View Full Version : '61 RCA, CTC-11, Maple Cabinet

BigDavesTV
09-04-2013, 11:33 AM
Here, finally, are pictures of the 1961 RCA, CTC-11 in Early American Maple Cabinet, that I picked up from the original owner, in NW Illinois, almost two months ago. Monday, after successfully restoring the nearly dead 21FBP22, RCA HI-LITE (1967 date code) CRT, I was able to fire up the chassis, and was rewarded with a halfway decent picture, shown below, pic 1! A few quick adjustments later, I received the next two pictures!:banana: This (first) picture was after repairing an intermittent ground on the Horiz. Osc. PC Board, and replacing a very shorted 3A3 HV Rect., and sort-of "rigging" the VHF Tuner! I still have a little more to do, of course, and until I get all that done, the set will only be occasionally turned on, for a few minutes at a time! I really like this Maple Cabinet, I have one other '61 RCA Color, in a Danish Modern style cabinet. This (maple) CTC-11, could really use a replacement VHF Tuner, even though I only use channel 3, if anyone has a used tuner, I'd be interested to know. Just wanted to share my progress thus far, more later!:yes:

bozey45
09-04-2013, 12:41 PM
I have that exact same set, the tube only has about 4 or 5 hours on it, great looking color on these. Mine has a loss of vertical output haven't been able to get it working again. The set was originally a lobby set at WTVT Channel 13 in Tampa where I worked for 30 years; was given to me by an engineer in the late 1970's. Good to see one like it in working condition.

classicradios
09-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Nice looking TV! I can already imagine Top Cat or Flintstones playing on it.
Any photos of the Danish Modern '61?

BigDavesTV
09-04-2013, 08:58 PM
As suggested by "classicradios," here is a photo of my other '61 RCA, CTC-11, in Danish Modern Style Cabinet, according to info. I found on the web last year, it's the "Hathaway" Model! This photo I took shortly after I got it home, soon to be one year ago, with it's 21FJP22 (was a rebuilt, installed in June, 1978) and it had "gone to air" even though it was not necked at all! The first thing I had to do to it, was find another CRT and replace it, which I did, it has quite a nice picture, but I still have to get back to it, (likely a winter project:), and adjust the convergence better. I will post a couple pictures of this Danish Modern set, working, in the next day or so! I really like the styles of both the Maple Colonial, and the "Dane!"

Eric H
09-04-2013, 09:46 PM
I have a chassis from a Silvertone, it's an RCA CTC 11 I think. Wonder if it has the same tuner?

Tom S
09-04-2013, 10:32 PM
I have the same model. Nice set

Phil Nelson
09-04-2013, 11:05 PM
I have a chassis from a Silvertone, it's an RCA CTC 11 I think. Wonder if it has the same tuner?There were something like eight CTC-11 chassis (11A, 11B, etc.) with several different tuners.

The tuners have their own parts numbers: KRK98C, KRK98D, KRK98J, KRK98K, KRK99C, KRK99D, KRK99J, KRK99K. Some of the VHF tuners were paired with UHF tuners. All of that is listed in the Sams manual. If your Silvertone chassis was actually built by RCA, perhaps its tuner shows a part number that matches one of those.

I'm not a big fan of the CTC-11 tuner, which seems rather cheap. I cleaned mine very, very carefully. Lately it has been getting funky. Maybe just worn out. I could pull the chassis and clean it again, but I have so-o-o-o-o many other more pressing things to do.

Phil Nelson

BigDavesTV
09-05-2013, 11:41 AM
Thanks guys, Phil is absolutely right, there were several different tuners used on the CTC-11 Chassis, I will have to see the KRK Number on mine, then I will photograph it, and send a PM to Eric H. My set has UHF, but I'd be happy with a complete VHF ONLY Tuner, especially since I only need channel 3 to be good, in my area, the UHF would still be there for appearance sake. I think that lightning (static charge from) may have run-in on this old RCA tuner, at some time in it's life! I say that based on my tuners appearance, and the fact that the home it came from is on a hill, and they once had a Rohn Tower out back!

zenithfan1
09-05-2013, 01:14 PM
Beautiful sets! My favorite is the Danish Modern style, LOVE it! :)

Phil Nelson
09-05-2013, 02:44 PM
What is wrong with your tuner, exactly? Have you tried cleaning it?

