View Full Version : Cute little Motorola Cadet

Kamakiri
03-19-2014, 06:41 PM
Funny, searched and there doesn't appear to be a thread on these sets.....

Picked up this cute little mint condition Motorola Cadet from a friend recently. Inadequate vertical sweep, tubes test fine and I replaced a couple .047 caps in the vertical sweep section to no avail. Thinking it might be yoke time, but I can't find a valid model number anywhere on the set so that I can source a Sams.

Electronic M
03-19-2014, 07:35 PM
Did you test the vertical resistors?

Robb
03-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Nice. I like it.
Interested in selling it ? :smoke:

dieseljeep
03-19-2014, 08:09 PM
Funny, searched and there doesn't appear to be a thread on these sets.....

Picked up this cute little mint condition Motorola Cadet from a friend recently. Inadequate vertical sweep, tubes test fine and I replaced a couple .047 caps in the vertical sweep section to no avail. Thinking it might be yoke time, but I can't find a valid model number anywhere on the set so that I can source a Sams.
The set is about a 66-67 model. The chassis number should be stamped in the edge of the metal PC board frame.

Kamakiri
03-19-2014, 09:50 PM
Did you test the vertical resistors?

Didn't test anything. This chassis is rather packed in, and usually in such a situation I'll start by testing voltages and working from there.

Sounds to me like you know something about this set....care to enlighten? :) :scratch2:

Kamakiri
03-19-2014, 09:56 PM
Nice. I like it.
Interested in selling it ? :smoke:

Nah, not at this point. I've sold or given to fellow collectors so much of my collection that I liked but never used (or never worked on as the case may be), so that right now I'm down to a total of 12 or so televisions.....my core of what I use and what I want to use.

Of that number, 5 are fully functional but I've done at least some work on all of them.....all but 2 are in the final stages of de-lousing (which is what as we all know takes the longest when we run into issues).

I watched the first liftoff of the Space Shuttle Columbia on a Cadet, sick in bed at my sister and brother-in-law's house, as a kid. Kind of a neat memory, and I think I'd enjoy watching and using this set :)

Robb
03-19-2014, 11:06 PM
Nah, not at this point. I've sold or given to fellow collectors so much of my collection that I liked but never used (or never worked on as the case may be), so that right now I'm down to a total of 12 or so televisions.....my core of what I use and what I want to use.

Of that number, 5 are fully functional but I've done at least some work on all of them.....all but 2 are in the final stages of de-lousing (which is what as we all know takes the longest when we run into issues).

I watched the first liftoff of the Space Shuttle Columbia on a Cadet, sick in bed at my sister and brother-in-law's house, as a kid. Kind of a neat memory, and I think I'd enjoy watching and using this set :)

:sigh:

Electronic M
03-19-2014, 11:25 PM
Didn't test anything. This chassis is rather packed in, and usually in such a situation I'll start by testing voltages and working from there.

Sounds to me like you know something about this set....care to enlighten? :) :scratch2:

Never owned or seen one in person(it's a nice little set though), but I've had enough sets go form having a completely lousy vertical section to a near perfect one just by replacing all off tolerance resistors (and am a cheap enough son of a gun when it comes to repair parts) that after tubes and caps in the vert. are confirmed good I go straight for the resistors before suspecting semi-unobtainium parts....Also if a somewhat costly part fails I've learned (the hard way:smoke:) to look for the reason it failed in surrounding circuitry and generally make sure there is nothing going on in the surrounding circuitry that can readily damage that new part before running said new part.

Einar72
03-19-2014, 11:42 PM
Stared at a stack of these the day White Front opened in Seattle in '67. Found one in a thrift storeabout1983, then took it to Utah in the overhead compartment on the airliner!

Kamakiri
03-20-2014, 06:15 AM
Never owned or seen one in person(it's a nice little set though), but I've had enough sets go form having a completely lousy vertical section to a near perfect one just by replacing all off tolerance resistors (and am a cheap enough son of a gun when it comes to repair parts) that after tubes and caps in the vert. are confirmed good I go straight for the resistors before suspecting semi-unobtainium parts....Also if a somewhat costly part fails I've learned (the hard way:smoke:) to look for the reason it failed in surrounding circuitry and generally make sure there is nothing going on in the surrounding circuitry that can readily damage that new part before running said new part.

