View Full Version : A new arrival..

Boobtubeman
11-18-2013, 01:29 AM
Just picked this off of CL and need some info on it. It has a brightener on it, looks like a metal tube as well. Has sound and pic, Needs a cap job :)

All input welcome. Cant find a tube chart, need info on CRT, looks to be 17"..

SR

bandersen
11-18-2013, 02:18 AM
That cabinet looks like it's in excellent condition :thmbsp: I think it's a Motorola 17T5D (or E) which used a 17CP4 metal CRT

http://new.tvhistory.tv/search/viewprod/id/505/man/171/era/2.html

dieseljeep
11-18-2013, 09:14 AM
That cabinet looks like it's in excellent condition :thmbsp: I think it's a Motorola 17T5D (or E) which used a 17CP4 metal CRT

http://new.tvhistory.tv/search/viewprod/id/505/man/171/era/2.html

Close, but no cigar!
Those Motorola's used a 17TP4, Electrostatic focus CRT.
Several years ago, I picked up a small console Motorola with a bad 17TP4.
I installed a 17CP4 and made up mounting brackets for a PM focalizer, out of pipe strapping. The set wasn't worth much, anyway.
I hated metal cone CRT's, as they were hard to sub with a glass tube. :sigh:

47'Plymouth
11-18-2013, 12:08 PM
I've got one storage just like built in 51'
The Bakelite cabinet is mint like yours no cracks
Nor scratches

kramden66
11-18-2013, 01:11 PM
that's the night of the living dead type tv , had two , still have one that is wasting away and its console companion , the type I have are the ones that use 17BP4 so not metal crts , they do have nice pictures when restored.

mike

bandersen
11-18-2013, 01:20 PM
I was going off the service info in Riders vol 9. They show a 17CP4.

bars&tone
11-18-2013, 07:29 PM
Good-looking set. The TV certainly has some interesting knobs on it.:thmbsp:

Boobtubeman
11-18-2013, 09:25 PM
CRT looks to be a 17TP4 Chassis has TS-326-A and a 3M52 stamped on the CRT and chassis.

Any papers or links??

SR

dieseljeep
11-19-2013, 12:43 PM
I should know better, but I'm going by memory. The chassis you're referring to might be the little better model with the full power transformer and the 5U4.
The model I was referring was either the series set, with the voltage doubler or the heater transformer parallel set. :yes:
I'll look at Riders #9.

bandersen
11-19-2013, 12:52 PM
I see it's chassis TS-326A which makes yours a model 17T7 that's covered in Rider #10. It is indeed a series set with 17TP4 CRT :)

dieseljeep
11-19-2013, 01:23 PM
I see it's chassis TS-326A which makes yours a model 17T7 that's covered in Rider #10. It is indeed a series set with 17TP4 CRT :)

I just knew, You'd see eye to eye with me! :D
How many hobbyists could that involved with trivia. :scratch2:

bandersen
11-19-2013, 02:23 PM
Having a hard copy of the Riders TV model index and the full scanned set on DVD helps ;)

dieseljeep
11-19-2013, 07:27 PM
Having a hard copy of the Riders TV model index and the full scanned set on DVD helps ;)
I just inherited a whole set of Riders. I would really like the DVD scans. The books are rather cumbersome, but are easy to read. A lot of times, the scans lack a bit of clarity. :sigh:

dieseljeep
11-20-2013, 01:06 PM

I looked up the Motorola in the Riders vol 9. It's a series string, voltage doubler design.
There is a focus coil and a real novel way of exciting it. It's connected across the voltage doubling cap, before the selenium rectifiers. I never saw it done that way. :scratch2:

Electronic M
11-20-2013, 07:13 PM
So there is AC going to the focus coil?

dieseljeep
11-21-2013, 09:49 AM
So there is AC going to the focus coil?

125 VDC is found at that point. It is dependent on the negative part of the AC sine wave. :scratch2:

Boobtubeman
11-24-2013, 12:22 AM
Meanwhile... still on the fence weather to keep it or dump it :)

SR

Tubejunke
11-24-2013, 12:56 AM
I bought an identical set at an antique mall about 6 years ago. It was a series string set with a 17" all glass C.R.T. and luckily it played fine as bought. There was a guy (I forget his screen name) who had an ad in the classifieds that he was searching the country for this particular set and was having no luck finding one. He said that he didn't care about the condition other than decent cosmetics and the reason that he wanted it was that he was part of some fan club of a television show that I believe was called The Room. Some Twilight Zone type of show about a motel room where perhaps time stood still if I recollect his description correctly.

