View Full Version : Toshiba hi-def CRT black bar

Jon A.
02-03-2014, 06:54 PM
I'm checking out this one for a co-worker. The bar in the picture comes and goes. Also, there's an intermittent vertical black space in the lower right that flickers too fast for me to get a picture. The darkness at the very top of the screen, just a camera artifact. Any idea what might be wrong?

Eric H
02-03-2014, 07:59 PM
I'm guessing this set uses some sort of digital processing before it gets to the screen, perhaps something is wrong in that area, like a bad video card in a computer.

I wonder if it would still be there is there was a signal connected to it?

I once saw a newer set at the thrifts that had a blank rectangle right in the center of the screen, I assume it was something similar wrong with that one.

Username1
02-03-2014, 08:47 PM
I guess if it can up-scan if that's a word, it may use Ram for temp storage, maybe it's bad, or a bad cap that is in it's PS. Check the internet, and youtube....

zeno
02-04-2014, 07:29 AM
I would suspect a little surface mount cap is bad & there are
tons of them in there. Try this.
Be SURE the closed captioning
is turned OFF it can do odd things on older sets including a
black box that comes & goes.
Open set & lightly poke around where any boards plug in.
You may get lucky there.
The set probably digitalizes the analog signal & everything goes
through a board with one or more huge surface mount IC's.
Odds are its on that. You can try freeze mist on the board a
very small area at a time. Also look for anything amiss there.
Just before we closed we had a 36' Sony CRT HDTV that
had a very similar problem but it acted up once a week.
We junked it. Boards are VERY expensive to gamble on.
Good luck

73 Zeno:smoke:

Jon A.
02-04-2014, 06:31 PM
I wonder if it would still be there is there was a signal connected to it?
Tried it with a signal this morning, so far so good. There was no way to switch video input via the front panel controls, so I tried the remote from mom's 14" Toshiba (in stasis, made around the same time) to switch to a composite input. The guy is going to take it. He has been saving for a hi-def set, and this one will cost him 15 bucks after his discount.

Please ignore the camera artifact.

lnx64
02-04-2014, 07:01 PM
I love these HD CRT's.. Very special to me for personal reasons..

I know it sounds stupid, but a HD CRT was the first TV I ever purchased new with my own money. So it's sentimental to me for dumb reasons.

TVTim
02-04-2014, 07:26 PM
I love these HD CRT's.. Very special to me for personal reasons..

I know it sounds stupid, but a HD CRT was the first TV I ever purchased new with my own money. So it's sentimental to me for dumb reasons.

Not a dumb reason at all.

I have a 20" NEC that I bought new in 1988. I will NEVER get rid of it for similar reason. It too was the first TV I bought new and it was around $300 in those days. Darn thing still has a great picture and wonderful STEREO sound.

TVTim
02-04-2014, 07:31 PM
Tried it with a signal this morning, so far so good. There was no way to switch video input via the front panel controls, so I tried the remote from mom's 14" Toshiba (in stasis, made around the same time) to switch to a composite input. The guy is going to take it. He has been saving for a hi-def set, and this one will cost him 15 bucks after his discount.

Fifteen bucks is a bargain and a half. A local TV repair shop has one similar and if it wasn't so heavy, it would be in my house.

DavGoodlin
02-05-2014, 06:22 AM

I have the Toshiba 30HF84, one year older built June 2004. Its the only HD set in the house and gets daily use. I stashed the OEM remote away and use a Sony RM-V310, where most of the features work, including the all-important video source. There are 6 sources including an HDMI
It was $25 at a second-hand store and weighs 88 pounds, about half a Sony HD CRT.
It has no issues to date and there is some content on the internet such as reviews but I have not seen any repair advice.

sampson159
02-05-2014, 09:12 AM
i like those crt hd sets too.i had a toshiba 30 inch and it was a workhorse.20 dollars at the thrift store and i used it for about 4 years in my garage before i gave it away.picture was excellent would love to score another one.

Jon A.
02-05-2014, 11:31 AM
I have the Toshiba 30HF84, one year older built June 2004. Its the only HD set in the house and gets daily use. I stashed the OEM remote away and use a Sony RM-V310, where most of the features work, including the all-important video source. There are 6 sources including an HDMI
I think the video sources were numbered 0-6, including HDMI. The remote I used was a Toshiba CT-878.