View Full Version : Having a little fun tonight . . .

bigaudioal
03-12-2014, 10:16 PM
Recorded a YouTube video of one of my vintage sets broadcasting a YouTube video of Bob Anderson restoring a vintage set.

Pretty sure a black hole opened up somewhere in the universe as a result! :D

http://youtu.be/Bb5CVDom1ew

Electronic M
03-13-2014, 01:07 AM
You MANIAC!!!!! You destroyed the universe! :D

Perhaps I should play your video on one of my color sets, and have others do similar until the original becomes unintelligible...

bigaudioal
03-13-2014, 06:25 AM
:yikes: :jawdrop:

DavGoodlin
03-13-2014, 07:59 AM
Wait...I'm still here.

Was that an Admiral that Bob was checking resistors on???

bigaudioal
03-13-2014, 10:01 AM
Wait...I'm still here.

Was that an Admiral that Bob was checking resistors on???

Yep. I believe it was an Admiral chassis out of a combo unit that he is working on for a fellow collector.

decojoe67
03-14-2014, 04:37 PM
How were able to watch a YT vid on your Admiral?! Love to be able to do that.

Chip Chester
03-14-2014, 07:09 PM
Not to worry, the black hole only got down to about 20 IRE. We're safe.

Computer with composite (or component) out > RF modulator > voila!

Nice set.

Chip

bigaudioal
03-14-2014, 08:59 PM

I have a Blu ray player hooked up to a 4 way switch which runs into my agile modulator. Trick is to get a Blu ray, with wifi built in that is a few years old. This way it still has the rca composite outputs on it (red/white/yellow). The new Blu rays only have HDMI or HDMI/component outputs. I actually pair my iPhone with the Blu ray player so I can use that to search and play videos. Way better than the built in YT player in the Blu ray. I watched the entire game 7 of the 1952 World Series on my Admiral console set the other night from YT! Was awesome!

I got the Panasonic Blu-ray model DMP-BD871. On eBay from time to time. $30 including shipping. There is a Sony model too that fit the bill, but could not find it.

I also have my DirecTV and a VCR running to my switch as well. My last open input on my switch I'd like to hook my laptop up. But my laptop only has VGA out and headphone output for audio. Has no s-video output. So have to figure out how to get VGA out and headphone audio out to RCA jacks in for my switch.

bigaudioal
03-14-2014, 09:02 PM
Not to worry, the black hole only got down to about 20 IRE. We're safe.

Computer with composite (or component) out > RF modulator > voila!

Nice set.

Chip

Thanks. Set took Kamakiri and me working on it for almost a year to get it going. Was a mess! :D

bigaudioal
03-14-2014, 09:10 PM
I have a Blu ray player hooked up to a 4 way switch which runs into my agile modulator. Trick is to get a Blu ray, with wifi built in that is a few years old. This way it still has the rca composite outputs on it (red/white/yellow). The new Blu rays only have HDMI or HDMI/component outputs. I actually pair my iPhone with the Blu ray player so I can use that to search and play videos. Way better than the built in YT player in the Blu ray. I watched the entire game 7 of the 1952 World Series on my Admiral console set the other night from YT! Was awesome!

I got the Panasonic Blu-ray model DMP-BD871. On eBay from time to time. $30 including shipping. There is a Sony model too that fit the bill, but could not find it.

I also have my DirecTV and a VCR running to my switch as well. My last open input on my switch I'd like to hook my laptop up. But my laptop only has VGA out and headphone output for audio. Has no s-video output. So have to figure out how to get VGA out and headphone audio out to RCA jacks in for my switch.

To clarify, I use an agile modulator which puts out a weak analog signal. Mine broadcasts on channel 7. So I feed all my devices to a switch then into the agile modulator. My old sets simply use rabbit ears to pick up the broadcast on channel 7. However if you found a Blu-ray with composite out jacks and fed them directly into an RF modulator and then to your old set that would work fine as well.

decojoe67
03-15-2014, 08:27 AM
To clarify, I use an agile modulator which puts out a weak analog signal. Mine broadcasts on channel 7. So I feed all my devices to a switch then into the agile modulator. My old sets simply use rabbit ears to pick up the broadcast on channel 7. However if you found a Blu-ray with composite out jacks and fed them directly into an RF modulator and then to your old set that would work fine as well.
Okay then, but I have just one last question - how can I watch YouTube videos on my vintage TV's? - :) Haha, just kiddin. Really though, thank's for the great info, but I think I'll stick to using my DVD/VCR output.