Supposedly he was recreating the set of this show in his home and this was the TV that was used. Must be nice to have such extravagant hobbies! So, I contacted him and sent him a picture and he and a partner drove from Massachusetts to a few miles short of North Carolina in like one day sharing the drive around the clock to meet me in a Sheetz parking lot with about $300 as a finders fee for my set.

On top of that they were nice enough to go long out of their way west into Maryland to pick up a C.R.T. that I desperately needed for my long time owned 56 Philco that a fellow V-K member had and deliver it in one piece to me!! This is an unbelievable story, but very true. I actually still have an identical set only with the wood cabinet that worked for about an hour before a large resistor started boiling and the video went kaput. I unplugged it and never have had a chance to do anything with it. Point being that they must have been pretty well made sets as both of mine were nearly plug and play. The series string is a bummer of course and I had, or may have schematics on these sets. I don't recollect any reference to metal cone C.R.Ts though.

I can look around for the schematic if it will help or if anyone wants the set, it is pictured in my post about a year ago in the classifieds. I think it was titled, "Must part with vintage TV and radio collection." Check it out....

Rcr1961
11-24-2013, 05:20 PM
I have the same set but with a wooden cabinet, has ts326 chassis, works great and it is my daily watcher. I would prefer a bakelite cabinet so, if you ever decide to dump your set, I would be interested in buying the cabinet.
You should consider restoring it, the chassis is easy to work on, probably one of the quickest tv restores I've done !.

Bob

Phil Nelson
11-24-2013, 06:46 PM
a television show that I believe was called The Room.The Lost Room, a mini-series. Quite entertaining:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0830361/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Phil Nelson

Tubejunke
11-25-2013, 01:16 AM
Yep, that's the show he was basing his dupe on. Too bad the link didn't show the set. In a way I wish I had kept the set because it was nearly in mint condition and I love un-restored survivors. The set had one of the crispest pictures I have ever seen. But the offer was one that I would have been a fool to refuse, especially with the help getting my C.R.T. for my Philco which I just switched off after a second episode of Naked City. As for the Motorola and it's great picture, I guess I should dig out the wooden case version and throw some caps in it. Should be the same performance.

47'Plymouth
11-25-2013, 07:38 AM
Mines in "a Mint condition Bakelite"cabinet
But I need a new CRT the original has a Brightener
Plug in it test bad need to replace it

bandersen
11-25-2013, 12:52 PM
Here's a still from the "Lost Room" showing the Motorola.

http://www.the-medium-is-not-enough.com/images/TheLostRoom.jpg

Tubejunke
11-25-2013, 11:53 PM
Here's a still from the "Lost Room" showing the Motorola.

http://www.the-medium-is-not-enough.com/images/TheLostRoom.jpg

Um, that led me to an Amazon page selling Motorola cellular phones. Thanks anyway though for trying.

Tubejunke
11-26-2013, 12:07 AM
Mines in "a Mint condition Bakelite"cabinet
But I need a new CRT the original has a Brightener
Plug in it test bad need to replace it

I see you are located in South Carolina. I am on the Virginia/Carolina border, pretty close to Greensboro, Winston-Salem etc. If you want the wooden cased twin to that set with the same exact chassis and C.R.T., perhaps we can figure out a way that you can get my set. I need a good NON DIGITAL oscilloscope if you happen to have one for trade.:scratch2:

I remember a nice, bright raster several years ago when I last fired it up, but I had no C.R.T. tester back then. I do now, so I could verify 100% for you. No brightener for sure and it wasn't far from working, or really did work for an hour or so, but I didn't even do a slow start. I think someone replaced the Selenium rectifiers with germanium diodes if memory serves me correctly. Also, I think it has a copper chassis, or copper clad if that makes sense. I've seen a few sets that have this copper look, but I'm not sure of the true make up of the metal.

Just a thought as I don't really have a use for the set other than it being an interesting a good looking part of my collection that I am trying to downsize

bandersen
11-26-2013, 12:21 AM
Um, that led me to an Amazon page selling Motorola cellular phones. Thanks anyway though for trying.

That's Videokarma adding a link to the Motorola keyword - not me.

http://www.videokarma.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=165770&d=1259993149

For some reason the website hosting the Moto TV image doesn't like being linked here. Perhaps because it was uploaded previously by me in this thread (http://www.videokarma.org/showthread.php?t=246633) ?

Kamakiri
11-26-2013, 05:30 AM
Yup, that's why. Usually the site will tell you that you've already uploaded the pic, and give you a link to it in your "reply to post" screen, so that you can link it in your new post.

