View Full Version : Does anyone have a schematic for an RCA CTC-52, 53, 54, 55 to share?

powerking
04-09-2014, 07:51 PM
I have a Curtis Mathes CMC-37/40 TV and it has been said they are a cloan with various "tweeks" of the RCA above mentioned chassis'. This is a series strung filiment set with 5GH8A's in the mix as opposed to more common 6GH8A'a like other early '70s RCA'a used. I've searched the forums on this website and can only find views/videos of these RCA sets operating from "retrochad" but no back/chassis shots. I'd like to compare the C.M. to RCA and see if it really is clone.

Thanks,

Tom D.

EdKozk2
04-09-2014, 11:34 PM
Hi Tom, the CMC 40 is mostly all tube. The RCA CTC-53c/d/xad and CTC-55xab/xah are hybrid sets.The CTC-53a/b, A1, XP and CTC 51A, xp,xt were also hybrid sets.

powerking
04-10-2014, 06:39 AM
This CMC-37 is also a hybrid set, a few tuner transistors and and 1 AFT I.C. I'd still like to take a look a the above RCA schematics to see if one of them matches up close to it; also a picture of the top/and or rear of the chassis would be nice.

Tom

zeno
04-10-2014, 08:42 AM
This CMC-37 is also a hybrid set, a few tuner transistors and and 1 AFT I.C. I'd still like to take a look a the above RCA schematics to see if one of them matches up close to it; also a picture of the top/and or rear of the chassis would be nice.

Tom
The CMC37 looks nothing like any RCA. The RCA that would come closest
was there first plastic cabinet 19" but I dont remember the chassis ##
or the tube compliment except all those damn 5GH8's. At least the
tuner is different & I dont remember a 12BF11 in the RCA but I havent
worked on one in abt 35 yrs.............
The RCA was an all tube upright chassis that wrapped around the CRT
& sucked to work on. They were tube hungry sets. After fixing the main
problem you could change half the tubes & see improvements as you go.
That being said they could give a nice pix if you changed a mess of tubes.
If you need info on the CM chassis or the RCA if you get the chassis ##
I can help to an extent but beyond that we are into where I get my
beer $$ so PM me.

73 Zeno:smoke:

rca2000
04-14-2014, 04:31 PM
It is a solid state set, 1st. gen. modular. 1972 model. ALWAYS had electronic tuning, , usually remoted, and usually on top level sets. basically a CTC-46 set up for electronic tuning. Nice, cold chassis with quadrupler high voltage. It is a somewhat rare chassis. Seen a lot of 46's, ( have at least one) seen only a couple of CTC-54's.

I have LONG desired the RCA HQ-941R combo set, it had the CTC-54 and a decent SS stereo....but I have NEVER seen one outside of the RCA brochure from 1972.