View Full Version : Samsung CRT - jacks not working

TVTim
12-11-2013, 06:05 PM
Okay, so my trusty Samsung 25" which is about 11 years old is finally having a small issue.

Neither the front or rear RCA jacks are working. It keeps telling me to hook up the component to the jacks, but they are connected.

My DVD/VCR combo that has been hooked up for several years will only show a scrambled signal and the same thing happens when I hook up another unit to the front jacks.

Any suggestion folks?

Electronic M
12-11-2013, 06:18 PM
Double check your sources on a different tv to make sure the fault is in the tv.

TVTim
12-11-2013, 07:24 PM
Double check your sources on a different tv to make sure the fault is in the tv.

Thats the thing. I tried two different DVD players and a game console..........nothing.

Right after I posted this, I tried again and nothing.

Then, I switched out the cable, replacing the one that has been untouched for years, and it works! Go figure.

I put the "defective" cable on my Trinitron and the cable works. Weirdest thing. Gotta love electronics.

Celt
12-11-2013, 08:08 PM
Had the same thing happen a few years ago with the component cables from my Pioneer DVD player to my 25" JVC. The cables which never were moved or touch suddenly went "bad". I exchanged cables and all was well. I gave the old cables to a friend and he used them without any problem! :dunno:

Electronic M
12-11-2013, 10:48 PM
Some AV cables develop intermittent opens that only happen if the cable is bent JUST right...It can make faults in a complex AV system tough to locate.

Dangler
12-11-2013, 11:56 PM
Oxidation.

Chip Chester
12-12-2013, 08:05 AM
The simple act of removing and replacing the cable in the same jack it started in is usually enough to clear the problem. Maybe do it twice for good measure. But caution, be advised it may fail to conduct again in another ten years. :)

Chip

Jon A.
12-12-2013, 10:04 AM
I ordered a cheap cable to hook up my new (to me) monitor; it caused image ghosting problems. Who knows, it may have worked fine in another system. Too late to find out now, but who cares, I got a few more cables at my thrift shop cheap.

TVTim
12-12-2013, 01:15 PM
Just so odd that it works great for years, is not moved but the cable poops out.

Dude111
12-12-2013, 01:24 PM
Im glad ya got it working buddy :)

TVTim
12-12-2013, 04:59 PM
Im glad ya got it working buddy :)

Thanks!