View Full Version : Another Curtis Mathes BEAST!

Charlie
10-26-2004, 12:33 AM
Man! They must have had it in their heads that bigger was better! Or, at least until they tried moving the damn thing!

This one's in PA.

http://cgi.aol.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=20708&item=4332408462&rd=1&ssPageName=WDVW

Eric H
10-26-2004, 12:58 AM
:wtf:
That thing on top is ugly!
It doesn't even look like it belongs but it houses the tuner so it must be original. Wonder if the 8 track is an add on?

Charlie
10-26-2004, 01:05 AM
Yeah, the control panel does look a little strange. They could have done a better job with the knob layout.

After seeing all of these big CM sets lately, it makes me realize that mine must have been one of the cheaper ones!

Chad Hauris
10-26-2004, 06:23 AM
I have seen that top hutch part on a lot of CM consoles...have not seen an older tube type with real wood veneer though...all the ones I have seen have been particle board. The 8-track looks to be a Craig unit so it was likely someone hooked it up to the CM in the late 70's/early 80's.

Carmine
10-26-2004, 12:40 PM
The 8-track looks to be a Craig unit :banana:

Well hot-damn, a Craig! I know they used to be a great name in Car-stereo! Hmmm, what ever happened to Craig?

bgadow
10-26-2004, 01:57 PM
Lancaster isn't a bad trip for me, but, geesh...no room around here for such a monster & it sure isn't going to win any beauty contests. If it was in bad condition I could see buying it for the crt but as it is, in working shape-I just hope somebody can save it.

Jeffhs
10-28-2004, 01:18 PM
The control panel on that set is rather unusual, especially for a console. I've never seen one like that before. The last time I saw anything even remotely resembling this layout was when I saw a pic, some years ago, of the pop-up control panel of a certain model of RCA solid-state b&w 12" portable from the '70s or so (can't recall the model number offhand, but it could also be operated from batteries, IIRC).

The eight-track system definitely looks like an add-on, as it isn't built into the hutch or the TV console itself.

Craig was a Japanese electronics import company, its heyday being in the '60s and '70s. I note, however, that the company must be making a comeback of sorts, as I occasionally see CD/MP3 players with the Craig name on them being advertised in Circuit City and Best Buy ad flyers in our Sunday newspaper.

Craig also made car stereos for awhile. Don't know if they are still in that facet of the business, but I do recall seeing ads for AM/FM/cassette auto receivers from them a few years ago. It wouldn't surprise me, however, if they are in fact still in the mobile audio business, these days turning out AM/FM/CD or CD/satellite radio systems.

I just took a second look at the CM console being discussed here. The control hutch, IMO, really isn't that ugly--just unique. The hutch has two sliding doors that can hide everything in there, including the aftermarket 8-track deck in this one, so the controls and everything else behind them won't be an eyesore when the set is not being used.

BTW, speaking of eyesores, have you ever noticed how unattractive the front control panels are on many old TVs? The manufacturers try to make up for it by using fancy badges and things on the panels, but the controls are still in full view on most sets. (When the lettering starts wearing off the knobs after a few years, it just makes the problem worse.) The cleanest-looking front panels I've seen on older sets have been the tilt-out control clusters in '70s-vintage RCA color TVs, and a similar design used by Zenith in the '60s and possibly early '70s for their b&w and color consoles, not to mention a line of Admiral color consoles in the '60s with tilt-out control panels as well. I had a 23" Zenith B&W console with such an arrangement; the secondary controls were behind a swing-down door below the CRT. The only two controls visible on the front of the set were the channel selector and on-off/volume control.

New TVs are being manufactured with fewer front-panel adjustments, so we may be seeing a comeback of this sort of design. Almost all TVs, VCRs, and DVD players today are being made with on-screen menus and controls, with only a row of push buttons on the front panel, generally below the CRT in the case of TV sets. My own RCA CTC185 has such a control panel; at night, when my living room is almost dark (except for one lamp in a corner of the room behind the TV), the front control buttons are nearly invisible, as they are black, the same color as the TV cabinet. This is also a big reason I don't want to get rid of this set any time soon, or at least as long as it works (I have an extended service contract on it that runs through 2006)--the newer RCA table sets are in high-tech silver-color cabinets, with the front controls plainly visible.

