View Full Version : Heathkit Seneca....now what do I do with it?

Kamakiri
03-25-2014, 06:59 PM
Through my buddy BigAudioAl, I scored this nice Heathkit Seneca with spare transmitting tubes.

It's 6 meter and 2 meter AM, VFO, plus crystals as well. It's a transmitter only. This is something that could inspire me to create a vintage ham shack, but from what I've read it might be better served to sit on a shelf and look pretty :D

I've got a ham ticket, but....hm. Seems to work, tubes test good, and it's near immaculate. Thoughts? :)

N8NM
03-25-2014, 08:17 PM
That's a beaut!

There's not much AM activity on those bands, but maybe we can change that :-) I've always thought it would be a hoot!

-Steve

bob91343
03-25-2014, 11:48 PM
The 2 meter band has become a desert. Six meters seems to be populated with refugees from 11 meters. Very little operation, if any, is AM. In fact, nearly all the AM I have heard in L.A. is on 75 and 160. There is a 10 meter AM segment but not a whole lot going on there.

My thought is to keep it for its quaint looks and no more. You'd need a decent receiver to go with it. A modern transceiver will copy six meters but you don't have too many options for 2m, short of homebrew.

snelson903
03-26-2014, 02:21 AM
sure is a nice looking radio .

Kamakiri
03-26-2014, 05:55 AM
Maybe it's time to search out a (somewhat) matching receiver, microphone, and antenna. I hate to have such a nice looking thing just go to waste without trying. And this is something that I could really enjoy using, as opposed to my 2 meter Clegg.....which I haven't used in a year or so other than to kerchunk a repeater to make sure it still works.

Or, it could be a gigantic waste of time and money. But then again, so what? ;)

N8NM
03-26-2014, 10:48 AM
Ah, but the entertainment value is priceless!

N8NM
03-26-2014, 10:54 AM
One option would be to pair it with a boatanchor receiver with a VHF converter.

Kamakiri
03-26-2014, 12:18 PM
VHF converter?

jr_tech
03-26-2014, 03:26 PM
These items might be useful to complete a matching station:
Receiver: http://www.heathkit-museum.com/ham/hvmrx-1.shtml
Converters (2&6M): http://www.heathkit-museum.com/ham/hvmxc-2-6.shtml
jr

Add: might as well add this for HF operation: http://www.heathkit-museum.com/ham/hvmtx-1.shtml

Great looking equipment!

N8NM
03-26-2014, 03:40 PM
Yep. I have an old RME VHF-152 which is a stand-alone unit (will work with any receiver) that converts 10, 6 and 2m to 40 m. Heathkit also made single-band converters as accessories for their SB-301 receivers.

I've never tried this, but it seems like it'd be possible to hack an old VHF TV tuner into a converter (6m & 2m in/10m out). I'm sure it would drift but probably be good enough for AM...

Kamakiri
03-26-2014, 07:15 PM
One of these days I really have to take the General test. I was one of the last of the "technician plus" class, licensed in 1990.

bob91343
03-27-2014, 03:38 PM
Why stop at General?

Kamakiri
03-27-2014, 07:13 PM
Same reason I stopped at where I am. I don't like to do contests, and the QSOs that I've had over the years were mostly about what kind of radios you run, your antenna setup, and the weather.

:boring::boring::boring::boring::boring:

bob91343
03-27-2014, 07:24 PM
That's like saying you won't browse the Internet because there is spam. Ham radio is what you make it, not what it is. You can form groups, hunt DX, play with electronics, fool with antennas, work on modulation or propagation theory, and so on and on. Or just jabber nonsense - politics, religion, history, you name it. There are nets that specialize in AM, in Collins Radio, in maritime operations, message handling, CW practice, and the list seems never to end.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

wa2ise
03-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Why stop at General?

Yeah. The extra doesn't require morse code anymore, it's just more written tests. You'd get to operate on the "extra only" band segments on HF. I suppose the FCC decided that your carrier frequency was much easier to measure remotely than try to guess how much power you were transmitting.

N8NM
03-27-2014, 11:10 PM
My homebrew projects keep me interested. The attached pics are my little 6AG7/6L6 transmitter that I use with either my NC-57 or RME-45 receiver. It was fun to build and every QSO is rewarding, even the boring ones, LOL.

Kamakiri
03-28-2014, 06:11 AM
That's like saying you won't browse the Internet because there is spam. Ham radio is what you make it, not what it is. You can form groups, hunt DX, play with electronics, fool with antennas, work on modulation or propagation theory, and so on and on. Or just jabber nonsense - politics, religion, history, you name it. There are nets that specialize in AM, in Collins Radio, in maritime operations, message handling, CW practice, and the list seems never to end.

Don't throw out the baby with the bath water.

You're right. Can't argue that.

My last really active period was doing message handling, I was a local 2 meter relay for MARS back in the days of the Gulf War, bringing messages to local families from the troops. It was a very rewarding experience.

Maybe it was because my entire ham experience has been limited to the 2 meter band.....

bob91343
03-28-2014, 12:19 PM
I have stopped using 2 meters because of the crap that goes on there. I have restricted my operations to HF and frankly have had an immense ball. I have worked over 300 countries. I even decided to put up a second tower for the WARC bands. The fun is limitless for me; You can usually find me on 20 meters, CW or SSB, but I go everywhere in HF, all modes. And I don't cheat; I don't run high power on 30 meters, for instance, as I am sure others do. No need to cheat when you can have all this fun.

I also don't use profanity and don't talk religion or politics. You don't make too many friends that way.