View Full Version : RCA TR-70 still in a crate!

Dave A
11-22-2013, 11:51 PM
I was at a broadcasters banquet tonight and started hearing a story from some of my local engineering friends about one of us having found a RCA TR-70 quad still in a packing crate. Best guess is 1974 vintage. I talked to the finder and he confirmed the story. It was found by him looking at other old broadcast equipment and it was thrown in to get it out of the way. Not picked up yet but soon. He thinks it is a B model. I do not know if it has a head assembly.

He agreed to let me photograph the event as it happens but no time frame yet. Another engineer has agreed to take it in to replace an Ampex quad that is being used as a donor for another Ampex that he just got working. I donated a 1972 quad tape for him to use for testing and he gave me a MiniDV copy of that show tonight from the Ampex. A quick look says the Ampex is just fine. Now the RCA will move in. Condition is unknown but he has all the expertise and facilities to get it going. The story may change as the facts become known.

Stay tuned.

egrand
11-23-2013, 11:16 AM
Sounds pretty cool. Looking forward to seeing it. That would have been a pretty expensive piece of equipment to leave unused and crated up all this time. Wonder what the back story is on it.

TVTim
11-23-2013, 02:33 PM
I love stuff like this.