New Philips Magnavox TVs are available these days only in that color cabinet (silver), but I wouldn't touch them with a ten-foot clip lead because of the flimsy contruction of these sets; I've heard it is possible to push the set off any table it is set on (because of the lightweight construction) without half trying, even when simply pressing one of the front-panel control buttons.

I wonder, as I write this, how many new "Magnavox" TVs have appeared in repair shops for replacement of smashed CRTs or other problems caused when the set fell off the table or stand while the owner was simply turning on the thing or changing channels, invoking menu options or trying to perform other control commands by using the front panel controls. Personally, if I had a set like that, I'd stick to invoking the menus and their options, not to mention volume-on/off and channel selection, via the remote, and would leave the front panel buttons for use only in emergencies, such as when the remote batteries eventually expire (this often happens right when you're all set to watch a favorite show) and you can't find new ones immediately. I rarely use the front buttons on my RCA, preferring instead to operate my entire entertainment system (not just the TV) with an aftermarket RCA universal home-theater remote (RCU-800B). It works well for me, and saves wear and tear on the front controls (almost all of which are pushbuttons) of my entertainment gear.

Charlie
10-28-2004, 01:28 PM
For the price someone gave for that thing when it was new, you'd think they'd GIVE you a remote back then! That way, you could close the top sliding doors covering the controls and just use the remote.

It would be interesting to know what kind of price tag that thing originally had.

So far, all of the 60's CM consoles I've seen were wood and veneer. The two I have are, and the several CM's I went to look at during my last vacation were as well.

It seems that I've only seen two or three listings for CM color chassis during the roundie era. They were probably more focused on a very wide variety of cabinet styles and just depended on RCA clone chassis to go into them. One of the reasons I say this is because my CM set was made in 66, but uses a cTC15 clone... and 15's came out in what... 63?

polaraman
10-29-2004, 10:15 PM
polaraman is the winner! We will soon know what makes this beast tick!!!! Could eight of you meet me at my house next week to get it into the house? :D

bgadow
10-29-2004, 10:36 PM
LOOK OUT FOLKS! HE'S A FREE MAN AND IS GONNA BUY 'UM ALL!!! :yikes:

Sandy G
10-29-2004, 10:57 PM
Hell, it'll take 8 people to lift the radio/tape unit off the top of that sucker...Assuming of course, it DOES come off. Great score, anyway-Sandy G.

Charlie
10-29-2004, 11:02 PM
You certainly don't mind driving some distance to get one of these! Georgia to PA is a pretty good haul!

Congrats on the win! I was really hoping someone here would get this. And when your day comes to pass on, we'll make sure they use the set as your coffin!

Good luck on it's move!

polaraman
10-29-2004, 11:13 PM
I actually am from Pennsylvania. I am going home (PA) on leave this week to vote and visit the folks. Lancaster is like 30 miles away. I had hoped to line up some sets to make the drive more interesting. Scheduled to pick up a Westinghouse in Virgnia on Sunday. No girlfriend equals plenty of cash!! :naughty:

Charlie
10-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Yeah, I hear ya! I recall my check book getting unusually fat after my wife split. Not to say she wasn't worth a thin checkbook, but, it is quite amazing how much it grows once they leave.

Eric H
10-29-2004, 11:22 PM
Could eight of you meet me at my house next week to get it into the house? :D

You ain't kidding! that has to weigh 300 lbs :yikes:

Maybe you can sell the eight track for enough to pay for the set. :D

nasadowsk
10-29-2004, 11:56 PM
I have a friend who's looking for a beast system. The wider and bigger, the better. Prefferably in the Northeast region.

I think this one's a bit too radical, though. He wants a bit lower and ULTRAWIDE. Wooden, TV, phono, stereo. I'd prefer a roundie since I'm gonna have to fix the thing ;)

Charlie
10-30-2004, 12:34 AM
Nasa,

Seems like this one would have been good for your friend... although i don't recall where it was. I think this one was up for auction a few weeks back. I don't think they come any wider than this one... wasn't it like 80 inches wide???

