View Full Version : N M Beitman Most Often needed Television 1946??

baursam
09-14-2013, 01:31 AM
Hi Folks

I am wondering if there was a volume published for 1946 in the Most Often Needed Television service information manuals by N M Beitman. I have 47 to 54 but am not sure if the series started in 46 or 47 for TVs. I know all of the schematics can be found in Riders manuals, its more for collection purposes. Wikipedia says they started in 46, but Wikipedia is hardly the most accurate source (citation needed). :-)

Thanks

bandersen
09-14-2013, 06:36 PM
I'm pretty sure 47 was the first year for TVs. The 46 edition is only radios.

baursam
09-14-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks Bob. You are right. I found an index that went back to 51, which was volume 5. So going backwards, 47 would have been volume 1.

Thanks

earlyfilm
09-15-2013, 09:32 PM
Hi Folks

I am wondering if there was a volume published for 1946 in the Most Often Needed Television service information manuals by N M Beitman. I have 47 to 54 but am not sure if the series started in 46 or 47 for TVs.

In 1947, almost everyone outside of big cities thought that FM radio would be the next big thing instead of television.

There was a 1947 Beitman, which was titled "1947 Most-Often-Needed F.M. and Television Servicing Information."

To the best of my knowledge it was reissued as "1946-1948 Television Servicing Information."

The title and cover were changed, but the contents were almost identical.

I bought my copy of 46-48 combined in the late 1950's but it was misplaced or lost during my last move or I could be more precise on the contents. I still have the original 1947 that I bought to "upgrade" my reissue copy and then discovered it had no additional information.

James.

wa2ise
09-17-2013, 03:29 PM
In 1947, almost everyone outside of big cities thought that FM radio would be the next big thing instead of television.

In a sense they were right, as the TV sound was transmitted in FM. Sarnoff wasn't thrilled... Though the egos involved would effectively prevent it, had Armstrong told Sarnoff that FM would make an excellent soundtrack for TV ("pictures and hifi sound, the public will love it"), maybe their acrimony would have not happened or been at a lower level... Who can know...

dieseljeep
09-18-2013, 09:05 AM
In a sense they were right, as the TV sound was transmitted in FM. Sarnoff wasn't thrilled... Though the egos involved would effectively prevent it, had Armstrong told Sarnoff that FM would make an excellent soundtrack for TV ("pictures and hifi sound, the public will love it"), maybe their acrimony would have not happened or been at a lower level... Who can know...

It seems, RCA didn't build their first FM radio until 1947.
Just about, every other firm was building FM sets pre-war. :scratch2: