View Full Version : Sanyo VTC9300 No Rewind

soundman2
09-20-2013, 05:54 AM
HI ALL!

Just got this machine from a friend to transfer some Beta tapes to DVD. Sadly, the rewind does not function. Any ideas as to what might be wrong? I don't know Beta VCR's very well.:no::no:

Nick_the_'Nole
09-20-2013, 09:35 AM
It needs new belts.

Unfortunately, none of the usual places seem to carry kits for those early models, so I'm not sure where to get new belts for it... maybe somebody else will know of a source.

soundman2
09-20-2013, 11:57 AM
The perils and pitfalls of owning a vintage Betamax VCR! :) Works quite well for a museum piece! LOL!

Jon A.
09-20-2013, 06:00 PM
Try this place, no all-in-one belt kit available that I could see, but at the very least you will be able to get belts if precisely measured.

http://www.turntableneedles.com/Camcorder--VCR--VDP--DVD--TAD--CD_c_26144.html

Electronic M
09-21-2013, 12:41 PM
If it still plays well the laziest solution is to get a beta tape rewinder.
Not nearly as common as their VHS counterparts but still obtainable.

soundman2
09-22-2013, 01:49 AM
Beta video tape re-winder! That's one solution, but there is another. I need to replace a rubber idler wheel just under the cassette lift mechanism. Does anyone know of a step-by-step guide to do this and to obtain one as my knowledge of Beta recorders is very limited.

soundman2
09-22-2013, 09:54 AM
Just done a Rewind/FF test. On FF it forwards the tape until about half-way through, then slows right down. With no cassette both reels work. I don't think it's an idler tyre problem, I thinks it's more likely to be belts?

Jon A.
09-22-2013, 10:46 AM
Perhaps... remove the bottom cover, turn the thing onto its side and watch for slipping.

soundman2
09-22-2013, 11:24 AM
Had a look at the belts the other day. There are a couple that should be replaced. My educated guess is that the Rewind/FF is done by one belt so I'll have to look through my belt stock to see if I have a suitable one. When I do get round to changing belts (and provided everything works) then I'll leave the idler tyres for another time.

Jon A.
09-22-2013, 11:35 AM
I should add that the pulleys, but *not* the belts, should be cleaned with rubbing alcohol.

soundman2
09-22-2013, 11:37 AM
Absolutely. Pointless replacing belts if the pulleys are not clean! :)

Jon A.
09-22-2013, 11:39 AM
Oh, I meant that cleaning the pulleys is worth a try first, in case the belts aren't actually bad.

soundman2
09-22-2013, 11:50 AM
Ah, Right! Well they could still do with a good clean in any case. I will get this machine to rewind & FF again. Play still works fine!

Jon A.
09-22-2013, 12:09 PM
Cool. :smoke: Got a 1985 Sharp VHS deck here that needs routine maintenance if nothing else, I still don't know if it does anything other than powering up. :p:

holmesuser01
10-09-2013, 10:08 AM
The little idler tires used to be available separately. I don't remember the part number, but I got them from MCM Electronics... Bought them by the 100's.

DrDKW
12-04-2013, 07:49 AM
Hello, I'm new to the Forum

My hobby for many years has included collecting and repairing (in some cases 'jury-rigging') vintage audio and video tape equipment. I've owned a number of Sanyo Beta VCRs, where the fast-wind becomes 'lazy'.
The fast-wind drive assembly between the two tape-cassette spindles incorporates a plastic wheel with a black rubber tire stretched into the groove. The surface of these tires gets dried-out, glazed or cracked. My 'quick' solution has been to carefully pry the tire off, twist it inside out and work it back onto the wheel, so the inside surface of the tire becomes a fresh driving surface. You might need to remove the retaining-clip and remove the fast-wind assemby to work on it.
Now this was back in the '90s. As these machines are much older now, the original tire may be too aged to salvage. But it's worth a try.

Another solution to aged rubber can be found in the assorted sized rubber 'O' rings availible in some plumbing, hardware and auto-parts stores. Even though the round cross-section of the 'O' rings doesn't match the square cross-section of the original tires or belts, it's possible to find a size to work with your original drive wheel or pulley. Maybe not a perfect solution, but can get your vintage tape machine going for awhile.

Happy Motoring, Mark