Reece
10-30-2004, 08:17 PM
Aren't the dollies in the picture part of the original equpment?

Reece

nasadowsk
10-31-2004, 01:34 AM
Charlie - yeah, that's what he wants! If anyone sees one in the Northeast area, or on ebay on the east coast - let me know. Has to have a stereo in it too.

1/2 the reason he wants them - they're cool. Other 1/2? Too big for the parents to throw out on him!

Remember, the wider the better!

polaraman
11-03-2004, 10:57 PM
I just arrived home! The beast is on the back of the truck. The CRT has a 1 AUGUST1980 rebuild date stamped on it. More later

polaraman

Charlie
11-03-2004, 11:37 PM
Wow... you got that set in your truck? Hope you remembered to pick your testicles up off the ground after you loaded it! :D

polaraman
11-03-2004, 11:42 PM
It took three of us to get it in! There was a one foot drop from the dock to the bed of my truck. Broke one of the legs off loading it. I am going to Home Depot after work to get some wheels for this tank. :scratch2: Got two more sets on the trip. I will post those on the black and white thread.

polaraman

jstout66
11-04-2004, 06:18 AM
A 1980 rebuild date on that tube is pretty good! With putting that money into it, one would assume they got at least 10+ years more use out of it, so it couldn't have been out of service for very long. I think the last year my Uncle put in a round tube was 1982 and it was a chore to find one available then. I still remember that set. It was a "plain Jane" CTC-16 and he put in a Sylvania "New Gun" tube and a flyback. Can't wait for you to post your "findings" and pix!

Jeffhs
11-04-2004, 01:48 PM
If this set's former owner got 24 years of good service from that CRT (and it still makes a good picture today), it must have been a good tube. :thmbsp: When you consider most tubes are getting dim after ten years (some modern ones get too weak to watch after only three to five years), if a tube is double that age, and then some, and still has a good picture, good brightness and all, it is excellent--almost unbelievable. I would be tempted to think your CM console wasn't even used that much, or perhaps very rarely, after the new CRT was installed.

Too bad the TV program That's Incredible! isn't around anymore. If it were, I'd suggest you try to get your CM on it. As I said above, 24 good years from a color CRT is darned nearly incredible. The only thing I can figure is that the CRT in your set was made by RCA or some other manufacturer from TV's early days, as the tube seems to be every bit like the Energizer battery--it keeps going and going and going . . .

BTW, sorry to hear that one leg broke off the console while you were offloading it from your truck. (Shouldn't be too much of a job reattaching it, although you will have the heck of a time putting the cabinet in a position such that you can do it; seems to me you may have to take the chassis out, do something with the control hutch on top . . . Even at that, the cabinet will be heavy enough that you'll need plenty of help to get it on its back.)

The idea of putting wheels on the cabinet is good--I never heard of that being done with a console that big. If you do that, however, just make sure the set doesn't go rolling around in your living room or basement, wherever you plan to put it, every time you so much as nudge the cabinet. When/if it does, believe me, you'll know it--it will sound like a freight train rumbling through the house or worse. :D

polaraman
11-04-2004, 04:25 PM
Here it is!!! It has AM/FM Stereo with a tuning eye!

Charlie
11-04-2004, 04:46 PM
Is it hiding? I don't see anything! :dunno:

polaraman
11-04-2004, 04:52 PM
Pictures do not seem to be loading. I will try later.

polaraman
11-04-2004, 07:35 PM
Second try!

polaraman
11-04-2004, 07:37 PM
Closer TV chassis. Missing a 12BY7 tube.

polaraman
11-04-2004, 07:40 PM
Radio chassis. Too hard to see.

polaraman
11-04-2004, 07:43 PM
Another view.

Charlie
11-04-2004, 07:51 PM
Yeah that looks like the C20/C21 chassis. It appears that someone yanked the 6AQ5 audio tube.