Phil Nelson

classicradios
09-05-2013, 03:18 PM
That Danish Modern is stunning! I love that style too.
Hope to see photos of it working someday.

walterbeers
09-07-2013, 08:11 PM
I had a CTC11 several years ago, got tired of pushing it around, although it did work somewhat, but had a weak crt, and I dumped it off at the Goodwill trailer one night. Now I could kick my self for doing it. Didn't think back then they were worth much. I now have a CTC9 that I repaired and has a good picture. Believe me I'm not getting rid of that one anytime soon.

Charlie
09-09-2013, 08:09 AM
Those are awesome sets, Dave! :yes: :thmbsp:

Dude111
09-09-2013, 03:34 PM
Dave: Nice looking sets my friend!!

Wanna thank you for sharing them :)

BigDavesTV
09-11-2013, 11:43 AM
Thanks, Guys, for the compliments, suggestions and encouragement, I appreciate it! I'm having LOTS of fun collecting and working on these classics, and I will post some more pictures in the near future, especially of the Danish Modern Set working, it has an acceptable picture for now, but this winter when I've more time indoors, I have a few sets that need convergence touch-ups, etc., now that I've finally got a working pattern generator (or two:). "Stay-tuned" as they used to say when I was younger, I also remember the phrase "Please stand by" during technical difficulties! And yet another that went something like "the reception problem is not the fault of your receiver!" Just remembered these.

Einar72
09-12-2013, 12:14 AM
Mine is in a black lacquer cabinet with a second speaker grille. Oddly enough, it was plug-and-play from Seattle Goodwill in 1983, still have it, and, plan tofind a better CRT someday...

BigDavesTV
09-21-2013, 09:26 AM
After retubesing the progress of Eric H, and his beautiful CTC-10 "Wynnwood," I saw the bad tubes picture, and thought I'd post a picture of the very bad 3A3 HVR tube that was in my Maple CTC-11! It's a Zenith replacement from long ago, I don't recall ever seeing an HVR as nasty looking as this one! It's amazing that the set had HV even for a short time, and it didn't ruin the Fly! The HV would come up, then disappear, before the video could be displayed! It was also due to a cracked solder joint on the horizontal osc. bd., not sure if that aided the destruction of the 3A3, or not. Is this what can happen when your RCA isn't re-tubed with Genuine RCA Receiving Tubes?! :-) :-) Every replaced tube in this set, including the CRT, is RCA, except for the bad Zenith 3A3! The 3A3 tested shorted, BTW!
The bad tube picture will follow later, I can't attach it right now, but I will later today!

BigDavesTV
09-21-2013, 09:29 AM
That first sentence should have said, "After reading the progress of..." Stupid typing errors :-)! Bigdave

classicradios
09-21-2013, 09:50 AM
Any photos of the Danish set working yet?
Both great looking sets!

Electronic M
09-21-2013, 01:33 PM
That dane is a real looker.

BigDavesTV
09-21-2013, 05:24 PM
Here are the bad 3A3 pic's. that I promised earlier today! Hopefully they will attach, now! Mostly "operator error:)" I'm better repairing OLD electronics, rather than doing PC stuff! Bigdave

BigDavesTV
09-21-2013, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the reminder, "classicradios!" I had forgotten about posting pic's. of the Dane set working! I only have one poor shot right now, I will make a few better ones in the next day or so, and post more. This picture was taken right after I installed the replacement CRT, and did only a "very quick" static convergence. The picture was not as blue as my camera made it look in the darkened room. More pic's of this set in a day or so!

BigDavesTV
09-21-2013, 05:40 PM
BTW, I sure hope Eric H is able to gracefully remove the bonded safety glass from that replacement CRT, basically making it into a fit replacement 21FBP22, for that CTC-10 Wynwood, can't wait to see pics of that set working, and the cabinet refinished!