View Full Version : DLP TV black and white frozen screen

YamahaFreak
01-11-2014, 05:10 PM
(Thought I'd make a new thread to avoid derailing the original.)

This is an issue with the same Samsung HLN437W TV as before. Recently, the screen has been locking up in a weird, all black and white (two-tone, not grayscale!) screen. Sound and controls still work, and the only way to fix the problem is to restart the TV. I have been unable to figure out anything I or the set have been doing that might trigger it. Some days the set will run for hours and hours with no problems at all; tonight, the screen froze before it was running for five minutes.

Attached is a photo of the condition.

rcaman
01-11-2014, 10:49 PM
(Thought I'd make a new thread to avoid derailing the original.)

This is an issue with the same Samsung HLN437W TV as before. Recently, the screen has been locking up in a weird, all black and white (two-tone, not grayscale!) screen. Sound and controls still work, and the only way to fix the problem is to restart the TV. I have been unable to figure out anything I or the set have been doing that might trigger it. Some days the set will run for hours and hours with no problems at all; tonight, the screen froze before it was running for five minutes.

Attached is a photo of the condition.

dmd board is the problem

YamahaFreak
01-11-2014, 11:05 PM
dmd board is the problem

Can you elaborate? Is is possible to replace componentry on the board rather than the entire board? I just spent $50 to replace one board and would rather not spend that again to replace another unless it's absolutely the only way to fix the problem.

YamahaFreak
06-12-2014, 02:02 AM
This set is at it again. It went for months with absolutely no issue whatsoever, and now, it won't run at all for more than ten seconds without locking up. Much more chronic than before. Sometimes the screen won't come up at all (beyond stray light from the lamp on the mirror), sometimes the screen freezes B&W, and sometimes it just shuts the picture off. I'd really like to know exactly what and where the problem(s) is/are, so I can repair/replace and get that fantastic picture back. :headscrat

miniman82
06-12-2014, 03:43 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-DMD-BOARD-WITH-DLP-CHIP-S1272-0326-HLN437W-HLN507W-/251543500279?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

YamahaFreak
06-12-2014, 04:15 PM
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Samsung-DMD-BOARD-WITH-DLP-CHIP-S1272-0326-HLN437W-HLN507W-/251543500279?_trksid=p2054897.l4275

While I appreciate the link to the board, this is essentially the same answer I was given earlier. Is there no way to perform a component-level parts replacement on this board? Is the failed item an unobtainium, SMD, or otherwise unreplaceable IC, or could it just be a capacitor or two?

miniman82
06-13-2014, 12:34 PM
Good luck with that, you'll waste $1,000 of your time replacing a part on an $80 board. Nut up and buy it.

Eric H
06-13-2014, 01:08 PM
That board has thousands of surface mount parts, even in the unlikely event you could isolate the one bad component the chances of replacing it are slim, both from a parts standpoint and because it's microscopic surgery. All that stuff was installed by robots, while it is possible to replace a SMD in some cases it's not all that easy to do without damaging the board.

YamahaFreak
06-13-2014, 01:57 PM
Good luck with that, you'll waste $1,000 of your time replacing a part on an $80 board. Nut up and buy it.

It has nothing to do with 'nutting up' and everything to do with being jobless and having $180 in savings. I cannot afford anything that isn't free or close to it right now.

Eric's reply is exactly the sort of response I was looking for; he gave me an answer and a reason why.

YamahaFreak
08-07-2014, 04:36 AM
Looking at parts at this time. For clarification, is the problem with my set the DMD BOARD, or the DMD CHIP itself?

YamahaFreak
04-17-2015, 09:18 PM
I found a cheap DMD board with the DMD chip itself on that auction site (saved the new DMD as a spare, or if someone here needs it) and installed the board. The TV has been operating flawlessly for 48 hours now. :thmbsp: Once again, thanks much to all of you for your help and insight!