Hey you can't kill those old trucks!

Charlie
11-04-2004, 07:53 PM
When you picked it up, did the owner have any story or history about the set?

polaraman
11-04-2004, 07:54 PM
My trusty steed hauled this monster home!

polaraman
11-04-2004, 08:01 PM
The set was donated to the Boys and Girls club. They then sold it on Ebay. They also have a real nice thrift store. I also bought a Heywood Wakefield coffee table. I will sell that to get some money back from the trip. They had a real nice operation for kids. It was nice to see the effort they were taking. No information about the history of the set.

polaraman

Sandy G
11-04-2004, 08:40 PM
It don't look nearly as huge & outsized from the back as it does from the front. That's a set of SERIOUS speakers it has-bet you can't wait to hear 'em. GREAT score-you should be very, very proud !! -Sandy G.

heathkit tv
11-05-2004, 01:16 AM
You may need to take out a loan to pay the electric bill when you run that rig! LOL

Anthony

Chad Hauris
11-05-2004, 06:48 AM
The 6AQ5 may have been omitted from the factory as the sound from the TV would come through the stereo amp on this model.

Charlie
11-05-2004, 09:56 AM
The 6AQ5 may have been omitted from the factory as the sound from the TV would come through the stereo amp on this model.

On my CM color set, they actually give you a choice. There is a standard 4" speaker that operates from the tv chassis 6AQ5. Or, if you like, just turn on stereo amp to "TV" and then the sound comes thru the rest of the speakers... although it will not be in stereo.

I have a VCR/DVD player combo connected to CM and pulls double duty. The back of the player has both 75 ohm coax and rca outputs. The 75 ohm coax connector of course is plugged into the tv using a 75-300 ohm transformer. The RCA L & R audio outputs plug into the "TAPE" inputs of the stereo amp. Now, I can use the VCR/DVD player as my cable box, and for any tv station broadcasting in stereo, I turn on the stereo amp to TAPE. Sound is awsome! There is, however, a selector on the big amp that says TV, but it is only in mono, and personally, i find it to sound kinda cheesy. Of course, setting up the player this way also gives your DVD's in stereo as well.

If I am simply listening to an audio CD, just pop it in the DVD player and turn on the stereo amp to tape while leaving the tv off. Playing music CD's thru these old tube stereos is awesome! You get a super-clean sound without it sounding so digital. Also, I find the tube amps in these big consoles to have really impressive stereo seperation.

Come to think of it, i'd love to hear that new Motorola tube system that Doug brought home a few days ago!

Eric H
11-05-2004, 12:48 PM
Nasa,

Seems like this one would have been good for your friend... although i don't recall where it was. I think this one was up for auction a few weeks back. I don't think they come any wider than this one... wasn't it like 80 inches wide???

It's baaack: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=63564&item=6129477242&rd=1

nasadowsk
11-06-2004, 09:43 PM
That's the perfect set for my friend, but it's too far away for us, unless someone closer could pick it up for us and hold it until we can get it :(

Perfect set, wrong location :( :( :(

polaraman
11-07-2004, 06:15 PM
This Baby has wheels!!!! I got it into the house. All by myself I might add. I spent $50 on the casters and wood. The radio and phono function perfectly. The tape player has the pause button stuck. I am going to rip into that soon. The Tv is working but needs adjustment. I dropped the back on the stuff on the neck. Tossed the color out of sync. I am working on getting it right. Will post pictures of the Tv soon. It is a C20 TV chassis.

polaraman

polaraman
11-07-2004, 06:38 PM
OH! The 6AQ5 was not needed. Here is a pic of the screen.

polaraman

Charlie
11-07-2004, 07:35 PM
Cool rig Polar! Those wheels look like they should be sturdy enough to carry it! :yes: From the looks of the picture, it shouldn't take much to get it playing right. Full raster, good brightness, tunes in stations... get your color back in order and you'll be set! :thmbsp:

Sandy G
11-07-2004, 07:52 PM
Kewl !!! I think that was $50 truly well invested on those 2X4s & casters. Looks like you're gonna have that bad boy back ship-shape in no time-does it SOUND as good as it looked like it would? -Sandy G.

polaraman
11-07-2004, 08:05 PM
The sound is awesome!!!! :banana: I played a record and it really sounded awesome. I dug out all my Christmas records for the coming season. I have one 8 track tape. The Six wives of Henry the VIII by Rick Wakeman. Would love to find that on CD. The radio works on all functions.

polaraman

Eric H
11-07-2004, 08:49 PM
How is the cabinet on this thing?
In the eBay pics it looked like it might be a little rough but your pics seem to show a really nice cab?

