View Full Version : 15 inch Rectangular CRT that used a gun like a 21FJ

walterbeers
12-16-2013, 05:56 PM
Has anyone else ever seen such an animal. Many, many years ago I worked on a Sears table model color that was a 15 inch? rectangular set that had a 70 degree CRT that used the large gun assembly similar to a roundie 21FJ/21FBP22. I believe it was Japanese made and remember thinking it was quite unique. Of course that was at least 25-30 years ago. Repaired it and sent it on it's way and have never seen one like it since. Wonder what model it was, who made it, and are there any still around today. I'd love to get a hold of one of those.

jr_tech
12-16-2013, 06:13 PM
One mentioned here:
http://www.videokarma.org/showpost.php?p=3059590&postcount=11
jr

mstaton
12-16-2013, 08:34 PM
I had a chance to buy one recently but the lady never responded back. Typical Craigslist flakes

earlyfilm
12-16-2013, 09:55 PM
Has anyone else ever seen such an animal. Many, many years ago I worked on a Sears table model color that was a 15 inch? rectangular set that had a 70 degree CRT that used the large gun assembly similar to a roundie 21FJ/21FBP22. I believe it was Japanese made . . . . Wonder what model it was, who made it, and are there any still around today. I'd love to get a hold of one of those.

I owned one! Bought it new in 1965 to watch the space shots in color. It was a 16 inch and the first low priced set with a rectangular CRT and I hated the round color sets.

http://earlytelevision.org/21_inch_color.html#sears

It is the top two pictures in the 1960 year window.

All hand wired, except for the setup board. This was the most trouble free tube TV that I have ever owned! It was in daily use through the late 1970s and was a backup set through the late 1990s, but when I tested it in about 2002, the sync had grown unstable and I stoopidly thought money would be better invested in a new set and hauled it to the junk yard.

Jas.

Telecruiser
12-16-2013, 10:21 PM
As I recall, those were built by Toshiba and sold by Sears. I had one in the late 1960's and it made a great picture. If memory serves me, the chassis was fairly similar to an RCA CTC-10.

jr_tech
12-16-2013, 11:06 PM
The jug was reported to be a 400KB22... 400 converts to 15.75 inches. Would that have been the external diagonal dimension of the faceplate panel, or that of the actual picture size?... or perhaps some other dimension?

jr

ChrisW6ATV
12-17-2013, 02:56 AM
At that time, it should have been the diagonal size of the glass exterior.

Jon A.
12-17-2013, 08:24 AM
I owned one! Bought it new in 1965 to watch the space shots in color. It was a 16 inch and the first low priced set with a rectangular CRT and I hated the round color sets.

http://earlytelevision.org/21_inch_color.html#sears

It is the top two pictures in the 1960 year window.
WOW, there's something I never expected to hear from an older member.

Now there's an early tube color set I wouldn't mind having one of.

dieseljeep
12-17-2013, 08:39 AM
As I recall, those were built by Toshiba and sold by Sears. I had one in the late 1960's and it made a great picture. If memory serves me, the chassis was fairly similar to an RCA CTC-10.

I understand the CRT was also used in some Conrac monitors.
There was a rebuilder in Milwaukee, that used to re-gun those CRT's. They were getting those CRT's shipped in from several surrounding states, as they seemed to be one of the few rebuilders the did them.

kx250rider
12-17-2013, 11:29 AM

Yes. I've had a couple of Toshibas with that tube; I think it's a 400EDB22. I've also seen one Sharp portable with that tube in it, IIRC.

Charles

earlyfilm
12-17-2013, 12:04 PM
Bought it new in 1965 . . . . I hated the round color sets.

WOW, there's something I never expected to hear from an older member.

I do not and I don't know of any other photographer/cameraman who likes to see their pictures cropped!

For the record:
Before junking the set in 2002, I went to my former parts supplier in Dayton to purchase the sync tube and the horiz osc tube along with capacitors to recap that section and was told that they could not supply the two tubes because they were no longer being made.

I knew nothing of this hobby at the time nor of the non-mainstream parts sources.

James

dieseljeep
12-17-2013, 01:01 PM
I do not and I don't know of any other photographer/cameraman who likes to see their pictures cropped!

For the record:
Before junking the set in 2002, I went to my former parts supplier in Dayton to purchase the sync tube and the horiz osc tube along with capacitors to recap that section and was told that they could not supply the two tubes because they were no longer being made.

