference to this model before; is it uncommon? It's particularly fancy for its age and size, with stereo speakers and A/V input. I REALLY want it home, more than anything because I'm itching to clean it out and make it look new again. I still have yet to do anything beyond power testing and viewing snow. :P

It's probably the most expensive 13" set ever made.
I picked one up from the ward yard a few years ago, that must be the next model down. A model KV13FS100, stereo audio and component video input.
It's really large for a 13" set. :scratch2:

zeno
04-26-2014, 04:33 PM
I think I remember the set. Did it have large speakers sticking
off the sides like ears ?? The EXR series I remember were 25"
sets. The 13" ( & 19") I am thinking about wasnt rare. I will look tomorrow
& see if I got the manual for it & comment if I do.

73 Zeno

zeno
04-26-2014, 04:41 PM
It's probably the most expensive 13" set ever made.
I picked one up from the ward yard a few years ago, that must be the next model down. A model KV13FS100, stereo audio and component video input.
It's really large for a 13" set. :scratch2:
Yours is a much later WEGA series set the EXR sets were abt 10 yrs earlier
IIRC. Damn good set. For us the big seller in the WEGA line
was the 24", a nice size. Never got a full order of them &
would run out in 2-3 wks & have to wait for the next build.

73 Zeno:smoke:

YamahaFreak
04-26-2014, 04:45 PM
I have both the KV-13FS100 (part of my 'Power Wagon' mobile video gaming setup) and its less common pearl white twin, the KV-13FS110. These sets were made about 2003, and came much later than the KV-13EXR90, which I believe was made in the mid-90s. Those little FS sets are every bit the tiny version of the big XBRs, with just about everything except HD. They have a fantastic component video picture, and really are the Cadillac of 13" sets!

And yes Zeno, the 13EXR did have the 'ear' speakers, I believe!

holmesuser01
04-27-2014, 06:29 PM
I've got the big brother of your 13" EXR set here. 27". Mine was built in 1991. Weighs a ton.

New CRT in 2008. Still pretty.

YamahaFreak
04-27-2014, 11:14 PM
I've got the big brother of your 13" EXR set here. 27". Mine was built in 1991. Weighs a ton.

New CRT in 2008. Still pretty.

Where did you manage to procure a new CRT? That's amazing!

holmesuser01
04-28-2014, 08:26 AM
Where did you manage to procure a new CRT? That's amazing!

Actually, it was a less than a year old tube in a set that died. The entire set was replaced under warranty (Long time customer who refused to let us run the set long enough to find out what was wrong with it)

I kept the set intact in my shop from 1992 until 2008, when my own EXR set CRT started dying.

I'm glad I saved it. The picture is perfect again.

When I changed out the tube, I was afraid that the CRT sitting all those years would be bad, and that I might find that it was gassy. No problems of any kind have been noted.

Moved the CRT with all convergence and yoke parts included. It was basically plug and play.

YamahaFreak
04-28-2014, 04:27 PM
Actually, it was a less than a year old tube in a set that died. The entire set was replaced under warranty (Long time customer who refused to let us run the set long enough to find out what was wrong with it)

I kept the set intact in my shop from 1992 until 2008, when my own EXR set CRT started dying.

I'm glad I saved it. The picture is perfect again.

When I changed out the tube, I was afraid that the CRT sitting all those years would be bad, and that I might find that it was gassy. No problems of any kind have been noted.

Moved the CRT with all convergence and yoke parts included. It was basically plug and play.

That's really cool! I've got a KV-27S26(?) with a really weak CRT, and a beat-up, but functional, KV-27S15 that uses the same CRT. I'll get around to swapping them one of these days!

holmesuser01
04-28-2014, 05:04 PM
If you leave the yoke and magnets alone, it's a snap to do

YamahaFreak
04-28-2014, 05:34 PM
At the risk of derailing the thread further, the part I find difficult is safely removing, transporting, and reinstalling large CRTs, much bigger than 19". :P

dieseljeep
04-28-2014, 07:07 PM
At the risk of derailing the thread further, the part I find difficult is safely removing, transporting, and reinstalling large CRTs, much bigger than 19". :P

The main thing is being careful! At this point, I can't handle anything heavier than a 27" table model. The Sony's always seem to be the most difficult sets to handle.
I'd be more concerned with damaging the CRT, by necking it. By damaging it, in that way, they generally won't implode. :scratch2:

YamahaFreak
04-28-2014, 08:58 PM
I think Sony's tubes have always had more glass in the front, and are therefore heavier.

Beachboy
05-03-2014, 02:02 PM
I've got the 20" version of the EXR series. I bought it new (for my 40th birthday) in 1992. Paid a bit over $500 for it, on sale at Best Buy. Very high featured set with two AV inputs, audio output, plus external speaker terminals. And yes, those "ear like" speakers that appear to be an afterthought. Mine was still working fine when I put it in the closet 10 years ago, in favor of a 24" flat picture tube model. I don't know if I'll ever use it again, but I hate to junk such a nice old set. Of course, the younger generation wouldn't be caught dead using such ancient technology. :sigh:

holmesuser01
05-03-2014, 03:11 PM
I've got the 20" version of the EXR series. I bought it new (for my 40th birthday) in 1992. Paid a bit over $500 for it, on sale at Best Buy. Very high featured set with two AV inputs, audio output, plus external speaker terminals. And yes, those "ear like" speakers that appear to be an afterthought. Mine was still working fine when I put it in the closet 10 years ago, in favor of a 24" flat picture tube model. I don't know if I'll ever use it again, but I hate to junk such a nice old set. Of course, the younger generation wouldn't be caught dead using such ancient technology. :sigh:

I replaced the IC on the 'G' board on many of these EXR sets, my own, included.

It was the big one mounted on the heatsink.

YamahaFreak
05-04-2014, 04:04 AM
I think maybe the reason for the speaker 'ears' is because by the time they'd crammed all the EXR high technology into the cabinet, there was no more room for the speakers...so they built them onto the outside of the cabinet :D