So cool that it actually works (mostly)

The wheels are a good idea, now what engine are you planning to use, 318, 440... :lmao:

Sandy G
11-07-2004, 08:52 PM
Hell, that sucka needs that 8 liter V-10 outta the Viper....the 6.8 V-10 outta my Excursion prolly wouldn't haul it !!!-Sandy G.

polaraman
11-07-2004, 09:38 PM
I was actually thinking of contacting Monster Garage. I would let Jesse James monster this thing out. The engine would have to be wide enough to have the valve covers sticking out each side. :naughty:

The cabinet is pretty nice from 10 feet. It has some water damage on top and a few nicks.

polaraman

polaraman
11-12-2004, 06:15 PM
Got into the beast yesterday.

Found one bad tube in the phono cahssis. It was easy to spot because it was cracked and white. I was lucky and had a replacement.

The Tv chassis has a bad 6JU8. I had to order one. It will be here next week. The CRT tests perfect. Once I get that tube I can really go to town.

polaraman

Charlie
11-12-2004, 06:53 PM
Sounds like a well spent 50 bucks! The picture toob by itself is worth more than that! :yes:

polaraman
11-12-2004, 08:11 PM
It was well worth the $50. It will be the center of my vintage color section. A local Tv friend is going to come over next week to help me set the color. I am not really up on setting the stuff on the neck. He is going to show me.

polaraman

polaraman
10-22-2006, 04:33 PM
After seeing drh4683 work on the RCA combo, I decided to start restoration on this monster. I took the set apart for my move in January. Today, I removed the C20 chassis to put it on the bench. Next, I removed the radio chassis. Then I installed the CRT back in place. I took it out because I was afraid the movers would bust the CRT neck. The CRT has a rebuild date of 1980. Got the SAMS and will place the order for the needed CAPS next week. (payday) I had to label all the cables for replacement later. This is going to be fun!!! :D

The Craig 8 track was toast. I may attempt to find a working 8 track to replace it.

The record player/changer works like it should. It will sound much better when all the caps get replaced. I may also send the cartridge to West-Tech to be rebuilt.

polaraman

Adam
10-22-2006, 06:28 PM
I like that set, :yes: that's the first time I've seen a C/M roundie. Is that chassis their own design, or is it like my Philco where they more or less just used an RCA chassis with their own tuner and all their own radio/amp/phono stuff. It looks alot like my ctc-15, but not exactly.
About the 8-track, I just hooked an 8-track into my RCA ctc-15 combo, and it sounds great, much better than through the junker late model receiver I had it hooked to before.

polaraman
10-22-2006, 06:30 PM
Question?

Three capacitors in the radio chassis. The caps look like electrolytics but are not electrolytics.

.047 @ 600v oil
.022 @ 600v oil

Where should I use to replace the above caps?

Adam, I believe it is an RCA clone chassis. A few of us have CM roundies. Charlie has a nice CM here: http://www.ct-tv.50megs.com/

polaraman

Bobby Brady
10-22-2006, 07:13 PM
Is it a remote and if so could we see a pic of the remote?

polaraman
10-22-2006, 07:17 PM
It has everything but remote control. It would really be the cats a** if it was a remote control set.

polaraman

polaraman
10-22-2006, 09:28 PM
The TV chassis is on my RCA test jig. Looks like a vertical problem to me!!! Pretty good lollipop color. :D

polaraman

polaraman
10-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Got it! I got the SAMS (831-2) out and did some control/alignment adjustments. Got a great full color picture on the screen of my test jig. Now if I can just repeat this while in the set. :scratch2:

2ND shot is the chassis hooked to the test jig. This thing is really nice. :D

polaraman

Jeffhs
10-22-2006, 11:31 PM
What happened to the 8-track player? You said it was "toast", which I think means it's a total loss (I'm not up on a lot of the new slang in use these days). I'm thinking the player has a blue million things wrong with it, like a burned-out motor, mangled transport mechanism, damaged or destroyed preamp/amp circuits . . . man, that player must be a mess.

