View Full Version : Restored TG&Y

lnx64
09-11-2013, 01:10 AM
I finally restored it.. XD This TV really didn't deserve a restore, it's crap, it really is.

Before:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/IMG_2821_zps5237acc2.jpg~original

After:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v395/Evilweredragon/Photobucket%20Desktop%20-%20Brandons%20Mac%20Pro/IMG_2906_zps00232233.jpg~original

May not look like much, but I cleaned out the tuner completely, and recapped the entire chassis..

I really shouldn't have spent the time on this set, but hell. It's a fun little portable TV.

Dude111
09-11-2013, 02:16 PM
And its worth it also!!!!!! (Anything CRT is worth it)

Good for you :)

lnx64
09-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Yep, I'm surprised I got as good as a picture out of it...

Sandy G
09-11-2013, 03:22 PM
Can't tell...Color or B/W ?

lnx64
09-11-2013, 04:26 PM
Black and white.. It's one of those cheap TG&Y's that were really a sampo.

AiboPet
09-12-2013, 07:09 AM
My little 12" GE b/w set I have in the kitchen is a daily watcher. Got that thing pretty much new maybe a year ago from a swap meet....and it's perfect as a daily watcher and just apes whatever I have on in the front room.

Since this set was effectively new (but I think was from 1979 or so), I've never had any reason to open it yet.

Sandy G
09-12-2013, 08:14 AM
We had a TG&Y in my town, I remember how it STUNK in there from all the cheesy, made in Korea/China junque they sold..

Username1
09-12-2013, 09:20 AM
And its worth it also!!!!!! (Anything CRT is worth it)

Good for you :)

I have to agree ! ! !

dieseljeep
09-12-2013, 10:28 AM
I have to agree ! ! !
I only have a few solid state B/W sets. Those are probably the last of them, mostly freebees. One GE, a few RCA's. A even have some NOS, 5 inchers and a couple of Jeep badged all purpose sets. They have a flash-light, fluorescent light, AM/FM radio and of course a 5" B/W TV. :boring:

AiboPet
09-13-2013, 07:18 AM
I have a couple of those Jeep "emergency" sets.....both with no vertical now, and both the same identical set with the funny swing-up flourescents. Pretty sure when I figure one of them out...they will both be fixed :-P

dieseljeep
09-13-2013, 09:01 AM
I have a couple of those Jeep "emergency" sets.....both with no vertical now, and both the same identical set with the funny swing-up flourescents. Pretty sure when I figure one of them out...they will both be fixed :-P

Be careful when you take them apart. I unplugged the interconnecting cables to remove the PC board. None of them were marked and were all the same.
BTW, the last one I got, also has an emergency siren and a mosquito chaser function, as well. CRAZY!

AiboPet
09-13-2013, 02:07 PM
I think I got the first one because it has a little analog clock tacked on one side. I went to go look why it didn't work, and for some reason it just made me giggle to see it's quite literally a little wristwatch module in there. The first one, the little clock was sorta "blown apart" inside....but the second one appears to just be dead, and I haven't looked why (likely has it's own battery that is dead).

Both those Jeep sets failed their vertical within like a month of eachother, and with no symptom. One minute they were fine (but really crappy) sets, and then suddenly noticed the bright horizontal line. No "collapsing", snap...or anything.

They are REALLY terrible sets even when working though. Lots of IF noise...and both have another buzz from some other thing that you could not get rid of with the volume. I literally have them next to doorways for actual emergencies as intended. Some rainy day will have me open one of them up to see what happened the vertical. Both mine are identical...and I think do also have sirens and the mosquito thing. I got them because they were weird...and because of the funny VERY small analog clock.

lnx64
09-13-2013, 02:40 PM
Yea this one has IF buzz too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKIS_KJ4EJ4

Eric H
09-13-2013, 04:45 PM
I collect some of those little sets too but I draw the line at the all in one things like those "Jeep" sets. TV, flashlight and Lantern, all which are likely to leave you in the dark when you most need them. :D

AiboPet
09-13-2013, 05:10 PM
Won't leave me in the dark. If the bulb goes away, then I have the flourescent. If THAT goes...the REAL bright horizontal line on the screen will do :banana::banana: