View Full Version : Got in My Xmas Present...

Sandy G
03-05-2014, 08:40 PM
...From me to me. Back in December, a guy, Bill Kalcik of Wisconsin Dells, Wisconsin, ran a BIG ad in "Electric Radio" magazine, & one of the items listed was an RCA 621TS, something that's been on my Lust List forever. I called him, we made a deal, & the 621 became mine for WAY under a kilobuck. Well, I DON'T have to tell you guys what a TERRIBLE winter we've had, up there its been even worse-Bill's called several times, saying he couldn't get into his warehouse, it was so bad. Well, one day last week, he said things had freed up enuff to where he could get to the 621, & get it boxed up. Glad I waited & was patient. It actually showed up ystrday, the box looked like it coulda made it to Timbuktu & back w/NO problems. I called Bethany & Corey, & had Corey unbox it for me. He's a BIG, strong, healthy lad, had a BIG knife, & it still took him the better part of half an hour to get the TV out... Its in cosmetically EXCELLENT shape, I MIGHT go over it w/Pledge of something. Included were the knobs and an original RCA service bulletin-NOT a Sam's, but the FACTORY manual. Needless to say, I'm VERY happy-I'd say it might be making a trip to Dr Dewick's..By the bye, Bill has a whole warehouse full of goodies he's wanting to sell...If anyone's interested, PM me & I'll pass along his contact info...

Ohighway
03-05-2014, 08:56 PM
Wow, I just looked that up. Very cool looking set.

bandersen
03-05-2014, 09:41 PM
Congratulations! The service bulletin is a nice bonus and I hope your CRT is good.
Please, please don't use Pledge on it. Pledge contains silicone oils that will find their way into the wood and contaminate it.

Phil Nelson
03-05-2014, 09:50 PM
I was just about to warn against Pledge, but bandersen beat me to it. Silicone contamination is very bad news. You can't remove the silicone by stripping, or even by belt-sanding off all of the old finish. Stripping or sanding just spreads it around.

There are safe alternatives if you want to shine it up a little. Good old wax, for instance.

Congratulations on getting that interesting set. That model is still on my wish list.

Regards,
Phil Nelson
Phil's Old Radios
http://antiqueradio.org/index.html

Sandy G
03-05-2014, 09:55 PM
Congratulations! The service bulletin is a nice bonus and I hope your CRT is good.
Please, please don't use Pledge on it. Pledge contains silicone oils that will find their way into the wood and contaminate it.

Gotcha ! Yeah, I hope the "Unobtanium" 7DP4 is good, too...

Kevin Kuehn
03-06-2014, 12:25 AM
Well I guess a belated Merry Christmas is in order. :thmbsp:

I sure hope we get to see some pictures of this grand TV soon. I have to agree about Pledge. I never even allow the stuff near the house.

Dude111
03-06-2014, 01:58 AM
Good for you Sandy!!!!!

I hope ya have many years of happiness with her :)

baursam
03-06-2014, 06:25 PM
Very cool Sandy, a nice new addition to the family!!

Sandy G
03-06-2014, 06:33 PM
This is the FIRST 621 I've seen that was WAY under a kilobuck, in nearly 20 yrs of looking & lusting.. There were a couple on You-Know-Where for like $3K & $2500. Considering thease things aren't exactly common, I think I did pretty well.

ChrisW6ATV
03-06-2014, 07:28 PM
Sandy, I am NOT going to say "I hate you!", but I will admit that I am very jealous. :) Congratulations on your nice new Christmas "toy".

If you can find Scott's Liquid Gold in a local hardware store, it is an excellent product for protecting furniture. It is a rub-on liquid you apply with cheese cloth. They may have a spray can also, but that version may not be any better than Pledge.

Eric H
03-06-2014, 09:03 PM
Congrats Sandy! :thmbsp:

When can we see some pictures?

ggregg
03-06-2014, 09:06 PM
photos please..............:yes:

Electronic M
03-07-2014, 12:07 AM
Sandy, "I hate yew. (Yosemite Sam esq.)"... :D

Congrats on your steal.

twbranch
03-07-2014, 02:26 AM
Photos?

Einar72
03-07-2014, 02:58 AM
Congrats!

hi_volt
03-07-2014, 07:22 AM
Congrats Sandy. This is one of the sets on my bucket list as well. Looking forward to seeing pix. Merry Christmas!

