View Full Version : Excellent 8 track Mueseum!

Dude111
12-12-2013, 09:52 PM
http://eighttrackmuseum.com

That is amazing!!!!

Its always wonderful seeing @ least 1 person so interested in a format they are willing to goto extremes like this :)

THERE ARE NOT MANY OF US OUT HERE!!

Here is an article about them (Long): www.collectorsweekly.com/articles/god-save-the-eight-track

If thats not enough for ya,here is an excellent documentary! (It is also long)

www.youtube.com/v/B7nva7meVv0

Jon A.
12-12-2013, 11:44 PM
You're into them as well? Cool! :thmbsp:

I need more tapes. There's something my shop doesn't get many of. Oh yeah, I want a component recording deck too. The only players I have are car stereos.

Dude111
12-13-2013, 06:34 AM
Thats all I have heard them on I believe!!! (I think hooking them into a tuner with good bass would produce excellent results!)

Username1
12-13-2013, 09:38 AM
Ha-ha-ha... That's pretty funny.... an 8-track museum.....

Well I guess then I can still have hopes of an Elcaset museum one day.....

walterbeers
12-13-2013, 02:14 PM
I still have a bunch of 8 tracks and a player that still work. Once in a while, I'll slip one in and listen to it just for the fun of it. Always hated it when one part of a song was on the first track and then it had to switch to the second track to hear the rest. My Sound Design also will record 8 tracks as well. Not sure if the record function still works, but probably does.

Dude111
12-14-2013, 03:27 AM
Yes I dont know why they did that!! (Have the song cut off between tracks) they should have left that part of the tape BLANK so that didnt happen! (Like with cassettes)

Electronic M
12-14-2013, 01:50 PM
There is a three way trade off...Either have long dead spots (which can make one think the tape has been eaten), put songs on two tracks (which ticks off people who don't want their song interrupted) which is not so bad if there is no fade and your track change mech. is close to the recording co's, or shuffle the track order of the album to eliminate the other two (which may also bother some).

Occasionally there seems to be no trade off as an artist planned song run times to split the track list easily into four equal parts.

pac.attack76
01-19-2014, 03:34 AM
I have a console stereo with 8-track. I also have a Hitachi deck with eject and record with vu meters and the there are both of my cars which have 8-track in them. A 76 Lincoln Mark IV and a 79 Lincoln Mark V. I have several tapes including The Grass Roots, CCR, Elvis, Bad Company, Pink Floyd, and Led Zeppelin.

Dude111
12-04-2014, 12:22 PM
Ha-ha-ha... That's pretty funny.... an 8-track museum..... Dont ya think its pretty awesome someone would dedicate a whole mueseum to these wonderful analogue units?

A couple months ago I was @ my friends shop and he was fixing an 8 track player..... MAN DID IT SOUND GOOD!!!! (I hadnt heard an 8 track since the early 80s)

I DO LOVE ANALOG!!!!!!!

walterbeers
12-04-2014, 08:42 PM
Nice thing about 8 tracks is that they are really easy to repair. About the only thing that goes wrong with them is the belt. With age, they would turn to mush, or get warped out of shape with non use. Occasionally though a sticky cam that moved the tape head up and down, a dirty tape head, and sometimes the tape would be wound up around the capstan. Unless something goes wrong in the electronics like a bad cap, the machines are quite durable.

Eric H
12-06-2014, 02:47 PM
I still have some of my 8-Track tapes from when I was a teen, I also like to pick up any oddball players I happen to find, like this Sears from the 70's in Avocado Green. :yes:

The biggest problem with 8-Track is they put the pinch roller inside the cartridge where the cheap rubber (or even plastic) tire rides on a plastic shaft.

The earlier 4-Track players had the roller as part of the machine with precision bronze bushings and metal shafts, it was far more accurate but cost more to make and you had to manually engage the roller, once again cheap and convenience won out over quality, oh well, it's all moot now I guess.

magnasonic66
12-06-2014, 03:21 PM
It's great too, when the rubber roller in the cartridge turns to sludge. :tears::no::sigh::thumbsdn: I had some great cartridges years back that I gave away because I didn't think I'd use them. The few I have now are staying. I have two or three recorders, and hopefully two usable players, one hit the floor in storage, and don't look so good no more, probably don't work neither. :P

Jon A.
12-06-2014, 07:50 PM
My Sansui receiver/amp gets almost no use. I would use it a lot more often if I had a component 8-track deck.

Most console stereos with 8-track are ugly and cheaply made, so I can't be bothered with them.

centralradio
12-08-2014, 10:57 AM
I have plenty of 8track players and recorders here along with truckloads of tapes.

At the time they came out I was not crazy about them because of the low-fi muddy sound they have and no rewind feature.

They worked great for background music or announcements.

To bad they could not enhance the sound out of them with the small head gap the heads have and use better grade tapes.

Has anybody modify the decks for better sound and also try loading better quality tape grade like chrome FeCr ,ETC tape in the cartridge and tweek the bias settings and and record some tests.

Electronic M
12-08-2014, 12:38 PM
Some 8-track tape releases sound as good as the Vinyl or later CD releases. There are two things that contribute to that: Later tapes with the Dolby emblem on them tend to have superior quality to the earlier tapes, and having a good player. I have a 3M/Wolensac (spelling?) 8-track deck with built in Dolby NR circuitry, and there are only a few others I've heard that approach it's sound quality.

Eric H
12-08-2014, 01:49 PM
Theres no real reason 8-track tapes can't sound decent, At 3.75 inches per second it's about half the speed of a good reel to reel recording but twice as fast as the Compact Cassette, the main limitation was the mediocre nature of 98% of the players, that and the wow & flutter introduced by the crummy cartridges.

If you take the tape out and play it on a reel to reel it sounds quite good.

Dude111
12-09-2014, 12:27 AM
No 8 track tape is excellent!!!

My WOODSTOCK 69 records were originally recorded on 8 track tape Eric! (Then they were transferred to MASTER RECORDS then millions of copies were made)

Last week I finally saw the 2 cassettes of woodstock 69 (salvation army) but the cassettes WERE COMPROMISED!! (They are SR recordings (Spectral recording (Which to me sound like crap)))