Good luck finding another 8-track. These players were popular in the mid-'60s through the mid-'80s in cars, and appeared in TVs and home stereo systems through the '70s; the last time I saw one was in 1972, in my then-stepmother's car. (I also owned a Zenith 4-mode stereo system in the early 1980s, which also had a 8-track player/recorder deck.) I don't know if you'll be able to find standalone 8-track players anywhere anymore; your best bet may be to try and find one from a junked Zenith or other 1970s-vintage entertainment center and mount it in a base. The Craig 8-track player which was originally with that console of yours, IIRC, was probably an aftermarket add-on.

polaraman
10-22-2006, 11:50 PM
The 8 track was a cheap model and I did not think it was worth repairing. If it were in working condition I would have left it there. I actually think the set came with a reel to reel tape deck. There are signs that a slide out tape deck of some sort was original to this set. It was probabally replaced with a then modern 8 track. I found this Realistic cassette player at a local thrift store a few weeks ago. It has the connections to hook it up to the radio/audio chassis. The cassette tape deck only cost me $2.00. It is not the greatest but it was CHEAP! :smoke:

polaraman

Jeffhs
10-23-2006, 01:38 PM
The 8 track was a cheap model and I did not think it was worth repairing. If it were in working condition I would have left it there. I actually think the set came with a reel to reel tape deck. There are signs that a slide out tape deck of some sort was original to this set. It was probabally replaced with a then modern 8 track. I found this Realistic cassette player at a local thrift store a few weeks ago. It has the connections to hook it up to the radio/audio chassis. The cassette tape deck only cost me $2.00. It is not the greatest but it was CHEAP! :smoke:

polaraman

The Realistic brand was marketed by Radio Shack in the '60s and '70s and was fairly good then, :yes: not like much of the gear made for RS today. :no: Your deck will play metal (chrome) tape and also has a tape bias selector, so it wasn't just an ordinary recorder and probably was not terribly cheap when it was new. (They are always cheaper at thrift stores such as Goodwill, et al. as you found out.) I once picked up a working stereo cassette deck (trash day find) years ago that had the chrome tape selector, bias adjustments and all...and it worked very well, replacing the cassette deck in my Zenith four-mode integrated stereo (its built-in deck was starting to develop problems such as no record, auto-stop was not working, etc. after 16 years or so). The external deck worked great the rest of the time I had the Zenith stereo (maybe a year or so). Got rid of both units when I moved in 1999 and bought a newer stereo (Aiwa 200-total-watt bookshelf digital system with 3CD changer, digital tuner, surround sound, etc.), but don't you know it, after seven years one of the cassette decks in the newer unit went bad; oh well, I see that a lot of the newer mini stereo systems only have one cassette deck anyway, so I don't feel so bad now about losing the playback-only deck in mine. The other deck, which is record and playback, still works; I don't record on cassettes very often anymore as most of the cassettes I have are pre-recorded. I'm in the process of burning a lot of those cassettes to CDs anyway, so the deck is mostly used for playback only. If I ever wanted two decks in my stereo again I could always patch in a Panasonic RX-FS400 boom box, which was a trash find here about a month or so ago. The only thing wrong with that unit, believe it or not, was that the cover for the battery compartment was missing (and the old batteries, which were still in the player when I found it, had leaked, making a mess on the terminals--but no corrosion); it even had the AC cord still attached when I found it. Just goes to show that not everything one finds in the trash is junk.