I'd tend to agree with you, but this thing has probably 1" of vertical sweep. I've found that (most often) little issues, little parts.....big issues big parts. While the set inside looks as mint as the outside, what I'm pretty sure is the vertical output transformer looks a bit gamey.....

Kamakiri
03-20-2014, 06:19 AM
The set is about a 66-67 model. The chassis number should be stamped in the edge of the metal PC board frame.

There it is, thanks!

WTS-454YA-04....Sams 775-3, making this one a 1965 :)

Now, to find one.....Sams website has them, but I'd like to find an original copy. Anyone happen to have one they'd part with/sell?

dieseljeep
03-20-2014, 09:58 AM
There it is, thanks!

WTS-454YA-04....Sams 775-3, making this one a 1965 :)

Now, to find one.....Sams website has them, but I'd like to find an original copy. Anyone happen to have one they'd part with/sell?
It looks like they used every square inch of space available!
I'll look if I have a Sams. I have a Supreme manual, that covers the set. They have them bound so well, they're hard to photocopy.

Kamakiri
03-20-2014, 12:58 PM
If whatever you have gives ohm out specs for the vertical output transformer, that'll get me started.....

dieseljeep
03-20-2014, 06:21 PM
If whatever you have gives ohm out specs for the vertical output transformer, that'll get me started.....

It's an unusual design for a B/W vertical output transformer.
The resistance values, per Sams are as follows:
Between the blue and red: 250 ohms.
between the red and the green: 1.8 ohms.
between the green and the black: 17.8 ohms.
Disconnect the green lead from the yoke, to get the truest readings.
The transformer is an autotransformer design and has only one winding with taps.
Sams doesn't show any replacements for it, so hopefully it'll be OK. :scratch2:

zeno
03-21-2014, 08:04 AM
They were fairly common sets. The antennas were always broken
out of the handle, Moto had a kit to fix that. They are crowded
& high milage ones dried up like a GE. Other than that they
ran quite nice & yours looks very clean.
BTW PM me if you dont find a free Sams.

73 Zeno:smoke:

Kamakiri
03-25-2014, 06:09 PM
Actually, BigDavesTV beat you to it :)

I'll hop back on this one when the Sams arrives....

rcaman
03-25-2014, 10:35 PM
i have one of those in brown. gave adam one also when he picked up the ctc-9 i sold him. mine does not work also. it is on the to do list.

Boobtubeman
03-27-2014, 12:08 AM
I owned one of these for 30 minutes once... :D

I saw it at a yard sale for $3.... took it home.... Zapped a weak CRT... Displayed it at my yard sale.... Neighbor bought it for $30 :thmbsp:

Took my weekend proceeds and bought a 69 mach 1 from a friend for scrap

City made me get rid of it... WISH i still had that car NOW.....

SR

Beachboy
03-30-2014, 10:00 PM
I had one of those Cadets for many years. I bought mine new in 1968 for $89.95, and the solid state model was a whopping $10 more, so being a poor high school junior, I cheaped out and got the tube model. It served me well through the rest of my HS and college years, then my parents used it daily in their dining room until around 1980. I finally gave it away in 1985 when I moved and didn't want to pack it along. It never required a bit of servicing, but the antenna broke off at some point in time, as zeno mentioned.

Kamakiri
03-31-2014, 01:33 PM
Surprisingly the antenna on this thing is still intact.

Now that I have the Sams, time to get rolling on dis :)

Kamakiri
05-21-2014, 07:28 PM
Well, the Cadet is now fixed and working perfectly!

I cheated though, I bought a working one at ETF that wasn't cosmetically as nice, and swapped chassis :D

Does anyone need Cadet parts, by chance? I have a whole complete (mostly) working chassis, good picture tube, knobs, etc....

Actually, I can put the whole thing back together and you can pick up where I left off if someone needs it!