I knew nothing of this hobby at the time nor of the non-mainstream parts sources.

James
You should've tried Sears parts. They might still have some in stock. :D

old_tv_nut
12-17-2013, 01:16 PM
I do not and I don't know of any other photographer/cameraman who likes to see their pictures cropped!...
James

It's been discussed here before - the cropping of the round tubes hid a lot of bad corner effects produced by the early TK-41 cameras. By the mid 60's, improved precision IMOs and yokes were producing much better results as evidenced in the surviving tapes from the New York World's Fair RCA pavilion. But earlier stuff like the Bell Telephone Hour can be pretty ugly.

[Note: this is a term from the oxymoronic picture rating scale:
1) Pretty
2) Ugly
3) Pretty Ugly ]

walterbeers
12-17-2013, 02:54 PM
jr_tech hit the nail on the head. That's the exact model that I remember working on. Wish I could find one of those today in or around the Omaha, NE area. Would love to restore one to working condition. I doubt that there are many around anymore though.

Steve D.
12-17-2013, 10:16 PM
Yes. I've had a couple of Toshibas with that tube; I think it's a 400EDB22. I've also seen one Sharp portable with that tube in it, IIRC.

Charles

Hey Charles,

I recall buying two of those sets from you, table model version. They were stacked one atop the another in your garage in West L.A. This was years & years ago. I kept them for a while and don't remember how I finally disposed of them.

-Steve D.

kx250rider
12-18-2013, 11:33 AM
Hey Charles,

I recall buying two of those sets from you, table model version. They were stacked one atop the another in your garage in West L.A. This was years & years ago. I kept them for a while and don't remember how I finally disposed of them.

-Steve D.

I remember those two sets, but they were Panasonic or Sanyo-built with the Singer brand. They had small-neck 19" CRTs with external safety glass, if I recall. Not the fat neck.

Charles

Electronic M
12-18-2013, 07:48 PM
IIRC there was some talk of possibly using those tubes in 15GP22 based sets.

I'd love to have one of those sets.

earlyfilm
12-19-2013, 12:19 PM
IIRC there was some talk of possibly using those tubes in 15GP22 based sets.

That's news to me, but those sets give a very good color, soft and life like picture!

Well, I missed out on the CT-100 and the 15GP4, as those were almost gone by the time I graduated to color and an older tech got them. However since I owned a CBS 205 that I had cobbled together from three junked chassis, I inherited all of those that came in to the shop.

I've only seen two TV sets that gave almost as good a picture as I saw on a studio monitor and they were the CBS 205 and Toshiba/Sears. The CBS was junked when the last of my two 19VP22's went to air.

Never in my life have I walked into a store and bought a TV immediately except for that once when I saw that Toshiba at Sears!

You know, with the CBS, you spent more time working on the thing than watching it, but with the Toshiba, they just kept running.

James

Electronic M
12-19-2013, 02:48 PM
Shame you junked that CBS, those are quite valuable now.

Jon A.
12-19-2013, 08:27 PM
I hear ya. My camera is on me at all times.

grimer
12-31-2013, 02:14 PM
I understand the CRT was also used in some Conrac monitors.
I have a Conrac monitor with that crt,my crt is marked Hitachi.This monitor was mfd in 1962,and has had a rough life,it
survived a house fire,and then sat in the burned house for some time.When I got it,it was encased in ice.The saftey glass was smashed so I removed it.I removed the face plate for a sandblast/repaint.The rest survived because it is made of aluminum.The crt tests great,and it does show a dim raster.I would sell to anyone interested in the whole unit,or needs the crt.
http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff289/grimer66/con01_zps5f6af02f.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/grimer66/media/con01_zps5f6af02f.jpg.html)

http://i242.photobucket.com/albums/ff289/grimer66/con02_zps1678f4f9.jpg (http://s242.photobucket.com/user/grimer66/media/con02_zps1678f4f9.jpg.html)

6GH8cowboy
01-01-2014, 12:13 PM
Rather spartan looking but I'm quite certain it was absurdly expensive in its day. I remember seeing some of these at a local station once but not in service. Late 60s I think. The only reason I remember was because of the smaller screen size still with the big neck.

dieseljeep
01-01-2014, 01:50 PM
Regarding the Hitachi branding of the Conrac CRT, Toshiba, might have bought the CRT's from Hitachi, or vice-versa.
IIRC, the first three years of the Zenith roundies, had RCA CRT's in them.