View Full Version : NOS RCA Console Television Set

Console User
12-27-2013, 04:53 PM
I had a friend of mine come to me the other day and asked if I would be interested in another Console TV. I thought I better not as I may have to find a new place to live. He said the owner claims it to be new and guranteed to work. They want $100.00 for it. What does anyone think on this?

I am assuming it must be a 1990's Model Console Set as this is about the time this place went out of business for the most part. He still does some business but not much. I thought maybe I was told the 1990's RCA Console Sets had some issues with solder joints on the main board unit?

Would the set have any damage from just setting around and not being used?

The best part about this is that this place is not far from my home.

zeno
12-27-2013, 05:21 PM
Value ? For me next to nothing unless it were a top-o-line
ultra modern set AND ran perfectly or had known minor problem.
Connection problems were in the CTC175, 176, 177, 185, 186, & 187.
No big deal, just need a steady hand & small iron that gets hot.They
came out abt 92 or 93 & made for quite a few years.
Aging not much of an issue if kept properly. Electrolytics may
suffer some but again usually no big deal.
Best RCA of that era was the CTC169. Could be tough to work on
but they were top line sets with an awesome pix. Never saw a bad
CRT in one.

73 Zeno:smoke:

davet753
12-28-2013, 09:09 AM
The mid 90's was RCA's "last hoorah" in the console market. I sold RCA sets in those days, and by 1995 they were down to a handful of console models, and in another year or so there were none. I agree with what Zeno said above, the CTC 169's were a great chassis (the ones that came after that, not so much). If I could find a NOS CTC169 console, I'd sure try to buy it :)

By the time I closed up shop in 1998, most of the brands I sold in the early 90's (RCA, Quasar, Magnavox/Crosley) had completely phased out console models. Zenith was about the only line I sold that kept on producing console models in any number. After 1990, Zenith has the biggest line-up of consoles on the market; far outnumbering any of their competitors.

radiotvnut
12-28-2013, 12:34 PM
I think Zenith always had a history of catering to the older crowd. They were the last ones to offer a B&W console and a 23" color console, both available into the early '80's. I know that Zenith offered color consoles at least into the early 2000's.

Personally, I'd have a hard time paying that much for a '90's console, even if it is NOS.

davet753
12-28-2013, 04:47 PM
After 1990, the majority of consoles available were rather contemporary styled models. In addition to having the largest line of consoles, Zenith also kept on producing a good choice of traditionally styled cabinets along with the contemporary stuff (swivel bases and the like). Zenith also offered a choice in finishes on some models as late as 1994.

Zenith's cabinetry was also a bit better than their competitors in the 90's, but that's not saying much. By the time console production was ending, most sets looked like they were made of wood chips held together with spit and covered with wood grain wallpaper.

coppercity
12-29-2013, 10:23 AM
I have an RCA from mid 2001 and it has a really nicely built cabinet, for what it is, all pressboard. If the set is sealed in it's box, I might pay $100, but anything less max of $50, If I really really wanted it.