Tubejunke
11-27-2013, 02:56 AM
Wow! Easy to see why the guy was so very determined to have my set. I mean there are often what one might call similar sets, but that is drop dead identical to what I sold him. Now that I look back, that and a similar but newer basket case Motorola are the only two Bakelite sets that I have ever owned, or seen for that matter other than in pictures here or elsewhere on the WWW.

The basket case I mention has an interesting story really. I always noticed a burned out building along the highway that stood that way for a number of years. One day I got a little adventurous and stopped my truck and entered the building. It turned out to be a restaurant that had to have been shut down for years before catching on fire. I say that because of the items left inside which were pretty much dated to the late 70s or maybe the early 80s.

The TV was what people would have watched as they ate their meal. Now I hope everyone doesn't hate me for what I am about to say, but this was a place that was left to the vagrants and everything of value to normal people was long taken out. TVs like this were still in service when this place was operating, but it would not have been something that the proprietors would have taken with them when the place shut down, nor after it burned. Anyway, I grabbed the TV and took it home. It was hardly worth the strength that it took to pick it up, but I remember stripping the C.R.T. and the rest of the tubes and scrapping the rest.

Really, there are a lot of old sets in abandoned buildings that I have ran across, but that is the only one that I ever grabbed. LOL, the others were too big like just up the road there is an old country house that has a color "roundie" sitting in a room upstairs, or at least it did 6 or 7 years ago..... I knew of a similar one in another town, but the building got demolished along with the roundie......

Boobtubeman
01-04-2014, 11:58 PM
That lost room pic shows the EXACT model i have here... right down to the knobs :D

SR

Tubejunke
01-06-2014, 10:54 PM
I'm glad I found that one guy who had no luck searching the country for one of those. Now if I can find someone who wants to give a few C notes for the wood cased version!

Boobtubeman
02-05-2014, 11:12 PM
Anyone have a scan of the schematic??

Better yet...... How does this sucker come apart?? Cant see chassis bolts.....

SR

Tubejunke
02-07-2014, 01:50 AM
I have the same set but with a wooden cabinet, has ts326 chassis, works great and it is my daily watcher. I would prefer a bakelite cabinet so, if you ever decide to dump your set, I would be interested in buying the cabinet.
You should consider restoring it, the chassis is easy to work on, probably one of the quickest tv restores I've done !.

Bob

The one that I sold for $300 was the Bakelite version as we discussed further in the thread was seen on the science fiction series. The one that I have left, like yours, is a wooden cabinet. I probably should get the old thing out and going as they must have been some really well engineered sets. Having the two and having both of them play off the bat was pretty impressive to me. I remember a REALLY crisp and clear picture on both sets and the weak link seems to be the sync section as either set could get a little jittery and require adjustment.

The wooden cabinet version that I still have was a little worse for wear than the other and it played for a few hours and the video went out. I remember a rather large carbon resistor that was boiling literally; yes it was so hot that there were bubbles coming out along the sides, so at the time being busy with the two of them, that one got put to the side and remains there. This has been 7 or 8 years ago and I remember being frustrated because that resistor was right near a mult-section electrolytic cap and it seemed like a sure fire thing that one of those would be bad, but I never found an odd reading using my analog ohm meter which used to be the general way of checking a larger value electrolytic. I was probably just wrong in my assumption and had no schematic. It was probably a wax/paper cap the whole time. Either way, it will probably be an easy fix if and when I decide to dig it out.

Someone has already done the germanium diode conversion (probably years ago being germanium), so I don't have to worry about that. I seem to remember about 3 really nasty looking power resistors that had degraded and chunks were falling off of them. I think they are just wire wound resistors with some kind of stucco type of junk on them. Probably among the nastiest looking electronic parts I have ever seen with their leads turning green and corroding. Anyway, they should probably go. And finally one of the two sets had yoke cover rot. I hope it was the one I got rid of, but I doubt it as it was in pristine condition.

Gosh, all this talk is making me want to dig the old thing out for a quick fix so the loving woman of the house can't talk about all the TVs that don't work. Heck, if they did she wouldn't watch them. It's sad to say, but true that she probably couldn't figure out HOW to use an old set. She's no 20-30 something that doesn't remember turret tuners, but she wouldn't know what to do if a set needed a horizontal or vertical hold adjustment. Hey, I wonder if that's why they ended up taking them off of TVs before they all went flat!?!?!? Too many people making warranty claims that sets were broken, so the designed a better circuit......

dieseljeep
02-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Anyone have a scan of the schematic??

Better yet...... How does this sucker come apart?? Cant see chassis bolts.....

SR

They might be part of the rubber feet. G*d, it's been a long time, since I worked on one! :scratch2: