View Full Version : Modern Pfanstiehl/Tetrad cartridges

radiotvnut
11-01-2013, 09:46 PM
I guess I'm going to have to add these modern Pfanstiehl knock-off Tetrad cartridges to the "do not buy" list. I just installed one in a 1980 Realistic stereo with a BSR changer and the output is distorted on both channels and it skips on many records. This is one of those cartridges that's not wired like an original Tetrad and you either have the reverse the white and black wires on the 4 wire harness or use the supplied harness for 3 wire configurations.

I remembered that I had another Pfanstiehl cartridge that I bought about six months ago for another project and never got around to installing it. So, I installed that one in the Realistic and it sounded worse and skipped worse than the first one.

The original cartridge had an intermittent left channel; but, sounded fine otherwise and did not skip.

This is the main reason why I'm starting to not like repairing record players. If you buy a NOS cartridge, it may not be worth a crap due to age and the new cartridges are often crap. BTW, both of these new cartridges are marked as being made in the USA; which, is a real disappointment.

Oh, and a few months ago, I had a recently made Pfanstiehl cartridge lose it's right channel; so, it's getting to the point where I'm not impressed with newer cartridges. I guess they figure that these are going into cheap stereo systems that 90 year old ladies with bad hearing will be using to listen to worn out 101 strings LP's on and won't notice the crappy quality; but, they need to stop making these cartridges if they can't do any better than that.

I could exchange the cartridge for another one; but, I have an idea that the new one wouldn't be any better (since I've now installed two new ones that are crap).

Celt
11-02-2013, 05:12 PM
Just another reason to mount up a magnetic cart and add a cheap phono preamp to the units.
The AT3600 is less than $20 and is happy tracking in the 2 to 6 gram range.

Geoff Bourquin
11-02-2013, 05:38 PM
I wonder about hum pickup using a magnetic cartridge in a TT designed for a ceramic cartridge. Many years ago I put a magnetic in my old Zenith changer, and had trouble with the cartridge picking up hum from the motor. The level of hum changed as he arm moved across the record. I suppose some turntables will have more trouble with this than others. Then again, maybe I did something wrong. I didn't really know what I was doing back then

radiotvnut
11-02-2013, 06:15 PM
I think many of the older magnetic cartridges were not shielded enough to deal with hum induced from a two-pole motor. I believe the newer cartridges are usually shielded better. I recall the better BSR's with magnetic cartridges had 4-pole motors.

radiotvnut
11-02-2013, 09:26 PM
I talked to Gary and he's sending out a replacement on Monday. He also said that this is the first time he has heard of a new cartridge doing that.

radiotvnut
11-07-2013, 05:22 PM
OK, I can't say enough good things about Gary at www.thevoiceofmusic.com.

Not only did he send out a replacement Pfanstiehl cartridge, he sent out a "no name" cartridge, as well.

As it turns out, the replacement Pfanstiehl cartridge did the same thing as the first one; but, the "no name" cartridge seems to work as it should.

Over the years, I've bought a lot of cartridges, needles, and idler wheels from Gary and will continue to do so, as well as recommend him to others. Also, his prices are the most reasonable of any of the vendors that I've seen.

Tomorrow, I'll send the two Pfanstiehl duds back to him.

Kamakiri
11-07-2013, 06:31 PM
I really have to call him. I need to give my Voice of Music 816-2 a good going over. In fact, I don't think I ever tried the turntable on the thing, and I've had it for about 2 years now.

radiotvnut
11-07-2013, 08:29 PM
Here's the most recent reply from Gary; which, confirms my suspicions:

"Great – the Pfanstiehl cartridges are made in South America by a company that is really concerned with auto parts.. They could really care less. They require more like 6 g or they don’t work right, and they are not compliant enough for modern records anyway. The no names are Tetrads and I have more and will be emphasizing them when I get the time. The needle companies are driving me crazy right now, running out of this and that so I am scrambling for supplies that used to be no problem. Record players are more popular than ever and the suppliers are responding with less and less product, go figure. Thanks for sending the Pfanstiehl’s back!"

DavGoodlin
11-07-2013, 08:37 PM
Great dealing with Mr V-M so far. I hope Gary can source the 5 stylus and rebuild the RCA and Webcor idlers Im about to mail him.