View Full Version : Zenith bad vert out transformer

DaveWM
11-18-2013, 08:25 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mWmJkgrebQo

This is the almost done video of a zenith that started acting up (vert started to go nutz and finally went away completely.

Bottom line was a bad transformer which I think I have a mental block about checking them (always want it to be something else).

Typical zenith, pretty much all orig parts. This era set rarely needs caps, even the metal can electros are often fine. I post this as a reminder that "recap R us" is not the number one way to fix sets from the mid 1960's. I think the 1960 era sets actually are the LEST likely set in need of recapping since they are mostly tube, which tend to use film caps that by then where getting pretty well made (no more paper). Later sets from the solid state era use a LOT of electros in the coupling stages, and I think those being chemical in nature are more likely to have problems, and since there are so many more of them, there is a greater chance of having a cap related failure. Just one of the reasons I try to avoid SS sets.

DaveWM
11-20-2013, 06:51 PM
Good news, got the vert out in, reinstalled the chassis, pic looking good. I will post a done video soon. I must have 30+ color sets and so far this is only the second vert out that needed replacement, hopefully the rest of my collection stays healthy.