Kamakiri
03-15-2014, 11:41 AM
Thanks. Set took Kamakiri and me working on it for almost a year to get it going. Was a mess! :D

A mess is an understatement ;) . Someone at some time tried to chop it up and make a scope out of it. But it was well worth the effort!

robert1
03-15-2014, 02:48 PM

there are several ways of achiving this but the best way i found was to just actually burn DVDs of the You-Tube content & play it back on your DVD player. You-Tube has a lot of classic TV shows from the 50's, 60's & 70's as well as classic movies from the 30's up to the 90's. many of them are full length.

i strongly suggest that you use a Linux PC because the process would be actually easer to do then if doing this with a Windows PC.
i do this with Firefox with the Video Download-helper add-on.
i use a easy to use, free, DVD authuring / conversion program called DeVeDe to create the DVD image & use K3B CD/DVD burning program to burn the DVD image to a DVD.
once done, it has great results.

Chip Chester
03-15-2014, 03:10 PM
Here's an example of a hardware method of conversion. Composite for color, and maybe the Luminance only signal from s-video for monochrome.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4724&seq=1&format=2

Chip

kvflyer
03-16-2014, 09:05 AM
Here's an example of a hardware method of conversion. Composite for color, and maybe the Luminance only signal from s-video for monochrome.

http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=101&cp_id=10114&cs_id=1011407&p_id=4724&seq=1&format=2

Chip

Chip,

That is a pretty cool item. And, the price is certainly good.

Thanks for sharing the info.

robert1
03-16-2014, 10:52 AM

Chip

that a good device for surfing the web with (if you want to use your TV as the monitor), however, it still requiers a R.F modulator as well as a patch cable to connect your Sound card output to the modulator. also, another problem to think about is resolution. will the video properly be displayed on the TV in the proper 4.3 format?. i really don't think it will.

kvflyer
03-16-2014, 12:11 PM
Most computer graphic cards will allow you to set many different aspect ratios. For that matter, how much stuff today is formatted for 4X3? Lots of shows, especially movies are all over the map.

Still, this looks like something to have. Not expensive...

Electronic M
03-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Some PC's have composite and or S-video output on their graphics cards. I have a 2002 HP that does. I found it on the side of the road missing it's hard drives and part of the case. After replacing the missing hardware and building it into a gutted VCR case all I needed to connect it to my modulator was a 1/8 phone jack to RCA adapter (which I have several of laying around) and a single RCA patch cord. I'm half tempted to wire the guts of a wall wort powered modulator into my unit to make it a stand-alone internet/digital to vintage analog TV media box.

Chip Chester
03-16-2014, 01:53 PM
The device I noted has horizontal/vertical positioning (hardware) buttons on the side, and apparently various zoom settings as well. The menu would reveal all, of course. Aspect ratio would come from the content itself. You might be able to influence that by changing what screen resolution the computer thinks it is using. And yes, an RF modulator is still required, as referenced post 7.

There are other, similar boxes out there that do this, too. If you really want to go back, the original PC XT monochrome card (plus parallel port) had an RCA mono out. Getting one spiffed up enough to get on the web and browse YouTube would require a little more work than just slappin' some Trumpet Winsock on it.

Chip

TVTim
03-16-2014, 06:13 PM
Maybe I missed it but how did you record YT??

I can't figure out how to download YT to copy to a DVD.

robert1
03-16-2014, 07:25 PM
Maybe I missed it but how did you record YT??
I can't figure out how to download YT to copy to a DVD.