Username1
03-07-2014, 07:24 AM
Sandy, "I hate yew. (Yosemite Sam esq.)"...

This is the FIRST 621 I've seen that was WAY under a kilobuck, in nearly 20 yrs of looking & lusting.. There were a couple on You-Know-Where for like $3K & $2500. Considering thease things aren't exactly common, I think I did pretty well.

All that times 2 ! ! !

Happy Holidays to ya- ! ! !

I got a holiday gift to myself 2 years ago too, And old Emerson I had been looking for since I was a kid, got it in California off CL, also boxed like it could have survived being fire across country from a carnival cannon....

Again Happy Holidays to ya- ! !

egrand
03-07-2014, 08:26 AM
Sounds like not only was it a nice present to yourself, but a wise investment too. Good going!

Sandy G
03-07-2014, 07:12 PM
[QUOTE=ChrisW6ATV;3097380]Sandy, I am NOT going to say "I hate you!", but I will admit that I am very jealous. :)

Yeah, I guess I DESERVED that 'Un... But I HOPE everybody realizes that when I say that, I'm just horsin' around, pullin' yer Legs...It's ALWAYS gratifying to me when one of us saves an old veteran from the landfill, or Fish Tank Hell... And I was ALWAYS a big fan of Bugs Vs Yosemite Sam.. Sam was always SO "Over The Top", & Bugs always had him, coming or going... Those cartoons back then were technical, artistic, & story MASTERPIECES, I loved 'em when I was 5 or 6, & I STILL do as 56.. They DIDN'T try to sell you some stupid crap, preach or try to teach a lesson, they were just GREAT story telling & FUNNY. The Mighty Morphin Ninja Turdles should do so well..

Username1
03-07-2014, 09:15 PM
Hey... I liked the original Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles....

But you're right nothing beats the old cartoons....

ChrisW6ATV
03-11-2014, 12:48 AM
Sandy, I am NOT going to say "I hate you!"

I HOPE everybody realizes that when I say that, I'm just horsin' around, pullin' yer Legs...
Yes, I think people here know it is just your way of appreciating things. I certainly do. :)

Sandy G
03-11-2014, 08:37 AM
Yes, I think people here know it is just your way of appreciating things. I certainly do. :)

Danke Schoen ! I'll admit to being a bit jealous, too, for a couple reasons-1) I'll NEVER see any of the exotica a lot of you guys find. 2) 99.9% of you guys have 1000X the technical ability that I do. I NEVER had an "Elmer" to show me the ropes.

Username1
03-11-2014, 09:00 AM
Plug that sucker in already and lets see some picts !

Jon A.
03-11-2014, 11:41 AM
I'm guessing that Sandy doesn't have a digital camera, and if he does, he may not know how to use it. Lingering health issues preventing him from learning these things you see. I think he may have mentioned it on here before. Otherwise he'd be servicing these sets on his own.

BTW Sandy, don't try it until Terry goes over it.

Sandy G
03-11-2014, 11:53 AM
I'm guessing that Sandy doesn't have a digital camera, and if he does, he may not know how to use it. Lingering health issues preventing him from learning these things you see. I think he may have mentioned it on here before. Otherwise he'd be servicing these sets on his own.

BTW Sandy, don't try it until Terry goes over it.

Don't worry...I have NO INTENTIONS of "Tryin' 'er out" solo.. This, after all, isn't exactly just yr average, everyday, late '40s TV... This is a 621TS, sort of a "Holy Grail" type set... I consider myself VERY Lucky to have it, & intend on giving it the kind of loving treatment it deserves as a valuable artifact.. And you're right...The Stroke 10 yrs ago robbed me of my ability to grasp & retain "New" concepts, like learning about electronics. The SUPERFICIAL stuff like what it is, who made it & when, I still have THAT, but "Meaty" stuff on deciphering schematics & that sort of thing, may as well be written in Swahili..

Jon A.
03-11-2014, 02:39 PM
Oh yeah, I feel the same way about my '73 Chromacolor. I know that most want the Avanti version, but I figured if I were to get one I would want a not-too-ornate regular-style console cabinet. Trying it was one thing, but running it regularly without replacing the safety caps is asking for trouble, so until that happens, it stays off.