View Full Version : My First Post

lemke
12-03-2013, 09:53 PM
Hello,

I have been reading this and other forums for a while - I have always been interested in vintage TV sets. I also love mechanical TV.
Right now, I am slowly restoring a pilot TV 37.

I have three tubes - but I will not know if they work until I get the units running - I do have the green tube that does work just for testing.

Please excuse me if this has been posted before - but if you know about this TV - then you know finding a good used or dare I say - NOS 3KP4 is next to impossible. BUT I have found a place that says they will rebuild, and re-phosphor a 3KP4.

Here is the site: http://www.wmicronics.com/rebuilttubes.htm

I have not priced them - If I luck out - perhaps one of my CRTs will work.

Eric H
12-03-2013, 09:56 PM
This place has come up time and again and as far as anyone has been able to find out it's completely bogus.

Sandy G
12-03-2013, 09:56 PM
Nice t'have ya ! Welcome !

TVTim
12-03-2013, 10:46 PM
Welcome. Great first post.

David Roper
12-03-2013, 10:54 PM
Eric is right, Western Micronics was a scam from the word go. I wonder who's paying to keep the lights on at their webpage...and why.

lemke
12-03-2013, 11:06 PM
This place has come up time and again and as far as anyone has been able to find out it's completely bogus.

Well, that is disappointing - thanks for the info.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

John

vts1134
12-04-2013, 06:58 AM
I wonder who's paying to keep the lights on at their webpage...and why.

:scratch2: Yea, me too :scratch2:

Eric H
12-04-2013, 10:35 AM
Well, that is disappointing - thanks for the info.

Thanks for making me feel welcome.

John

Sorry, I should have said welcome to VK!

Welcome to VK! :wave:

holmesuser01
12-04-2013, 01:04 PM
The last time I was in downtown Seneca, SC, I went looking for this business. Never found this CRT rebuilder.

Look at the webpage. It's dated 2006.

EDIT: Welcome to VK! We try to be nice around here. There's a lot of knowledge here too!!

kvflyer
12-04-2013, 03:45 PM
Hello and welcome to VideoKarma. Lots of good information here. I am envious that you have a Pilot TV-37. But I am glad that you have it. If you get a chance, pictures would certainly be appreciated.

Cheers Mate,

Sandy G
12-04-2013, 03:57 PM
I'm NOT nice. In fact, I'm likely the most baleful, cranky, disagreeable old pharte you'll ever meet...But if you like ol' TVs I'll TRY to be nice. Maybe.

holmesuser01
12-04-2013, 04:13 PM
I'm NOT nice. In fact, I'm likely the most baleful, cranky, disagreeable old pharte you'll ever meet...But if you like ol' TVs I'll TRY to be nice. Maybe.

Yes, SandyG is evil. I've never met him, but.... We know some of the same people.

I, on the other hand, am a nice guy. :yes: :blah:

I, too, am envious of your Pilot TV. I love these little guys. :yes:

Bruce

Sandy G
12-05-2013, 09:11 PM
The Pilot was the 1st TV under $100..I think they sold for like $99.95 or $99.98...Which was still a LOT of money back then...They were marketed to well-off college students, & as 2nd set.. But they must have sold a Blue Jillion of 'em, judging by the number of survivors around today.. Mine has the "Green" CRT, but that's all right..I still ASTOUND visitors to the Casa De Sandy/Ships' Radio Room with it..

kvflyer
12-06-2013, 08:43 AM

+1...

Just kidding! ;)

holmesuser01
12-06-2013, 02:36 PM
Sandy G...

Is your Pilot set a series string, too?

Series sets were the ones I liked the least, because 98% of my tube stash was 6V filament stuff.

decojoe67
12-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome to the Forum!
I may interest some to know that although $99.50 for the set in 1948 sounds fairly cheap, it would be like spending almost $950 on an item in today.
The Pilot TV-37 is one of the best vintage TV's. Not only is unique and historically significant, but it's a great little player when restored!
I regrettably sold my first one years ago (with the original magnifier may I add!:tears:) and recently found another with a nearly NOS quality original CRT. I power this onet up with Variac to help ensure a long life for the CRT.
Good luck with yours!

Sandy G
12-06-2013, 07:42 PM
Sandy G...

Is your Pilot set a series string, too?

Series sets were the ones I liked the least, because 98% of my tube stash was 6V filament stuff.

I THINK so, Bruce...Been a LONG time since I had the case off it..

Electronic M
12-06-2013, 08:23 PM
I power this onet up with Variac to help ensure a long life for the CRT.
Good luck with yours!

There is an old thread on ARF on how some solid state voltage limiting devices can be used to prevent over voltage on the CRT filament. IIRC they make it worse for the other tubes, but which would you rather try to find a replacement for.

dtvmcdonald
12-06-2013, 09:01 PM
I recently restored a Pilot TV-37, my first
full restore job on a TV. The part you want to put across
the CRT filament is a 1.5KE8.2CA They are very common.
Mine came from Mouser, part
#576-1.5KE8.2CA