The stuff folks find in thrift stores isn't so bad either, as you found out. In the '70s there was a thrift store on the next street over from where I lived at the time; I picked up some interesting stuff there, and at reasonable prices, such as a Zenith Royal 500 eight-transistor portable radio. I don't remember how much I paid for it, but it couldn't have been more than a couple bucks; later, in the eighties, I got a Zenith Royal 820 AM/FM portable for $3 at a thrift store near my old neighborhood. Both radios worked, and well, but unfortunately I don't have either set anymore. :no:

Probably should have kept the external deck I used with my Zenith stereo as it was a fairly good unit. They don't make them like that anymore; that includes decks like your $2 thrift-store Radio Shack find. I would guess that deck went for maybe $60-$70 or so when new perhaps 20-25 years ago.

The Craig brand of audio gear, radios and so on, popular in the '60s and early '70s, was cheap stuff from Japan, and generally not worth repairing once it got a few years of use. As I said in my answer to your last post before this one, I don't know what was wrong with the 8-track deck that came with your CM entertainment center, but from your description it must have been plenty messed up--as I said, possibly transport problems, maybe troubles with the preamp/amp system...anything. (Was the set hit by lightning at any time? This could have fried the amplifier board in no time flat; same if there was a power surge from a defective regulator transistor or a power-line surge.) However, with a cheap unit like the Craig 8-track, you were wise not to try to repair it or have it fixed, as it likely would have cost more than the whole deck was worth just to have it looked at, let alone repaired. Eight-track systems are out of date anyway. Unless you have a collection of 8-track tapes you still listen to once in a while, it's probably better to simply replace the 8-track player with a cassette deck (as you did) or, better yet in this day and age, a CD player. Have you considered having your 8-track tapes transferred to cassettes or CDs? Just a thought. If you have an audio editing program such as Audacity you can transfer just about any kind of tape to or from any other format. I have the Audacity editor and use it to burn my cassettes to CDs, although it is a rather time-consuming job as it entails three steps: recording the cassette to the computer's hard drive, exporting the audio file as mp3 format, then burning the mp3 file onto the CD. Takes me about 90 minutes to two hours or so to transfer one cassette, so I ordinarily don't do more than one in any given evening. I generally just transfer my cassettes to the computer, burn them to CDs as a backup, and listen to the cassettes through my computer using Winamp (and my stereo system as the amplifier). Sounds wonderful, even with the computer's so-so stereo sound card and using Sony MDR-24 stereo headphones (as I use when listening after midnight or so, when everyone else in the apartment building has gone to bed); Winamp doesn't sound half bad through the system's own three-way speaker systems (with powered subwoofers) either, which I use during the day.

The only problem I have right now is running out of space on my hard disk. My computer has a 20GB hard drive, of which about 15GB is used to store other programs and the computer's own operating system; that leaves me with only about 5GB for storage.Much of that is being used for other purposes such as information storage for my word processor. Guess I'll have to get another external hard disk eventually if I want to keep most or all of my cassettes in the system (I have perhaps 80 or more cassettes in my collection to date). A new computer with Windows XP and all the bells and whistles wouldn't hurt either, but I can't afford it right now, :no: which is why I'm still using--gasp!--Windows 98SE--some years after Microsoft discontinued support for it and perhaps five or so years since the operating system was new and top-of-the-line. Gee, being an audiophile in the 21st century isn't what it used to be!

polaraman
10-23-2006, 08:49 PM
I pulled the AMP chassis tonight. Not too much to replace in this chassis. It has 4 6BQ5, 1 12AX7 and 1 5U4GB. The sound has 12" speakers and a horn on each side. I will take pictures of them later. There is a 10 November 1964 date stamped on the power transformer.

polaraman

Charlie
11-03-2006, 05:38 PM
The Matsushita oil-filled capacitors are common in the CM's. My color CM didn't have them, but my B&W CM was loaded with them... mainly the .047's. They are not lytics. Simply replace with new orange drops.

Oddly, I found every one of the oil caps to test right on the money when I pulled them out. Not a single one was off spec.

fujifrontier
11-17-2006, 10:18 PM
i want to see it