That's Easy. Downloading is the easy part, but it requires The Firefox Web Browser along the Video Download-helper Add-on. you can find that add-on clicking Tools-Addons - type in Download-helper. once installed. click to enable it. after it is installed, any you-tube (or other supported video sites), a little icon that looks like three color balls that are spinning will appear on the navigation bar, click on the arrow that is just right of the bar & it will present a drop down menu. choose Quick Download. there will be a choice of filetypes (Medium)-.mp4, (HQ)-.flv click on the (medium).mp4
after your done, go to "Downloads" directory & look for a folder called "dwhelper" that is where your video has downloaded as a .mp4 file.

i do not know much about Microsoft Windows as where they would keep the default user downloads directory as i have not used Microsoft Windows for 10 years. i do all my DVD Authering, & Video Conversions on Linux. i do not know if there is any free software for Video conversion for Windows.

old_tv_nut
03-16-2014, 07:30 PM
http://download.cnet.com/YTD-Video-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html

robert1
03-16-2014, 07:40 PM
http://download.cnet.com/YTD-Video-Downloader/3000-2071_4-10647340.html

That is Spyware. Do Not install. some of the "adware" in that installer cannot be safely un-installed.

also, it does not have the facillity to convert .mp4 to a DVD complient file structure.

bigaudioal
03-16-2014, 09:01 PM
there are several ways of achiving this but the best way i found was to just actually burn DVDs of the You-Tube content & play it back on your DVD player. You-Tube has a lot of classic TV shows from the 50's, 60's & 70's as well as classic movies from the 30's up to the 90's. many of them are full length.

i strongly suggest that you use a Linux PC because the process would be actually easer to do then if doing this with a Windows PC.
i do this with Firefox with the Video Download-helper add-on.
i use a easy to use, free, DVD authuring / conversion program called DeVeDe to create the DVD image & use K3B CD/DVD burning program to burn the DVD image to a DVD.
once done, it has great results.

Only issue with burning YT content to DVD is if you want to watch something that is too long to be burned to 1 dvd. Like a 3 hour 1952 World Series game. :D

For the shorter stuff, like 30 minute TV shows, etc., I also burn to DVD.

robert1
03-16-2014, 09:58 PM
Only issue with burning YT content to DVD is if you want to watch something that is too long to be burned to 1 dvd. Like a 3 hour 1952 World Series game. :D

i don't have that issue with my DVD authoring program, i can fit 6 hours of programming on a 4.7G DVD.

For the shorter stuff, like 30 minute TV shows, etc., I also burn to DVD.

when i make DVDs of half hour shows, i can put 8 Half hour shows or put 6 one hour shows on a 4.7G DVD. the DeVeDe authouring program is very flexable & has a lot of options for customisation.

bigaudioal
03-16-2014, 10:01 PM
i don't have that issue with my DVD authoring program, i can fit 6 hours of programming on a 4.7G DVD.

when i make DVDs of half hour shows, i can put 8 Half hour shows or put 6 one hour shows on a 4.7G DVD. the DeVeDe authouring program is very flexable & has a lot of options for customisation.

Oh cool!! Thanks for that tip. Have to check that out! :thmbsp:

robert1
03-17-2014, 01:54 PM
Oh cool!! Thanks for that tip. Have to check that out! :thmbsp:

you will need a Linux PC for this particular app. any modern Linux distribution will do. the apps name is called "DeVeDe" and it is available in the distributions software repositories & in installed with the distributions package manager. i do not think DeVeDe has been ported to Windows.

Ooops, My mistake..they do have a Windows port. i cant vouch if the windows version would have the same feature parody as the Linux version.
heres the link. http://www.devede.org/download/choose/

bigaudioal
03-17-2014, 04:36 PM
you will need a Linux PC for this particular app. any modern Linux distribution will do. the apps name is called "DeVeDe" and it is available in the distributions software repositories & in installed with the distributions package manager. i do not think DeVeDe has been ported to Windows.

Ooops, My mistake..they do have a Windows port. i cant vouch if the windows version would have the same feature parody as the Linux version.
heres the link. http://www.devede.org/download/choose/

I downloaded the Firefox down-loader add in and the windows version of DeVeDe and the same 3 hour 1952 World Series game fit on one DVD. About 2.5 of the 4.7 gig. So worked great!!! Thanks for this. Always nice to be able to use multiple devices and techniques to keep cool programming pumping through our vintage sets. :D